alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Computer keeps rebooting
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: Computer keeps rebooting
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 12:19 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 9:39 PM
usaCa.gif
Edit -  no I tried that sys restore while in safe mode but didn't work,. This was a recovery, not restore. It wiped the program files and reinstalled .

while it was rebooting, i gave a hard start and got windows didn't load properly black screen with a few choices, open normally, open in safe mode, and one of the other choices was to recover system files. I had already tried sys restore in safe mode but didn;t help the rebooting problem so I decided to use that restore instead.

Most of the software is back now and seems to work ok, but lost some things - adobe ps elements 2, I think since it didn't load yesterday I uninstalled, but all the files were still in that other user folder archive. I just reinstalled it and its working.

I do have my website builders, and many more things but can't get email, find and replace, and others.

Last edited by fishead on 09/06/2010 1:14 PM; edited 2 times in total
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 12:48 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I got ftp back, but had to reinstall.

I am now getting 72 updates from ms. It is also installing iE8.

Optical drives still work just fine.

I'm just a little worried about all those system files sitting under user files separately.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 1:29 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:39 AM
texasC.gif
Quote:
I'm just a little worried about all those system files sitting under user files separately.

I don't know what to tell you about that except don't delete them.  LOL  I think when the OS was reinstalled it chose that folder to place the system files.  Only thing I can reason out .....

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 1:42 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I think it will be safe to delete them after I sort out the ones that don't work anymore.

These are in c/documents and settings/user name/ so they are considered person files, ok to delete. I had several downloads left over in a folder called downloads and I got some of these to still work. I will have to re-install printers and all that sort of thing, all the older stuff.

Now I know how they get rid of viruses for people without losing personal files. They don't do a reformat, only a system recovery. and for very little work they make a lot of money.
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 1:54 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
How to Do a System Recovery

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-System-Recovery
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 3:05 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:39 AM
texasC.gif
A System Recovery is suppose to take the PC back to the factory install and everything you installed after purchasing it would be gone.  That doesn't seem to be what happened in your case, you still have a lot of your old stuff..  Matter of fact most of it.  I wouldn't even begin to guess what happened ...

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 3:11 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
This is what I did:

When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

edit: I think I pressed F10, it said presss f10 for sys recovery while rebooting so I quick clicked on it and it started

edit: i THINK that was a feature with this pc, it had backup stored on hd partition, I think all my hp pcs have it.

Last edited by fishead on 09/06/2010 3:24 PM; edited 2 times in total
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 3:12 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Sp3 was huge and took a long time. I was getting hp drivers when ie8 wouldn't start and needed updates it said, so I got sp3 and that took about 45-60 minutes.

Incompatable add-on, allow to run anyway - what ever that means.

Hp add ons (not verified) and causing problems. Back to getting drivers anyway.

edit- drive letter add on had to be disabled. It kept trying to reinstal service pack 3.
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 5:49 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
advanced find and replace was kind enough to give me my key to get it back.
PostPosted: 09/07/2010 7:12 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
#############################################################

I have a trojan, doing a complete reformat now. I left it on all night doing sys scan and thats what I woke up to.

I think I will use an external email, maybe outlook express is where this came from.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC