alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Question
Goto page: 1, 2  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Bugs/Suggestions/Comments Add To Bookmarks
Question
PostPosted: 11/18/2004 2:53 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Catmando
Citation
Posts 1002
Word Cnt. 321,964
BDay Nov 28
Sign Sagittarius
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 4:14 AM
blank.gif
Hope this does not come off as nit-picky, but I was wondering if the forum software might allow one to still get the most recent posts since last visit but ignore certain forums.

Reason for this is because I was using this handy feature, of posts since last visit, and now this feature is virtually over-run by the news wire posts.

Just asking.  Smile
Re: Question
PostPosted: 11/21/2004 12:54 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 8:14 AM
peace.gif
It's too bad that the newsfeeds are represented as posts instead of in a separate non-related window.  AFAIK, I have no way to turn the new post count off for individual forums.  Based on the number of views in the Newsfeeds, I'm beginning to believe that no one is interested in them anyway.  If that is the case, I might as well shut that process down completely...

The newsfeeds require a manual effort to retrieve new messages.  So if I don't retrieve new newsfeeds from time to time, we get nothing new.  If we are to keep that feature here, we really need to have an automated process that retrieves new posts at a given interval.  Otherwise it is likely to be neglected completely...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 11/21/2004 1:29 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Catmando
Citation
Posts 1002
Word Cnt. 321,964
BDay Nov 28
Sign Sagittarius
blank.gif
Thanks Nightrider.  You could take a vote/poll.  I'd of course vote to dispense with the news feed mainly because of the recent post issue I brought up.

I perhaps looked at a couple of them, but I'm pretty much stuck in my rut of finding my own news and if I start to read about a news article, I don't want to have to go elsewhere to finish reading about it anyway, which is why I prefer being able to post news articles in the News Forum.  Smile
PostPosted: 11/21/2004 3:16 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:14 AM
blank.gif
For whatever it's worth, the newsfeeds are a bit overwhelming when they come in, there's so many to read. Like Catmando, I get my news elsewhere, and have looked at only a few of the feeds here. Since you have to manually retrieve them, I wouldn't be upset if you decided to remove that mod, Nightrider. It was a good thought, and I think would work better if it could have been separated from the forum posts, as you mentioned. Thanks!
PostPosted: 11/21/2004 4:12 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Catmando
Citation
Posts 1002
Word Cnt. 321,964
BDay Nov 28
Sign Sagittarius
blank.gif
bigR wrote:
For whatever it's worth, the newsfeeds are a bit overwhelming when they come in, there's so many to read. Like Catmando, I get my news elsewhere, and have looked at only a few of the feeds here. Since you have to manually retrieve them, I wouldn't be upset if you decided to remove that mod, Nightrider. It was a good thought, and I think would work better if it could have been separated from the forum posts, as you mentioned. Thanks!

BigR,

I think I should take back that recent "ribbing" now that we have two for removing/relocating and things are looking up in my neck of the woods.  Wink
PostPosted: 11/21/2004 4:40 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
blank.gif
Ribbing and teasing is fine, in a good-natured way, and I found yours friendly ribbing. As for the news feeds, I expressed my opinion, but am happy with whatever the admins decide. Different forums have different software, different setups, and I have to work around whatever is there.
PostPosted: 11/22/2004 2:29 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
bigR wrote:

I don't think I will be removing the MOD since I seem to have figured out a work-around that would satisfy the needs of both those who like it and those who don't.  I could remove you from the new Newsfeed Group making it so you would no longer see the Newsfeed Forums if you prefer.  I could also create groups for each forum so that you could see some of them but not all...

Currently, I am receiving input feeds from Reuters, NYT, BBC, USA Today, and CBS.  If that is too much, I could cut them down to just a favored few or pick some feeds from any sources you prefer.  This whole thing can evolve to the point where we can retrieve whatever you want to see.  All that's necessary is that you let me know what you want and I can probably make it happen...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 11/22/2004 12:40 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
blank.gif
I'm fine with whatever you decide. I've glanced in the news feeds now and again, found some interesting items, but it's not a high priority. Let's leave it as is for now, and I'll email you if I decide I want them removed from my view here.
PostPosted: 11/23/2004 3:17 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I plan to make a group for each different newsfeed forum so you can pick and choose which ones you want to see on a regular basis.  In fact, I will probaby create a group for each forum in our Community...

I added a MOD yesterday that allows members to join any open group without assistance from an administrator.  So if I create a group for each forum, each member could custom design what they want to see when they access the Main Index page...

Unfortunately if you want out of a group that you currently belong to, an Administrator is still required to remove your name.  Hopefully that will change in the future as well...

headbang
PostPosted: 11/23/2004 3:27 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Catmando
Citation
Posts 1002
Word Cnt. 321,964
BDay Nov 28
Sign Sagittarius
blank.gif
Nightrider wrote:
I plan to make a group for each different newsfeed forum so you can pick and choose which ones you want to see on a regular basis.  In fact, I will probaby create a group for each forum in our Community...

I added a MOD yesterday that allows members to join any open group without assistance from an administrator.  So if I create a group for each forum, each member could custom design what they want to see when they access the Main Index page...

Unfortunately if you want out of a group that you currently belong to, an Administrator is still required to remove your name.  Hopefully that will change in the future as well...

headbang

Say, Nightrider, if I didn't know better, I'd have to say that you like all this tinkering around.  Wink
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Bugs/Suggestions/Comments