alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Notify of new user not right.
Goto page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Notify of new user not right.
PostPosted: 05/31/2010 3:56 PM Reply with quote
Citation
KeeKee
Citation
Posts 940
Word Cnt. 48,215
BDay Mar 4
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 3:14 AM
usaCa.gif
Long time ago we put in the notify of new user mod.  Even did the multiple notify one.

I had set up a name NewRegister that would receive the notifications.  I had put in that name and mine I always receive them at the webmaster@mydot com address,  The NewRegister name only gets them from one board (hobby).

The NewRegister has a email address to the website.  The website then forwards that to a google account I have that I get the notify on the desktop of so don't have to go look.

Nancy just told me she would like to stop getting the notifications and they are many.

She never told me till now she has been getting them from the beginning when all this was set up.

Why is she getting them when only the NewRegister name is in the box.  And how do I stop her getting them?
View user's profile Find all posts by KeeKee Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: Notify of new user not right.
PostPosted: 05/31/2010 4:19 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 4:14 AM
peace.gif
Apparently, if there are no valid user_ids assigned in the ACP, the MOD sends out notices to all admins.  I just took a peak at your settings in the Hobbies and Kitchen forums and instead of using a user_id number, you entered a username, NewRegister.  The user_id for NewRegister in the Kitchen forum is 9.  NewRegister may have a different user_id in each forum...

To stop a lot of the nonsense spam bot registrations, it might be a good idea to update the Math Question MOD in all of the forums.  I created an updated version of the MOD to allow admins to change the question and answer in the ACP as often as they want.  The Math Question MOD has been around long enough that the spam bot registrations are now coded for it.  But they cannot answer a text response.  Only humans can understand the question and give the appropriate responses...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 05/31/2010 11:41 PM Reply with quote
Citation
KeeKee
Citation
Posts 940
Word Cnt. 48,215
BDay Mar 4
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
Humm so I was just suppose to put a 9 in the box of who to notify or whatever number NewRegister is on that board? No name at all.

I have been getting the forwards like clockwork with NewRegister in the hobby boards box.  Just not the others.

I will look for the math mod soon.
View user's profile Find all posts by KeeKee Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 05/31/2010 11:48 PM Reply with quote
Citation
KeeKee
Citation
Posts 940
Word Cnt. 48,215
BDay Mar 4
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
And how do you know the NewRegister is member #? when it isn't on the members list?
PostPosted: 06/01/2010 12:34 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I regularly receive new registration notices from your forums too.  I'm sure all those set as admin do...

I looked in your database to get the user_id for NewRegister.  But if you can look at the NewRegister profile, you should see the assigned user_id in the URL.  For example, this is the URL when you view my Profile page:

http://4fxearth.net/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3

For me, the user_id is 3.  The user_id is displayed in the URL by u=3...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 06/01/2010 10:13 AM Reply with quote
Citation
KeeKee
Citation
Posts 940
Word Cnt. 48,215
BDay Mar 4
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
ok.  I may have to do a quick run through and try to assign the # as I went in last night and ticked the NO on the notify or not and now I'm getting them from both hobby and kitchen.

I thought I could just turn it off till I can pay attention to what I am doing putting the math mod in.

I've got irons in the fire with trying to get a passport to go to Mexico for dental work.   Getting DH's drivers test done and finishing up this powerpoint for the reunion.

I would have thought ticking No  do not enable would have shut it off for now.
PostPosted: 06/01/2010 2:14 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Actually, by default, all admins receive email notifications each time there is a new registration when you have the Enable account activation set to admin.  When someone registers, they can't start posting until their account is activated, so when the setting is admin, then an email is sent to all admins so that they can review the registration and determine whether to activate it or not...

The easiest way to stop the emails is to install my updated version of the Math Question MOD and then change the Enable account activation setting to User.  The Math Question MOD will prevent spam bot registrations and the User setting will force any new registrants to activate their own account.  And at this point, the Notify Admin on New Registrations MOD will send an email only to those assigned to receive the notification...

Last night, I changed the setting from NewRegister to its user_id in all of your forums, so it should be the only account to receive email notifications once you make the changes I suggested above.  There were a couple of forums that listed both your KeeKee and the NewRegister accounts, so email notifications would be sent to both destination accounts in those forums...

munky2
PostPosted: 06/01/2010 6:03 PM Reply with quote
Citation
KeeKee
Citation
Posts 940
Word Cnt. 48,215
BDay Mar 4
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
Thanks very much.

I looked through earlier than you did that and took the KeeKee out and hit submit.  Wondering why it didn't.  I'm having hard drive problems so maybe I think something is happening when it isn't.
That being web browser it shouldn't have anything to do with my hard drive.
PostPosted: 06/01/2010 6:09 PM Reply with quote
Citation
KeeKee
Citation
Posts 940
Word Cnt. 48,215
BDay Mar 4
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
Oh and another question.  When I was looking through the database at user names I saw a bunch that had got by somehow.  I usually do the non-activate purge but sometimes just go from the email notify.

If I go in and take out any of those names will that change the ID# of the NewRegister or do you hold your number for as long as your a member.
PostPosted: 06/01/2010 9:15 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
KeeKee wrote:
Oh and another question.  When I was looking through the database at user names I saw a bunch that had got by somehow.  I usually do the non-activate purge but sometimes just go from the email notify.

The only way anyone could get by is if one of the admins authorized the registration.  It could have been by accident though since the activation link is in the email notification.  Every admin would have received the email, so even if you didn't approve it, any of the other admins could have accidentally approved them.  When you click on the link from the email, it activates the account...

KeeKee wrote:
If I go in and take out any of those names will that change the ID# of the NewRegister or do you hold your number for as long as your a member.

The user_id remains static.  So regardless of who you delete, the user_ids assigned to the current members remain the same.  There is no harm for those who remain active...

munky2
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support