alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Modem problems
Goto page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Modem problems
PostPosted: 02/12/2011 3:47 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 10:43 AM
usaCa.gif
I reformated a pc for a friend and it doesn't detect the modem so can't get online. It has xp, and come to find out someone replaced the mb some time ago. It is a systemax pc and their website is not user friendly and finding the right driver is about impossible. I am wondering, even if I find the driver for that pc, will it even work since its a new mother board?

The guy that was working on his pc has all his discs, but he died last week. I would think the new mb would come with a disc with drivers...?

He may be able to get the discs from a relative but its not happening fast.

This pc, systemax, model name is tiger... that doesn't sound right but the only thing I can find on it. I have the s number but their website doesn't start with that, it just shows you drivers and find what you need from a garbled mess. Getting frustrated.

I could put in an old modem I have but I hate to part with it because I had similar problems after reformating my vista pc with new xp, would detect modem so had to use old one to get driver which is on cd but I still hate to part with it. Even if I got online with it in his pc I would never find the right driver on their sight. That pc really sucks, cheaply made. It has a phone number on the back to call, seems like a warning sign for trouble when they do that.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
Re: Modem problems
PostPosted: 02/12/2011 4:21 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 8:43 PM
texasC.gif
Quote:
It has a phone number on the back to call, seems like a warning sign for trouble when they do that
Ain't it the truth tho!

Have you tried uninstalling it in Device Manager, rebooting and having it reinstall itself?  

Try this, you may have even done this already but in case you haven't:  Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.  In Device Manager go to Network adapters and double click on it, double click the Adapter go to the Driver tab and click the Update Driver button.  Windows may have a driver for it.

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/12/2011 7:27 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I tried that. The modem had all kinds of yellow ??? marks.

I was finally able to find a place in that computer website to type in a serial number and get the drivers. I put in on cd so he will have them next time. I won't know if they will work till next week because he is going out of town.

You wouldn't believe that computer, its like all plastic. The sides have tabs broke off and it won't close well. I replaced one op drive and the tabs broke off and no screws were used to hold the optical drives in place. It came with almost nothing for software. This thing makes hp look good.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/12/2011 8:14 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
The modem had all kinds of yellow ??? marks.

In a case like that I usually uninstall or delete the device (right click on the device and choose uninstall from the menu that pops up) and reboot the machine.  At least when the machine boots back up and the device attempts to install, and if there is a problem, it will give a clue what's wrong when it produces an error box.

Lets hope the driver you found will do the trick.  If not the port may be damaged and he will need to buy and install a card type modem.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/15/2011 7:17 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Thanks, I'll try that if need be, uninstall and reboot. I do have a card type modem but I don't want to part with it, I may need it myself.
PostPosted: 02/15/2011 7:46 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I can't find where to buy those modem cards anywhere for broadband.
PostPosted: 02/15/2011 8:20 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
They come in prices from cheap to OH MY GOSH!

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CX-8139DII&cat=NET

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CX-8169SC&cat=NET

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=B011-012-PX03-PB&cat=NET

dontknow
PostPosted: 02/15/2011 8:24 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I finally remembered they were called eithernet cards. They are cheap. I have an extra around somewhere I need to find so I don't have to pull that one I was using out of my pc.
PostPosted: 02/15/2011 8:26 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
OH forgot this one!  LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106043

sunny
PostPosted: 02/16/2011 1:33 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I went over there again, I am frustrated with that computer, the drivers didn't do the trick. I think it needs drivers from the new mother board company, there are probably discs that came with it but he doesn't have them. The video card and sound card don't work either, has yellow question marks for those three things. When the keyboard didn't work while trying to reformat I think it was a warning sign, it had to have an old style plug in. Trying to get him to just buy a new computer, I am tired of wasting time on this. If he can't get the disc with drivers it is a pain to have to try to find them elsewhere. I think it was a mistake to replace the mb to begin with, he should have just bought a new pc. I told him to take it somewhere else but I will try to get drivers with mb serial number in hand but don't have high hopes.

Then theres the original problem to consider, something fried the os, it wouldn't boot up, something caused this so could be soaking time into it for nothing. Also, I'm not sure if the copy of his OS is even the os that came with his pc, seems like this is from another pc, it has almost no software with it. He does have a backup on an external hd, but like I said, I am tired of messing with it (especially for free).
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC