alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
DVD Burner Problems Computer A
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
DVD Burner Problems Computer A
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 8:20 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:25 PM
usaCa.gif
I was wondering if any power supply fits any pc...?

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=32&name=Power-Suppl ies

-----------------------------------

I am having problems with 4 dvd burners. On my video pc, since I have burned so many copies I figure they are wore out after one year and replacing them with samsung, since I tried one and liked it, waiting for them to come in.

Meanwhile, I bought two more a few weeks ago for my main pc, the old xp (IDE) since my old drives won't even work at all anymore, and these new drives reboot the pc when I put a disc in. I tried changing the master slave settings from original settings which didn't have master slave on either, but that didn't help. I have looked and looked and other than seeing a lot of people having similar problems, nothing addresses my problem, unless it is a power supply problem, I have seen this being a fix for others.

So I was wondering if any power supply fits any pc...? I have replaced this years ago but I think I got it from HP. I think this is true, but wanted to ask before I buy.

I did turn off the auto reboot and got a blue screen with info, and I did save a log but don't think I can understand it anyway. The blue screen says there is a problem with new hardware.

Also, I cannot find driver updates from samsung, I did download firmware liveupdate from them. Been all over their site and noting to install or download. This problem seems somewhat uniche.

Last edited by fishead on 06/20/2010 12:28 PM; edited 1 time in total
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
Re: I was wondering if any power supply fits any pc...?
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 8:35 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 6:25 AM
texasC.gif
Fix Bad Pool Caller - Cause And Solution On How To Fix Bad Pool Caller Error

I think I would check out the memory chips first.

More hits for Bad Pool Caller here:

Memory tester

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 8:51 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Here are a few guys with much the the same problem.  

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/232482-32-computer-shut-start-burn

Some are dealing with a MSI mobo, one guy exchanged his and that seemed to have solved the problem for him.  However one guy had a different solution, you might try that if you have those settings in your BIOS:

After eliminating the powersupply and the burner itself from the list of possible causes, I solved the problem by changing the Bios settings for my dvd-writer from UDMA-4 to UDMA-2. (my motherboard MSI 601-7250-020)

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 8:58 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
It's possible your power supply is going out, and yes most PSU will fill any PC.  However you might want check out all the connectors on the new PSU and make sure it has the ones you need for your mobo and your needs.  The newer ones usually cover everything.

If you do get a new PSU make it a good one, at least 600W or 700W, especially since you do so much burning. Also from what I've read weight has a lot to do with the quality of the PSU, the heavier the better.

sunny
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 11:47 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I really don't do much burning on that pc, it is my main pc for everything except video, I do all my video work and burning on that newer pc that came with vista and I installed IX. Its funny that the samsung work fine in that one but not my older main pc. I am coming to the conclusion that it is conflicting with my pc from what I found today. I may try another brand, but I imagine something is going out since the other two burners won't even recognize a disc anymore. They slowly went bad so I am thinking PSU.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 12:11 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I did a memory test and it said all hardware was ok.
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 12:49 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
but I imagine something is going out since the other two burners won't even recognize a disc anymore. They slowly went bad so I am thinking PSU.

Could be PSU, especially if it's not much wattage, but I keep hearing how burners don't last very long anyway.  If you use them a lot seems like two years is a good run.

As for burners not recognizing a disc?  Does the PC recognize the drive? Not sure this will help but it can't hurt and it solved such a problem for both NR and myself.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/524738-computer-wont-recognize-dvd- drive.html

sunny
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 12:53 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
NOTE:  The above was tried on W2K or XP by NR and myself, not sure about Vista or Win7!!

dontknow
PostPosted: 06/16/2010 1:01 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Ok, here they are doing the same thing for Vista and deleting the upper and lower filters works for some and doesn't for others.  May be worth a try

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/171067-32-drive-drive-detected

dontknow
PostPosted: 06/17/2010 3:57 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Quote:
I keep hearing how burners don't last very long anyway.

After reading reviews in newegg it sounds like a lot are doa, others don't last long. I checked some reviews and they said don't buy the oem versons and they rated on HP as second best so I bought it and that will help solve this. Even they can be dea but this one costs more. I can put one of the old drives in with it. They are just wore out, slowly went bad. One was new a few years ago but it only lasted a few months.

I am looking at this, if I keep having problems I may go this route:

Xerox DVD copier
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC