alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
My monitor just went out
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: My monitor just went out
PostPosted: 10/09/2011 1:35 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 4:56 AM
texasC.gif
Looked at some Dells.  Here is a 24"  reasonably priced

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs& cs=19&sku=320-9334

However they don't include the DVI cable, couldn't find a warranty, and it doesn't have speakers built in.  Matter of fact I have not run across even one Dell monitor that does have speakers.  I know, I know the sound is not all that great from speakers on monitors but I like the fact I don't have to deal with all the wires, cords and power-supplies that come with exterior speakers.

I have spent hours looking at monitors, selecting some and rejecting others based on what I want and the price.  I like a Samsung, $350, but I think most of that price is due to the included TV tuner and other features which I doubt I would ever use.  It only has a 1 year warranty.  Man, the old CRT monitors would easily last 10 or 15 years but that doesn't seem to be the case with these flat screens.  

Right now I'm leaning toward this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

3 year warranty, free ship, has built in speakers, DVI connection and has a nice clean look.  I also like this:

ASUS Rapid Replacement Program ASUS now covers return shipping as well as shipping back to the end user, and offers free cross-shipping advanced swap for all urgent LCD RMAs requiring further expedition. Now you can get a replacement LCD as you send your RMA, because good customer service just makes sense

Haven't ordered anything yet, will keep looking for a couple of days.  Thank you mojo and Jaddon for the input.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 10/09/2011 2:02 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Hummm, I just realized there are two versions of the Asus, same price.

Asus VE248H Black 24"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

ASUS VS248H-P Black 24"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153

I can't determine the difference in quality or features between the H and the H-P.  Other than the H-P doesn't have speakers and is not free ship.

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 10/09/2011 4:06 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 6:56 PM
usaCa.gif
I don't know that much about them rb. I thought you already bought a new one a few months ago...?

I will share this: My son bought a new one, paid a good price too, supposed to be really good. He bought it on line somewhere, newegg maybe, paid a couple hundred. It looks sharp and crisp, so much so that I went home and switched my smaller newer monitor (acer) which is also a sharp crisp image, and it didn't take long and I switched back to my soya 23" - BECAUSE it bothered my eyes so bad I couldn't stand it. It is just way too bright. I could have turned the brightness down but might as well stick with the larger screen that doesn't bother my eyes. So my soyo, going on 4 years old I think, is the one I like best, better than my son's new one even. I would recommend not spending a lot.

I would also recommend getting separate speakers, they can make a world of difference in sound quality. I have 2 sets of klipsch, one for each pc.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 10/09/2011 9:48 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Thanks for your input, fishead, appreciate it.  

I think I've now looked at just about every brand of monitor known to man.  In some cases the reviews all pan the same feature in a certain monitor to the point you wonder why the maker even bothered to produced the monitor in the first place.

I'm using a 19" Hannspree monitor right now with built in speakers and the sound is very good.  Course I have to admit I don't know too much about quality of sound.  Looked at 24 - 25" Hannspree monitors too, good prices, and the reviews seem to be about 50/50  from "it's a great monitor" to "it's a piece of crap".  LOL  I see nothing wrong with the one I'm using now.

dontknow
PostPosted: 10/12/2011 1:27 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
Local time: 5:56 AM
usaCa.gif
Quote:
Yep, I'm beginning to realize I'm going to have to up my price range if I want a decent monitor.  The ViewSonic I have now cost $389 new and it was on sale.  It's only about 4 years old and this is the second time the backlight has gone out.  The first time it was still under warranty and they repaired it for free.  Repair didn't last long, I expected another 3 years.  I'm getting a little turned off on ViewSonic

Wow only 4 years, then for sure would not get an other.   I find you cant always go by the reviews most are posted only after a few weeks of less of owner the product.
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 10/12/2011 12:22 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
That's true Chrissy, about reviews. The beat place to find an ongoing problem with a product may be a forum for the product!

I was really all set to order that Asus VE248H monitor but after reading about it on the ASUS forum I'm not so sure.  This starts in 2010 but goes on into 2011.  Some of it is rather hilarious.

[Problem]VE248H ghosting

The one guy mentions that his monitor was made in April of 2011 and had this problem.  It's not likely I would get a newer make so at high risk of having the same problem.  The one guy on the 1st page posted a fix but I think that just exchanged one problem or another one.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Brick wall
PostPosted: 10/13/2011 12:50 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
This is what I'm ending up with:

Samsung S24A300B 24-Inch Class LED Monitor

I'm tired of looking and reviewing.  I closed my eyes and ordered.  LOL

blob8 I'm so glad that's done!
PostPosted: 10/22/2011 9:15 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Received the monitor and plugged it up.  Couldn't decide if I got a pig in a poke or a lemon with no peel.  After pulling my hair, calling tech support and throwing things for 3 days I did finally manage to find a Samsung utility that helped me adjust the color to as near perfect as possible.

DANG!  Whatever happened to Plug and Play!!?

wave
PostPosted: 10/22/2011 1:43 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
Local time: 5:56 AM
usaCa.gif
yay glad you got it working!!!  Best of luck with your new Monitor!!! Smile
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 10/23/2011 9:06 PM Reply with quote
Citation
mojo
Citation
Posts 8935
Word Cnt. 174,404
BDay Nov 26
Sign Sagittarius
usaCa.gif
Plug n play is the way they should all be.  Glad u got it going!
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC