alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Modem problems
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: Modem problems
PostPosted: 02/16/2011 5:05 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 6:16 AM
texasC.gif
Quote:
I think it needs drivers from the new mother board company

That's for certain!  Windows runs off that mobo. What mobo is it?  Dave, if you can't find the info on the mobo itself (and that can be hard to find sometimes) download and install Belarc Advisor on to that PC

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

OH wait!  Can't get online, I forgot.  Download the program to a flash drive with your PC than take it to the guy's PC and install it on his PC, then run it.  It will probably ask if you want to update the program, say no because you don't have access to the internet so it can't update anyway.

Run Belarc and it will tell you all about that PC including the name/number of the mobo.  You will see a page like the one below and the name of the mobo will be under Main Circuit Board.  Give us that name and we will help you find the drivers.  Also there may be a manual for it online that you can download.  The guy needs to let you take the PC home with you, you could make better headway.

View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/16/2011 6:10 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:16 PM
usaCa.gif
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure he has the wrong windows disc. So the problems are compounded. He can buy a new pc for $400 and he has the money.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/16/2011 6:22 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure he has the wrong windows disc.

It really doesn't matter, he can put any version of Windows on any PC as long as the hardware supports it (and it's a legal copy), it doesn't have to be the same version of Windows that was on there before.  If it's older than Vista he should be OK but I'm wondering about validation.  When you get the PC online and need to validate or update the system there may be a problem.....

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/16/2011 6:27 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
He can buy a new pc for $400 and he has the money.

That's good to know in case it blows up.  He may just be trying to squeeze out another year or two use out of this old jalopy.  LOL  Could be worth it if all he does is email and a bit of surfing.

Course, unfortunately you're the one having to deal with the old rattle trap.   sunny

One good thing since it's pretty much a clean slate you don't have to worry about losing anything important and can try just about anything you want.

wave
PostPosted: 02/18/2011 1:54 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I told him twice now that I don't want to work on it, I have my own work to do but he keeps bugging me about it. Now he says he found his discs and wants me to install them and see if that helps. I have never had to take a pc in to get worked on, but that doesn't mean I want to fix other peoples computers cause I don't.

He burns movies with it and nothing else. That is hard on computers and something made that thing black screen to begin with, so its like trying to fix a horse with a broken leg.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/18/2011 2:59 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
If you do decide to install the drivers let us know the results.  Hope everything works fine.  There is still the validation and updating of the system.  If he did use the wrong disk this should be interesting.  What OS is it, XP?

sunny
PostPosted: 02/19/2011 9:03 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Yes xp. The guy that died has a son that found the original disc and was bringing down, so that will solve that part of it but it still has a new mb that should have come with drivers on a cd.
PostPosted: 02/19/2011 10:20 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
but it still has a new mb that should have come with drivers on a cd.

Yes there should be a disk of drivers for that mobo.  If they can't find that disk let us know the exact name of the mobo and we can find them online.  

I know you're not too keen on working on that PC but think of it as a fun and learning experience.  AND ask to take it home with you for 2 or 3 days so you can run the updates and install the essentials such as firewall and virus program.

If the OS the son is bringing is the same one that was installed on the present mobo there shouldn't be a problem with updates from Microsoft, however should you have a problem with the updates see this web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

sunny
PostPosted: 02/21/2011 6:50 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Its an intel mobo, I tried to find drivers on line but that was a difficult process, I found all kinds of drivers but finding the right ones was about impossible. I really don't enjoy working on it, reformating was fun but finding drivers with out full knowledge of what I was dealing with wasn't fun at all. I have plenty of other work to do on my website that I can hardly keep up with. He hasn't called, I think he knows I am tired of working on it. He offered to bring it over but I don't have a place to set it up, my desk is full.
PostPosted: 03/04/2011 12:31 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
So ......  What's happening with the PC?  Anything?

dontknow
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC