alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Commenting on my site
Goto page: 1, 2  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Commenting on my site
PostPosted: 07/28/2009 3:34 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 11:57 AM
usaCa.gif
I think there is something wrong, if someone comments, the "no comments" link should say "comments" but doesn't. Also, if one clicks on the photo (if there is one) then they can see any comments made. I wonder why it shows "no comment" instead of "Comment" after one is made. Any ideas NR?

Last edited by fishead on 07/31/2009 7:34 AM; edited 1 time in total
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
Re: Commenting on my blog
PostPosted: 07/28/2009 5:03 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Can I just change the code to say comments? That way they can click and see if there is any. Thats better than saying no comments when there is comments.

Looking in blog editor I see:

Theme Files
Templates

* Comments (comments.php)

Code:
   <?php else : // this is displayed if there are no comments so far ?>
      <?php if ('open' == $post->comment_status) :
         // If comments are open, but there are no comments.
      else : ?><p class="nocomments"><?php _e('Comments are closed', 'default'); ?>.</p>
      <?php endif;
   endif;

Then I see this code:

# MFG Model # : G940D-01
# MFG Part # : 940D

Seems I could just change nocomments to comments here. What do you think nr?
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 07/28/2009 5:26 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 11:57 PM
peace.gif
I really don't know anything about the Wordpress software.  Have you made any changes to the code?  Since Wordpress has been around for a long time, I would be surprised if it still has bugs like what you describe in the default code.  Can you give me an example of a Blog entry that has comments?  I checked a few but none of them had any comments in them...

dontknow

fishead wrote:
Seems I could just change nocomments to comments here. What do you think nr?

The word nocomments is a constant.  If they have a constant named comments, it would work to change the nocomments constant to comments.  It won't work if they have a different constant declared for comments though...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 07/28/2009 6:56 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I think the top script has the nocomment, and below where it notes "editing can be done from this point down" only has a link to the above nocomment, if that makes sense.

The top post has one comment, most don't so I didn't know there was a problem. A buddy commented and told me he had to click on the image of the guys in a boat to see his comment. I didn't change anything in the code. Maybe its the template that is messed up.

There is an update I can get but I have to figure out and back up the blog files first, maybe later this week if I get time.
PostPosted: 07/29/2009 9:14 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I found where to change "No comment" to "Comments" so that should help. It was in the "item.php" page in editor.

Here is the code I changed:
Code:
<span class="comment">
<a href="<?php comments_link(); ?>"><?php comments_number( __( 'No comments', 'default' ), __( '1 comment', 'default' ), __( '% comments', 'default' ),  __( 'comments', 'default' )); ?></a>
</span>

I saw in wp forum someone who had problems with error message, I get the same message when I try to click on any template, so one solution maybe what I need too, someone said "It sounds like some of your files are missing or corrupted. I'd recommend re-uploading and re-upgrading Wordpress following these instructions:  ____ "      http://wordpress.org/support/topic/282674

I'll skip that, I can live with it the way it is. For some reason it was stuck on the default, but now at least there is a door to the comments. Its not like anyone comments anyway, a waste of time but none the less I would like the option to be there.
PostPosted: 07/29/2009 2:11 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Update -  I started a new post and added the same image and now the comment option seems to work ok. The only thing I did differently was list an image name, description, and title maybe in the insert image box, which is very complex and has a link by default if I don't add my own link in the box.

I did change the No comments to comment because there is no other link for people to use. The template must be corrupt as far as that missing link. I haven't messed with the code, only the configurations when I had spammer problems. Everything looks to be in order.

BTW sorry for that offensive comment that guy left, I finally read it and realized it was bad and edited it out.
PostPosted: 07/29/2009 4:35 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
All the sudden I am getting swamped with spam. I wish I could delete this thread.
PostPosted: 07/29/2009 4:50 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 11:57 PM
peace.gif
Why do you think deleting this thread would help???

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 07/31/2009 7:34 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Because it gets too much exposure under the word b l o g. This forum is too visible.

That gave me an idea, I removed bl og from the title.
Re: Commenting on my site
PostPosted: 07/31/2009 7:49 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I have to follow up. It could be just a coincidence, but as soon as I mentioned my bl og problem in here I started getting spam attacks. And after hearing about your spam attacks in this forum I started getting them soon after in my forum. Perhaps that too is a coincidence but it could be spammer/spammers are getting links in here. There is a lot of computer people visiting here. I know I don't have proof but I suspect it could be possible. You also do get a lot of foreigners in here and I get almost none on my websites. I get almost 100% traffic from usa, (which I can't figure out) and the spammers were coming from abroad. Just guessing but more times than not my guesses are accurate.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support