alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
what is yahoo counter?
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Re: what is yahoo counter?
PostPosted: 02/09/2009 1:41 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 4:51 AM
texasC.gif
I think this network they talk about is owned and operated by another company, or several companies chained together, and they rent usage.  Notice they mention Comcast and others .....  I bet a gadzillion Hosts use this huge "network".  They mention Hawkhost on that page and HERE it is:  http://www.hawkhost.com/

Remember Cenerhost used Ev1 servers.  And who know who all else used Ev1 servers.  

IX may actually be one of the few that has it's own "network" of servers if we can believe that story they told about moving all their stuff to Kentucky a few months back.  The pictures they showed was of a huge setup.  No where near a 250GB HDD.  

If IX does use one of these "networks" that could be the reason why it takes so long to resolve a problem, they have go down the line for who knows how far and confer with techs for miles and miles. They most likely don't even do their own tech work.

And which is connected to Host Excellence?????  Remember them?

Brick wall
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/09/2009 1:48 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Check out Hawkhost and their Washington D.C. database!  

http://www.hawkhost.com/Network/serverlist

Brick wall
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/09/2009 2:03 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 6:51 AM
peace.gif
rb2d2 wrote:
I think this network they talk about is owned and operated by another company, or several companies chained together, and they rent usage.  Notice they mention Comcast and others .....  I bet a gadzillion Hosts use this huge "network".  They mention Hawkhost on that page and HERE it is:  http://www.hawkhost.com/

You're mixing up server space with their Internet connections.  All of those companies give this company their connection to the world but have nothing to do with server space.  The Comcast number of 10Gbps represents a 10 GB per second Internet connection.  IOW, it is very fast compared to our Broadband connection speed of 3-7 Mbps.  But that connection has nothing whatsoever to do with the company servers.  That's apples and oranges...

rb2d2 wrote:
IX may actually be one of the few that has it's own "network" of servers if we can believe that story they told about moving all their stuff to Kentucky a few months back.  The pictures they showed was of a huge setup.  No where near a 250GB HDD.  

IX technicians have told me on more than one occasion that we are on a server with a 2 TB HDD with double RAID redundancy.  IOW, there should be 3 interconnected HDDs on each server, or at least the one we are on is set up that way.  That sounds impressive.  But if they park 5,000 or more clients with unlimited disc storage on each server, then it can quickly eat up those resources and since all those hosted on the server are using the same Internet connection, peak use periods could really slow down server performance for every client on the server.  The processor on the server can only operate so fast, the seek time on the HDD is slowed the more people who are accessing the server at one time, and with more people going through the same Internet connection, that can really slow things down too.  So what is important to know is how many clients will be using the server, along with the size of the HDD, and along with the speed of the processor and Internet connection.  If the host attempts to cut corners and places too many clients on each server, it really doesn't matter what the hardware on the server looks like on paper or the speed of the Internet connection...

According to the pictures that IX showed, IX uses the blade technology.  But their servers still follow the same basic principles that we have on our Home PCs...

rb2d2 wrote:
If IX does use one of these "networks" that could be the reason why it takes so long to resolve a problem, they have go down the line for who knows how far and confer with techs for miles and miles. They most likely don't even do their own tech work.

IX owns and operates their own servers.  IX does not own and operate a broadband company though.  They buy their Internet services from ISPs just like you and I do...

rb2d2 wrote:
And which is connected to Host Excellence?????  Remember them?

Host Excellence and IX are the same company packaged under different names...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 02/09/2009 2:10 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Oh ....

PostPosted: 02/09/2009 2:11 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
rb2d2 wrote:
Check out Hawkhost and their Washington D.C. database!  

http://www.hawkhost.com/Network/serverlist

You really need to learn the terms.  A database is not a server or HDD.  A database is used to store data and is typically a single file stored on the server and HDD...

It appears that the Washington DC setup is old.  If you look at most of the rest that they list, they have 4x250 GB HDDs with RAID 10.  That means that 500 GB of their HDD space is used for their clients with a 500 GB RAID redundant backup system mirroring it.  So as long as they don't store too many clients on each server, that shouldn't be too bad.  But a 500 GB storage capacity really isn't very much if they have lots of clients on the server.  None of those numbers tell you all you need to know about the servers and the number of people who are going to be using them...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 02/09/2009 2:17 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Oh ......

PostPosted: 02/09/2009 6:42 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Local time: 6:51 PM
usaCa.gif
I need to read this more later about hosts but back to that html file, there is no way I changed it to that code. I finished the page, published it and then posted the images from that page in your forum. I was done with it, not to go back to it again. The only reason I opened it was to clone the code to make a page 11 (I would just change the img url). So it was finished, published and put away and somehow my code was switched to yahoo code, in my computer.

That guys website that I posted a link for has a similar problem, someone set up certain hidden pages which allowed the hacker to send out emails in his name. He couldn't figure it out so he just left IX and the problems stopped. Thats the second place I found that yahoo code hidden in hard to find places. In my forum, my visible key words were intact, but scroll to the hidden names and there was that code. Who ever it is isnt malicious, they are just trying to use me to spam out emails. I had that problem with my old host, they sent out thousands of spam in my name before I found out and the host did nothing to stop it, or couldn't do anything.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/09/2009 11:47 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Here is my problem with the idea that someone entered your PC and edited one file and nothing else.  I just can't imagine first how the hacker might have picked that one file and why (s)he wouldn't have done more damage, especially since (s)he didn't know that you would ever use that file or upload it to your server.  Why would someone go through all that trouble to hack your PC and only modify that one file with no guarantee that it would ever get used?  It may be possible, but it isn't logical...

Here is what I think happened.  You downloaded the file and it was already hacked but you didn't notice the extra added code.  Then when you went back to modify it or copy and paste it to another file, you finally did notice the extra code.  But the code had been there all along since you first downloaded it from your site.  The hacking had probably been done to numerous files, including this one and even if we cleaned up most of the added hacking code from a previous hacking attempt, we may have missed this file.  I can't think of any reason why the hacker would single out this one single file and leave everything else untouched either on your PC or on your FTP server.  It's not logical that the hacker would go to all that trouble just for this one single file...

dontknow
PostPosted: 02/10/2009 7:29 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Local time: 6:51 PM
usaCa.gif
I don't mean to argue but I didnt upload any files to my website folders. I did upload them to my documents and deleted them right after doing the scan. There is no explanation, I dont understand it either. I read on one forum, (I posted about it the other day in this thread), and one poster replying to the guy that had been hacked mentioned that the hacker might have entered his computer also and done the same thing, implant that yahoo code. Anyway, I did do a scan and didn't find anything. I wont worry about it unless I find it again.

Keep in mind they added the code to my forum in one place only. I haven't had any more troubles with it anyway. Its too wierd. But thats how they operate, its all business, embed, then send out span in someone elses name.

IX replied and said this is going on all over the internet now.

ps, this isnt important but when I said I got the code for that page off the internet I went to check on the page and see if the images were still working and they were, so I grabbed the code while I was there. I could have got it from page 9 or any other. I did check them all and they were ok. The person could have guessed that I would republish the folder, which I do sometimes just incase I miss a page so it wasn't a total shot in the dark, its probably common practice to republish whole folders.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/10/2009 11:07 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
For something like this that can't be proved one way or the other, there is no point in arguing the issue.  All I'm saying is that if I was a hacker who has the ability to access your PC and modify files, the last thing I would do is pick out a single html file and modify it not knowing if the code would ever be used and uploaded to a server.  If I had that kind of power, I would definitely make sure that there was no chance that my efforts would be in vain.  It just doesn't make logical sense for anyone who has the ability to modify files on your PC to do so little damage with no guarantee that the efforts would pay off.  Hackers want their efforts to be fruitful, so what you are describing has a very small probability of ever bearing fruit for the hacker.  I just don't see anyone wasting their time like that unless they have plans to do far more damage and what you are describing is only a test run for bigger plans...

munky2
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support