alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
what is yahoo counter?
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Re: what is yahoo counter?
PostPosted: 01/28/2009 8:24 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 9:40 PM
usaCa.gif
Did you get this email? I just got it and it addresses security issues:

Dear Dave Tackett,

We are happy to inform you that over the next two weeks we will upgrade PHP to the latest 4.x version (4.4.9) on the web server your website is currently being hosted on. This upgrade will resolve many security exploits and make services more stable.

As part of this upgrade, we will migrate from an Apache Module to a CGI based installation that gives you more control over many PHP settings. Once implemented, you will have the ability to upload your very own php.ini file into your cgi-bin folder as needed.

After the upgrade, your website may experience a few errors, all of which can be quickly resolved. Most are caused by having PHP directives inside an .htaccess file.

To fix this problem, simply login to your control panel and click on the WebShell icon. The .htaccess file will not be viewable unless you have "show hidden files" checked in your WebShell settings. Open the .htaccess file and remove any lines that start with "php_". If you need to retain these settings, then they must now go into a php.ini file and placed into your cgi-bin folder.

Additionally, we have put together some useful information for you at:
http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/v2/pages.faq_php

If you are running PHP in any of your HTM/HTML files, please add this line to your .htaccess file:
AddHandler php-script .php .php3 .php4 .htm .html .phtml

If you have any questions or concerns about this upgrade, please do not hesitate to contact us 24/7 via live chat, ticket, or phone support and we will be glad to assist.

I hope you will enjoy the new features and increased security!

Best Regards,

Fatima Said, CCO
IX Web Hosting
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 01/28/2009 10:55 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:40 AM
texasC.gif
Quote:
As part of this upgrade, we will migrate from an Apache Module to a CGI based installation

That's what they did to us and we have had nothing but hell ever since!

violent1
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 01/28/2009 4:03 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 9:40 AM
peace.gif
Yes, our problems started on November 25 when they changed to the cgi based installation.  IX doesn't seem to know how to fix all the problems that that conversion caused either.  The only difference is that they moved us to a php 5.2.3 server.  In your email, they said that they will be moving you to php 4.4.9.  I wonder if moving us to that server would take care of some of the issues we are dealing with???

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 01/28/2009 8:06 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Quote:
I wonder if moving us to that server would take care of some of the issues we are dealing with???

I will let you know. I'll probably be needing help. Now I'm worried.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 01/29/2009 1:13 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I hope your experience with the conversion goes better than our's did...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 02/08/2009 1:10 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Well he's back. I didn't change my passwords or anything, just my forum so I could tell where he's coming in. I did change them all today after I discovered he got into my computer somehow. I found a webpage in my computer files, unpublished, that had that yahoo code and my code was removed. I think they got in through my ftp, and managed to access my website folders while I was on signed into ftp. I did a search with grep and nothing else found, so looks like just that one page if the search was correct. I wrote IX but thats probably a waste of time, but so much for their more secure features.

I did change password for ftp, IX control panel, all my emails and I had already changed forum password when this all started and looks like he hasn't been back in there.
PostPosted: 02/08/2009 2:13 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
read what this guy says:

http://www.brentcrouch.com/2008/11/05/ix-web-hosting-worst-host-ever-p art-1/
PostPosted: 02/08/2009 4:25 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I'm still not convinced that your hacker has your FTP login information and I have my doubts that they have burrowed into your PC so that they can obtain that information from you.  If they had access to your FTP server, they could do far more damage than they are doing.  I truly believe that the IX servers are not as secure as they could be and that someone is exploiting their security holes.  Then IX has the nerve to claim that we are the problem even with their recent history of being hacked themselves.  I really don't believe anything that IX says any longer.  It has totally lost my respect...

violent1
PostPosted: 02/08/2009 8:35 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Nr, a page in my computer was changed. It was an html page in my website folders. It was a recent page I published not long ago, my weekly photo page with the full size image on it. I had to get the source code from the internet to change it back (the bad page wasn't published). This is the page:

http://www.fisheadtackle.com/week10.html

I really doubt I accidently pasted that code, I know I didnt. Besides, if I changed it I would have republished it but I didn't. So they had to be inside my computer. I figure they got in through ftp and when I closed it I cut them off so damage was limited. Or like you said, they would have done a lot more damage. If they got in through ftp somehow, the first thing they would see is my website folders, and probably that weekly folder because it is an active page, I use it often.

I am looking at other hosts. I wish you would find one and I would follow, and you could get affiliate pay. I was looking at monster host I think its called. The guy in the link above recommended it and I found it while looking around so I checked it out. They have a forum and seem like a good thing and the price isn't bad.
PostPosted: 02/08/2009 9:15 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:40 AM
texasC.gif
I saw this place highly recommanded on the phpBB2 Refugees forum.  Have not found any review for them on the net anywhere.

Http Easyhost

This is what the guy on the forum said about them

I am moving to these people
http://www.httpeasyhost.com/
Its a Swedish company with brilliant support, they even phoned me last night, to let me know that all my files have been transfered to them.

They cost a bit more than IX and offer limited disk space but I think it's more than what we would need anyway.  Not sure.  I also read in that thread at the forum to be suspicious of Host that offer unlimited disk space, they will still find a way to limit you.  And that's what IX did, they claimed we were using too much disk space and that's why they were moving us!  What a crock!

Brick wall
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support