alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Building a new computer...
Goto page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Building a new computer...
PostPosted: 09/24/2010 6:10 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Spider
Citation
Posts 3792
Word Cnt. 212,332
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 2:40 AM
blank.gif
I am probably building a new computer. I haven't been following the evolution computer wise though. 5 years ago I'd know exactly what to get and now I am lost.

I am thinking of this for a mother board.

This for processor.

This for RAM

My question is what graphic card and sound card do I need. I don't need a gamers GC since I don't play games. Sound card... yes I do listen to a lot of music.

And then HDD. I prefer Seagate. It doesn't matter if it is internal or external but cheaper is better. I am thinking about 500GB - 1TB.

Any suggestion is welcome!

munky2
View user's profile Find all posts by Spider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map Google Talk
Re: Building a new computer...
PostPosted: 09/24/2010 9:57 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 12:40 AM
texasC.gif
Oh boy!  Are you going to have some fun!  I'm a bit green.....  LOL

I too have not been keeping up with what's out there these days.  When Blake and I built the ones we have they were top of the line (and as far as I'm concerned they STILL are, I love my PC) but when I read the specs on models that are for sale, ready built, I see that technology is moving fast.

The Processor sounds great.  I found a review and it sounds very positive.  Looks like there is a newer model (760), not sure it's better.  Read about your processor chip here:

Review
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 09/24/2010 10:15 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Another review for the 750

They also talk about the Core i7 920 at $280 and others.  

Here they show test results ( see previous page to see what PC models they used to get these results), however they are using a i7 920 4.13GHz processor to get those great top results.  The one you linked to is a 2.66GHz which is about 3rd in that test.

blob8
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 09/24/2010 10:28 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
L@@K at this!

A chart with hundreds of Processors benchmarked.  Yours is in the red square.  All in all it seems impressive unless you have money to burn.  Still you can go over the list above yours and see some reasonably priced CPUs.

Warning!:  I have no idea how accurate or reliable these benchmarks are! LOL

sunny
PostPosted: 09/24/2010 10:59 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
MSI Microstar MOBO

I like the specs, sounds great.  Wow, 10 USB ports.  Be aware the Micro ATX is a very small board, approx. 9" by 9", which is fine nothing wrong with that, the size has a lot of advantages. I like a little more room for my hands and fingers to move around when I'm plugging and unplugging stuff.  LOL  A big advantage is you can use a very small case.

Spider did you click on the line "See our Components Product Guide" the bottom of the list of specs?  It a neat guide to selecting components for building a PC.

sunny
PostPosted: 09/24/2010 11:28 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Crucial 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module - 4GB (2 x 2GB) - 1066MHz

Sounds excellent.  I know you favor Crucial but Corsair has the 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module 1600MHz for a good price right now and it's for use with Dual Channel DDR3 Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors.  Scroll down the page and read more about it.

Corsair

Besides, the Corsair is so PRETTY!!  LOL

sunny
PostPosted: 09/26/2010 5:33 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Spider
Citation
Posts 3792
Word Cnt. 212,332
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
blank.gif
Thanks RB. How about this CPU for this MoBo?
View user's profile Find all posts by Spider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map Google Talk
PostPosted: 09/26/2010 8:21 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Yes!  That mobo even has a 3.0 USB port on the rear panel and one 3.0 USB connecter on board!  The processor says a heat sink and fan are included, I didn't see that on the first one you linked to although I think they usually are included with most processors.  Also it ranks a good bit higher on that chart.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5+750+%40+2 .67GHz

If they are within your budget I'd say they are well worth considering..

blob8
PostPosted: 09/26/2010 3:44 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Spider
Citation
Posts 3792
Word Cnt. 212,332
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
blank.gif
What would you recommend RB? Budget is about $800 - $1000. You're the expert so to say... I built mine 7 years ago and you built yours, what, 4 yrs ago?
Let me know.

dontknow
PostPosted: 09/26/2010 4:46 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
What would you recommend RB?

Oh Spider don't put me in that position!  I wouldn't even know where to start.  I can look at what you show and comment on it, research it, but wouldn't even attempt to put together all the components for someone else.  Actually I didn't even for myself, Nightrider did most of the picking, sorting and matching.  That was in '08.

You would do well to get some advice from Nightrider if you want to do it right. With the two items you last linked to and the Memory that I like you're up to about $550 and you still need a case, CD/DVD burner/player (and player alone if you want one), graphic card, PSU, HDD .....  Don't know if you will be needing new monitor, keyboard and mouse or you plan to use what you have .....

You may need to go back to the first mobo and processor you posted.  They are a nice pair. Still not sure you can do it for $1000 or under.  When you build your own it usually cost more than one off the shelf but you get to choose what goes inside and pick better components.

Maybe someone else will come along and give you some help and advice.

sunny
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC