alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
How can I divide my hard disk ?
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
PostPosted: 11/02/2005 2:34 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 3:24 AM
peace.gif
Since you are on dial-up, it will take a long time.  PartitionExpert is 14 MB and TrueImage is 26 MB.  IMO, they are worth it though...

You would want to download these files for PE:You would want to download these files for TI:
headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 11/02/2005 2:50 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 1:24 AM
peace.gif
thanks!
I am downloading them now. PE is at about 12% already! TI is only at 3%, and will be about four hours...maybe a little less... But I have my PC online all day anyway.
I probably won't be posting much, everything's realy slow now
View user's profile Find all posts by TieDyeQueen Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Re: How can I divide my hard disk ?
PostPosted: 11/02/2005 3:06 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
TieDyeQueen wrote:
I probably won't be posting much, everything's realy slow now

I can relate.  If I wasn't using Opera for my browser, I probably wouldn't post anything at all during a download.  At least with Opera, I can be doing a dozen things at once and I can post and move to the next window.  I usually have over 20 Opera windows open all the time, so I don't really have to worry about how long it takes for a page to load or a message to submit.  They do it when they are ready and then I can come back to them later...

TDQ, if you have any trouble with the install, I will be happy to help you with it...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 11/02/2005 6:00 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
peace.gif
Dang! That was a lot faster than I expected! They're done downloading already!
I'm pretty sure I can figure out installing, but I will let you know if I get hung up anywhere! Thanks so much!
View user's profile Find all posts by TieDyeQueen Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 9:48 AM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
peace.gif
So far, I have installed Partition Expert, and True Image Corporate Workstation. There is another prod. key, but I don't know what it's for...There were three options when I chose the TICW to install; I didn't know what the other two were, and I don't know which one of them the key is for - Management Console or Agent?

I did manage to read some of the help files, and it says that it'll take 20 CDRs and around five hours to do a backup! Shocked Oh boy! i don't know how I'm gonna stay offline for that long! sad11  
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 10:40 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
TDQ, I'm no expert with True Image although I use it a lot but only for creating images.  I'm not sure what you mean about the 5 CDs and 5 hours.  I suppose that's if you want to backup your system to CDs.  

I always store my created image to the 2nd HDD.  Or you can store the image on another partition on your main HDD.  My thinking is though if the main HDD goes out than you have lost your image also.  

Creating an image is very simple, the program leads you through it fairly easily.  First you chose the drive or partition you want to image and then the partition where you want to store it.  I prepare a folder for the image before hand but you can do that within the program also.

I go pass the password and extra notes pages.  I forget stuff too easily to try to password an image for crying in the milk!!

Open the program and look it over, go through the steps, nothing will happen until you "commit"  So if you're not sure don't commit!  LOL

Come back and ask questions.

wave
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 10:55 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
One of the neat features is the cloning capability.  That's when you move everying (actually mades a copy, the old stuff stays put), to a new HDD.

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/features-cloning.html

When it's finished you're good to go.

An image is a compressed snap shot of a partition and has to be "restored" to full size, the clone like I said is a copy and it's full size.

wave
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 11:04 AM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
peace.gif
RoseBud wrote:
I always store my created image to the 2nd HDD.  Or you can store the image on another partition on your main HDD.  My thinking is though if the main HDD goes out than you have lost your image also.

I don't have a second HDD, I am going to partition my existing HDD, so I can have a server on part of it - just for testing database stuff and PHP. So I have to back up everything, in case I foul up the partioning. And I have to back up to CDRs because I don't have a DVD burner or a ZIP drive...
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 11:47 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
I see.  Since you don't have a 2nd HDD than the CDs are a good option.   However .....

In addition I think I would create a partition just for the image on your HDD.  If you can spare about 10 GB create a partition and name it IMAGES, and store the image there.

Like I said I'm no expert at this and have only done plain imaging for myself, I'm sure Blake can give you better advice once he comes online.  I have never backup to CDs.

binky
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 1:59 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
TDQ, rb sent you a different TrueImage install file than what I used so I can only guess what you need.  The install sounds very similar though.  I would select the last option to install:

Either included key that she provided should work for you too...

You might want to consider buying a DVD burner.  You can usually get a good deal on them at Best Buy and you can burn up to 4.7 GB or more on a blank DVD.  You can only burn 700 MB on a blank CD.  The blank DVD will be large enough to store most images that you create.  I'd much rather burn to one blank DVD than 10-20 CDs too.  There's too much room for error when you have to use so many different CDs...

My guide is to keep the majority of my partitions at 20 GB or less.  The smaller the partition, the easier it is to manage and maintain.  It's better to have 3-8 partitions under 20 GB than to have one large one and it limits your risk on each partition.  That also gives you a place on the hdd to store your TrueImage image.  You can't store your image on the same partition that you are imaging...

headbang
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC