Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index
alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/13/2008 10:35 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bob g
Citation
Posts 6681
Word Cnt. 408,035
BDay Oct 18
Sign Libra
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Oct 20, 2005
Local time: 11:35 PM
peace.gif
banana

A friend of mine gave me his not so old Dell Latitude C640 Model PP01L !!!! 1 gig Pentium. 3/4 gig memory. 40 gig hdd. Win XP Pro. I've got a lot to learn! First, the dadgum Dell web site! I can't find the specs page. It's got at least a DVD player, don't know if it'll burn. Haven't tried the internet. I bought a mouse for her! Dancing Paid $2.97. The screen is 14" diagonally. I've never played with XP. Do you have to log on as administrator to change things around? I've got some installing and uninstalling to do!

First a Dem in the whitehouse and now this!!!

banana
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by bob g Send private message  
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/13/2008 10:55 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30757
Word Cnt. 2,628,690
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 1:35 AM
Location: St Pete, FL
peace.gif
That's kewl.  From my experience, Dell is one of the easier PCs to work on when there is a problem.  This should be a step up from your W98 PC...

Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/14/2008 12:10 AM Reply with quote
Citation
bob g
Citation
Posts 6681
Word Cnt. 408,035
BDay Oct 18
Sign Libra
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Oct 20, 2005
Local time: 11:35 PM
peace.gif
Yep. As much as I love Old Nelly.

I don't have the XP disk. I need to creat a rescue disk right away. This is a third-hand comp and all on the same install, I think. The first owner was an IT guy so I'm a little worried about the security settings. There sure is a lot of stuff in Add/Remove Programs that look like I could get rid of. dontknow A lot to learn.
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by bob g Send private message  
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/14/2008 1:06 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 11:35 PM
Location: Texas
texasC.gif
Oh wow Bob, I'm so glad for you!!  You will LOVE XP.  

Talk to us, tell us what you're doing, what you're seeing, how you're doing, or not doing!  LOL  Ain't it fun??!


blob8
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/14/2008 1:24 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 11:35 PM
Location: Texas
texasC.gif
You will need this page for drivers, manual and support!  You can even  scan your computer for the current information


Technical Support for Latitude C640



sunny
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/14/2008 8:26 AM Reply with quote
Citation
bob g
Citation
Posts 6681
Word Cnt. 408,035
BDay Oct 18
Sign Libra
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Oct 20, 2005
Local time: 11:35 PM
peace.gif
Yes it is fun! Thanks for the link. I got the stand alone SIW to find out what it's got. I was wrong, it's a 2.2 GHz Pentium single core, and a 32 GB hdd, 3/4 GB DDR memory running at 133 ?Hz, and I think it may have a DVD burner. I haven't tried the classic Start menu yet. That'll probably feel more like home. BUT I LIKE IT!

I've been poking around in Control Panel and Explorer. Wiped 600 of my friend's old cookies. Nothing is where it's supposed to be! But I'll got used to it. I'm still a little shy about putting it on the internet. That'll probably last about another hour. I'M SO HAPPY!

There's still a lot of uninstalling to do but that's scary too. Ya know? Printers and cameras and IM's and things. I THINK!?!
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by bob g Send private message  
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/14/2008 9:00 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 11:35 PM
Location: Texas
texasC.gif
Quote:
There's still a lot of uninstalling to do but that's scary too. Ya know? Printers and cameras and IM's and things.

I know what you mean, sometimes it's hard to tell what the heck the thing is!!  LOL  Google is your friend.  But don't just read one result, I've found a lot of people out there are wrong! Would you believe?! Pays to get more than one opinion/view.

Install Zone Alarm and AVG Free and you're good to go online.  Also CCleaner is good for cleaning out the junk, I've used it for a very long time on Win98, W2K and now XP and XP 64bit and have not had any problems.  Close all browsers before using it so it can clean out cache, history and stuff like that.  ALSO it has a Tools utility that will uninstall anything the Add and Remover can't.  Which doesn't happen too often.

It also has a registry cleaner that will first backup your registry and I've used it without any problems ever.  I don't use it often, maybe once every two or three months if I've done a lot of installing and uninstalling.  Bob Proffett at the Cnet Help Forum is not a big fan of registry cleaners, just ask him!!  LOL

You can find a ton of tips and help online for XP, just Google!!

Have fun, Bob!


blob8
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/14/2008 4:50 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bob g
Citation
Posts 6681
Word Cnt. 408,035
BDay Oct 18
Sign Libra
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Oct 20, 2005
Local time: 11:35 PM
peace.gif
I'm grabbing AVG Free, ZoneAlarm Free, Spybot Free, Ad-Aware Free, Irfanview Free, WordWeb Free, . I already gots Gadwin. wave The main reason I don't get the paid versions is that you have to re-up every dang year! Anyhow, getting them on Betsy here and burning them to CD. That way I can scan 'em first.

Another GOOD friend is MD5summer 1.2.0.5 to verify downloads. Many big downloads will tell you what the check-sums is supposed to be. If they don't, you can always get two, from different sites and check 'em against eachother. There's lots of others out there, maybe better, but MD5summer is my old friend.

As to uninstalling, there's a bunch of HP stuff I'm pretty sure is printers. There may be some useful things attached to these like photo manipulators. dontknow There's a darn "Logitech Has A Message For You" gizmo that keeps popping up. What I can find about Logitech so far is some thing called Desktop Manager and Desktop Environment or somesuch words as that. That's a bit scary. I'll do the research. And McAfee want's to get updated NOW! Dagnabit!

I'm thinking an external hdd for back up. These come with their own restore software, don't they? I'll ask at the store, check with google and then ask here which for approval. Unless you know the top-dog right off? Is EASEUS Disk Copy the one you were talking about a while ago? They've got a free PartitionMagic substitute too. EASEUS Partition Manager Home Edition V2.1 - FREE It's #1 in class at CNET. (I don't think it's 64 bit. dontknow )

You know what's fun about this? It feels like work... but it snot.

OH! I know! A free downloadable map program with directions and stuff. "... go 3 miles and turn left at the dead snake on the fence." ???
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by bob g Send private message  
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/14/2008 10:04 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4814
Word Cnt. 427,902
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Feb 09, 2005
Local time: 1:35 PM
Location: Sterling IL
usaCa.gif
Sounds like you have wireless internet, thats good. Be sure to do as you said and make recovery cds, a lot of people have trouble with dells konking out and its a real pain to get windows back through dell help. If it was me I would reformat right away and start fresh.
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
Re: I GOT A LAPTOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: 11/15/2008 1:24 AM Reply with quote
Citation
bob g
Citation
Posts 6681
Word Cnt. 408,035
BDay Oct 18
Sign Libra
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Oct 20, 2005
Local time: 11:35 PM
peace.gif
Me too Fish, but I don't have the Win XP CD. It didn't come with any CD at all. The cheapest I see for one is $114.91. Anyhow it's working pretty good so far. dontknow No WiFi. I'll probably get one though.

Do you have a laptop?
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by bob g Send private message  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6


Add To Bookmarks

 
  
  


  Google

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Page generation time: 0.0609s (PHP: 82% - SQL: 18%) - SQL queries: 57 - GZIP disabled - Debug on