alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Is there a mod to modify the configuration externally ?
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Is there a mod to modify the configuration externally ?
PostPosted: 03/13/2010 8:37 AM Reply with quote
Dove
circleofatlantis
Dove
Posts 79
Word Cnt. 6,418
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 1:15 PM
australC_1xa.gif
I'm trying to clone a new forum from the database of an existing one. I copied the software, backed up the existing database, created a new database, ran install, then renamed the backup and restored it to the new database.

All worked well until I logged in. And at that point, I get redirected to the old forum, because the configuration of the old forum has been loaded into the new one.

Which means, I cant access the admin section of the new forum at all. Sad

Is there an external mod that accesses the configuration and allows it to be changed ?

If not, how hard is it to make ? Or is there an alternative method of gaining access ?

All suggestions welcome.
View user's profile Find all posts by circleofatlantis Send private message [ Hidden ]
Re: Is there a mod to modify the configuration externally ?
PostPosted: 03/13/2010 9:11 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 9:15 PM
texasC.gif
Hi circleofatlantis.  

I can't answer your question but want to let you know that it may be 4 or 5 hours before Nightrider will be online, however as soon as he reads your post I'm sure he can help you.

Hang in there.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/13/2010 4:23 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 11:15 PM
peace.gif
What you need to do now is go into your phpbb_config table and modify a few records to point to the new domain.  Records that might need adjusting are the following:
  • board_email
  • cookie_domain
  • cookie_name
  • EM_ftp_dir
  • script_path
  • server_name
  • xs_ftp_host
  • xs_ftp_path
You may not have all of these records, so don't get nervous if you can't find all that I have listed.  Just make sure you are viewing all of the records in the table before you give up looking.  Don't modify the config_name from the phpbb_config table.  Modify the values assigned to the config_value...

You can modify these records using phpMyAdmin in your Host CPanel or you can use MySQL-Front like I use most of the time.  If you want to use MySQL-Front, here are the instructions on how to set it up and use it:

MySql-Front Tunnel Info

After you have it installed, you will want to do the following:

1. upload the phpMySQL.php file into the root of the phpBB folder.  The phpMySQL.php file will be found in your c:\Program Files\MySql-Front folder.  

2. Then you create a new Session:

3. Enter your General tab info:

4. Enter your Connection tab info.  The path to your phpMySql.php tunnel file will be the path to your board in your browser, plus the phpMySql.php name.  It would look something like this:

http://www.yourdomain.com/phpBB2/phpMySQL.php

5. Enter your Login tab info.  This would be the same as what is set in your config.php file:

6. Press the Ok button...

7. Click on the File/Open Session menu option:

8. Select your new Session from the list and Press the Open button.  You will only have one record in your list to choose from:  

9. If all was set up correctly, you will connect to your database...
Be very careful.  There is no undo here.  So if you screw up anything, it may be gone forever if you failed to make any backups...

To view the contents of the phpbb_config table, click on the phpbb_config table in the left panel:

In the right panel, click on the Data Browser tab:

At the top left of the app, change the second option to 500, then press the Enter key:

You should now be viewing every record in your phpbb_config table in alphabetical order.  Only adjust the values listed in the config_value column:

Let me know if you need clarification on any of these steps...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 03/13/2010 4:26 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Also, don't forget to adjust the settings in your config.php file to point to your new database.  You can edit the config.php file using any decent text editor...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 03/13/2010 10:08 PM Reply with quote
Dove
circleofatlantis
Dove
Posts 79
Word Cnt. 6,418
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
australC_1xa.gif
Thankyou, that did the trick nicely.  banana

I didnt even know that function was there. Now I do. Also gives me the ability to wipe the old PM's file away too Smile

rb2d2, thanks, but it didnt matter. I posted and then went to bed, so the answer was available as soon as I got back in anyway. Appreciate the gesture though. Smile
View user's profile Find all posts by circleofatlantis Send private message [ Hidden ]
PostPosted: 03/13/2010 11:10 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Yes, you can empty the PM table as well as the Posts table if you are starting the new forum from scratch.  Did you use phpMyAdmin or were you able to get MySQL-Front working???

dontknow
PostPosted: 03/13/2010 11:17 PM Reply with quote
Dove
circleofatlantis
Dove
Posts 79
Word Cnt. 6,418
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
australC_1xa.gif
phpMyAdmin worked fine. Smile
PostPosted: 03/14/2010 12:52 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Ok, you might want to try using MySQL-Front too.  I don't use MySQL-Front to Export or Import the database, but it is very helpful when I want to modify records in it...

headbang
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support