alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Monitor screen goes black
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: Monitor screen goes black
PostPosted: 05/18/2010 2:12 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 6:17 PM
usaCa.gif
Sounds like the back light inverter board is bad.

It's a very common problem.

LCD's use four small cold compact fluorescent bulbs to back light the display. (thats what gives the LCD it's brightness allowing you to see it)

The inverter board runs these lights and when they go bad they will typically show symptoms like you have or the monitor power light comes on and you have either no display or a very dim display.

If you ever have one that has no display but the power light is on you can check by shining a flashlight directly into the LCD from the front (right into the screen) if you can see an image then it's either the inverter board (most likely) or the CCFL bulbs have gone bad.

The inverter board and CCFL's are replaceable.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t124688-monitor_goes_blank_automatically_ after
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 05/18/2010 7:29 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 4:17 AM
texasC.gif
That does make sense, Dave.  However sounds like maybe the monitor would be going blank after warming up a bit and on a regular bases.   So far mine has done it twice two or three weeks apart.  Course it will probably get worse......  

Also I don't think there would be anything to see with a flashlight, like I said the screen doesn't just darken it goes pure black, looks the same as when nothing is turned on.  If/when it does it again I will try the flashlight test though.

Hummmm, backlight inverter board .... not sure I would want to tackle that! LOL

http://www.lcdmonitorrepairebook.com/backlight-inverter/backlight-inve rter-board/

Shocked
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 05/18/2010 7:33 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
He makes it all sound so easy.  LOL

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-an-LCD-backlight-power-Inve rter-Using-/

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 05/19/2010 9:46 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Ya that doesn't sound too easy. I have heard that it is common to only get one year out of some flatscreens, thats why I bout 3 year extended warranty. So far mine is working great and its about 2-3 years old now.

I think you can see inside when the monitor is off, with a flashlight.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 05/19/2010 10:06 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
I have heard that it is common to only get one year out of some flatscreens
Ouch, mine is about 3 years old.  I tried looking into the monitor attached to my backup PC (the PC is not on) with the monitor turned Off and On, I can't see anything inside, just the reflection of the flashlight.  

I'm pretty sure the PC and monitor would both have to be turned on and an image was actually being transmitted from the PC to the monitor.  I guess the only way to really test it out is when it happens again.  I hope that's never but if it does I'll be ready to try this bit of troubleshooting.

sunny
PostPosted: 05/19/2010 12:17 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
lol, like my clanking harddrive, it never did go out and rarely clanks anymore but occasionally it does. With the new flatscreens a lot of things can affect them, like humiity, temp etc. or there could even be a real bug crawling around inside. My brother fixed someone's pc once that had bug in it.
PostPosted: 05/19/2010 4:41 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
Local time: 5:17 AM
usaCa.gif
rb2d2 wrote:
Hummm .... strange indeed.  Post back if/when it happens again and I will do the same. Odd that it happened to both of us the same way about the same time. I wonder how many others it may have been happening to?  Some gremlin embedded in web sites?  So many strange things happening on web sites these days.

There would be more to work on if the PC crashed or the backout was happening on a regular bases like daily or hourly but that's not the case.  My monitor appears to be working perfectly, the color and performance is great.  It's a 22" ViewSonic.

I'm assuming your PC stayed on and working also, Chrissy?  I know mine did because the music or audio keep playing, fans whirring, lights on, the On light remained on the monitor.  And the monitor didn't just darken it went cold black like in OFF!

dontknow

Yep the exact same thing, the monitor did not fade just went black like when its off or in sleep mode cause if I remember right the power light was blinking as it does when it goes into sleep mode but I was using it.

Yes my pc stayed working as yours did.  It only happened twice so far been fine for a while now.
Rebooting brought the monitor back on.   Mine is a flat screen Samsung.

I will let you know if it happens again as well as what website I am on at the time it happens.

Very strange indeed.   dontknow
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 05/19/2010 4:48 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
Local time: 5:17 AM
usaCa.gif
fishead wrote:
Sounds like the back light inverter board is bad.

It's a very common problem.

LCD's use four small cold compact fluorescent bulbs to back light the display. (thats what gives the LCD it's brightness allowing you to see it)

The inverter board runs these lights and when they go bad they will typically show symptoms like you have or the monitor power light comes on and you have either no display or a very dim display.

If you ever have one that has no display but the power light is on you can check by shining a flashlight directly into the LCD from the front (right into the screen) if you can see an image then it's either the inverter board (most likely) or the CCFL bulbs have gone bad.

The inverter board and CCFL's are replaceable.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t124688-monitor_goes_blank_automatically_ after

MMM maybe I hope not but two things, one as RB said you think it would get worse but as hers its weeks in between this happening.   Also when mine went black - normally when I shut down my monitor shows a flashing sign in the upper left hand corner showing Digital and forgot the other one it says anyway that still flashed so if it was this light wouldn't that flashing words with the blue back ground also not show up?
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 05/19/2010 7:18 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Quote:
still flashed so if it was this light wouldn't that flashing words with the blue back ground also not show up?

That sounds like the monitor is ok. Maybe you graphics/video card? I had one go out once and if I remember right it just went black and never did work again. I could smell burn and saw a bad spot on card. I had a couple laptops do the same. One went out slowly, sometimes it worked sometimes not. When it got hot it went black.
PostPosted: 05/25/2010 2:02 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
OK, it happened again a while ago, the monitor just went black.  And YES Dave is right, using a flashlight shinning directly on the screen I could see the web site!

Any body know of a good deal on a monitor????  23" or larger.

Crying or Very sad
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC