Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index
alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
My connection is bad
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
My connection is bad
PostPosted: 02/15/2007 12:06 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4814
Word Cnt. 427,902
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Feb 09, 2005
Local time: 1:03 AM
Location: Sterling IL
usaCa.gif
Well I figured it out, it wasn't IX, nor was if Revver or utube, its my internet connection again. No wonder I had so much trouble in ftp trying to send stuff. I called cable and they are to come out again. Last month he changed a connection box but I bet its something else. Seems everytime a storm goes through I get a bad connection. I have broadband but its slower than dialup right now.
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
Re: My connection is bad
PostPosted: 02/15/2007 1:29 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30757
Word Cnt. 2,628,690
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 1:03 PM
Location: St Pete, FL
peace.gif
Well at least you now know what the problem is and it will only be a matter of time before it is corrected.  Hopefully things will be back to "normal" in no time at all...

munky2
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: My connection is bad
PostPosted: 02/15/2007 3:50 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4814
Word Cnt. 427,902
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Feb 09, 2005
Local time: 1:03 AM
Location: Sterling IL
usaCa.gif
The connection was good, he checked it from my house. He almost charged me but I insisted he not. We ran a check in speed check, type that into to google and it checks your line, which was good. I checked for spy cams, found one but then I removed the wireless moden and ran direct and it works now. I either need a new cable or a new moden, both are only two years old. Paid 15 for the wire and 25 for the moden. The modem was from ebay.
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
Re: My connection is bad
PostPosted: 02/15/2007 10:27 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30757
Word Cnt. 2,628,690
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 1:03 PM
Location: St Pete, FL
peace.gif
It sounds like you are narrowing down the problem.  I wish the cable guy could have fixed the problem so that you wouldn't have to invest any money into the problem.  Hopefully you can find a good replacement modem at a decent price...

munky2
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: My connection is bad
PostPosted: 02/15/2007 10:59 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 11:03 AM
Location: Texas
texasC.gif
Roadrunner has been pretty good about check out and replacing stuff and not charging anything.  They replaced my modem twice aleady.  They kept changing out cable and things and service would be good for a while and then get lousy.  They discovered the problem was with the connection on the pole.  Once they repluged my cable into another receptical all my problems ended.  

Unless they are working in the neighborhood and the connection is cut off for a short while.


sunny
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: My connection is bad
PostPosted: 02/19/2007 8:39 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4814
Word Cnt. 427,902
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Feb 09, 2005
Local time: 1:03 AM
Location: Sterling IL
usaCa.gif
Here is some info on the roads I went down -

I bought a laptop and didn't know anything about networks, so thought I'd go cheap and buy a router on ebay and learn as I go. I paid $25 plus shipping. It came and was easy to set up, no cd, no book, no cords. I just hooked it up and it worked, for one year then it konked out making lots of trouble for me and the people I complained to, like my web hosts & my internet BB service, who almost charged me for coming. You see they rent routers and don't like taking calls because people have trouble wioth routers that aren't theirs.

I found a router on sale at staples yesterday for $20, and guess what? It came with the eithernet cord (I paid $15 for one I have since the ebay router didn't come with making the total $35 I paid through ebay). It works great, it picks up the whole neighborhood. Thats nice but I set it as unsecure and that was permanent because I cannopt find how to undo this bad choice, which takes me down another bumpy road. OK I tried reinstalling, I tried configurations everywhere, no good. I tried to get ahold of netgear but since I couldn't see my serial number to give them when I installed, they locked me out. Thats stupid, the serial number is too small to read and after its hooked up its impossible to read. People need to test their own stuf but they don't.

Anyway I have an unsecure network if anyone knows how I can fix this let me know. I may have to use go back, unhook everything and reinstall it all just to click one box. I have no idea what they are talking about, but I see one neighbor has unsecure netwaork and other neighbor does. I want mine sevure, why did they even ask? I thought maybe it would restrict me and since I live out of town I didn't think I needed it, but I do. So if anyone knows what this is or how to turn security back on for network let me know, I don't see anything. I did turn off file sharing for now, but I want this feature, need that secure network where ever it is. The CD won't let me in for that last step since I don't have serial number listed and so my password won't work. This sucks, they are screwed up in installation, like I said, they don't test their own stuff otr theyd know I may want to add the security later, and I may not be able to read the serial number on router after hooked up, maybe instead of listing pin number all over the place that I haven;'t needed yet and put that dam number where I can read and typw. Makes me so mad.
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
Re: My connection is bad
PostPosted: 02/19/2007 2:18 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30757
Word Cnt. 2,628,690
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 1:03 PM
Location: St Pete, FL
peace.gif
I really don't know anything about setting up security on the router.  Your best option would probably be to reinstall everything again if you can't find a place to change the security preferences...

munky2
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
 Post new topic  Reply to topic
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1


Add To Bookmarks

 
  
  


  Google

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Page generation time: 0.0522s (PHP: 79% - SQL: 21%) - SQL queries: 48 - GZIP disabled - Debug on