alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Computer keeps rebooting
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: Computer keeps rebooting
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 9:59 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:59 PM
texasC.gif
OK, I was typing while you were posting.......  Wait and see how things go after all the updates and the SP3.  It's next to impossible to do anything when Windows is installing a huge amount of updates.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:00 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 9:59 AM
usaCa.gif
not getting anywhere so went in to manually do ms updates and it shows auto updates isn't even on, but I have it enabled. That activity light just won't stop. So I will see what I can get manually before I turn auto updates on in ms updates.

I think it did do a clean install, it wiped the hd of everything except links to softwares and maybe my photoshop 5 , but everything else is wiped off. It re-installed everything from scratch, all the junk that came with.

Email still fighting me, I think this in ms updates too, it needs something. I could start a clean install but I doubt I get anywhere further.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:11 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Hold on, somethings not right, it shows the 300 gig hd 2/3 full or more, that means my data is still in here somewhere, it should be almost empty. I will try to see what I can do and if I can't salvage whats lost I will do a complete reformat.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:16 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I'm in program files, documents and settings and properties is showing 100,00 files and counting and 20 gigs and counting. I don't know if this is good or bad, but if I can salvage my find and replace it will save me money and maybe I can get lost emails. Otherwise I can do a new reformat. I do think this fixed my problems with drives and more.
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:20 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Left click the Start button, then left click Run, when the box opens paste in ...  sfc /scannow ... there is a space between c and /.  Like I said it may ask for SP3 or your install CD.  Since it did a restore or reinstall you may have the I386 folder on your HDD.

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:25 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Not sure what your find and replace was like but is there anything you can use here:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/programming/searchandreplace.shtml

dontknow
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:30 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I'll have to try those later. Right now I am moving all my personal folders to my documents. I may keep going with this and see what happens. It would save me a lot of time if I don't have to retrieve everything from another hd. and besides, I may have missed backing up something.

The activity light could be because there is still such a large volumn of data on the hd.
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:38 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
If everything is still in here, can I get back all the softwares and my email? I think program files and everything is in this section. Could I just replace program file folder, or maybe move all the missing folders, would I get softwares back?
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:43 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
I have no idea, Dave.  I've never been in this position with an OS before and don't have a very good handle on just how Windows handles things.  Maybe Nightrider would know.  I'll email him and have him look at this thread.

wave
PostPosted: 09/06/2010 11:55 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Dave, when you said you did a System Restore just how did you do that?  The System Restore I'm thinking of should not have done all what happened to you.  If you used the Utility provided by XP it says you can undo what you have done ...

Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC