alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Unable to enable Norton Antivirus
Goto page: 1, 2  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Unable to enable Norton Antivirus
PostPosted: 05/22/2005 8:22 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:26 AM
usaCa.gif
When I got on to my computer this morning I noticed that there was no Norton AV icon in my System Tray and NAV was not enabled.  I went to the NAV page and clicked on "Enable" at the bottom on the right but it would not enable.  My subscription expires on !0/23/05.  Any suggestions as to how I can enable it?

Win XP Home  SP2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Bobby Send private message   Phoogle Map
Re: Unable to enable Norton Antivirus
PostPosted: 05/22/2005 8:09 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
blank.gif
Not really...  Did you try rebooting? Sometimes that'll unscramble Windows' brains. Another thought is to fire up NAV and run a complete virus check, just in case.

What version of NAV do you have, and is it a standalone version or part of System Works? If you have System Works, what version, and is it Pro or Personal?
PostPosted: 05/23/2005 1:57 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 9:26 AM
peace.gif
My first thought when you stated that NAV wasn't in the System Tray when you booted up and you couldn't start it, was that a clever Virus has infested your PC and managed to shut down NAV so that it won't be able to detect any negative activity.  If a reboot didn't correct the problem and you still can't start NAV, I would suggest reinstalling NAV and then running a full system scan after updating your virus definitions...

NAV doesn't have a tendency to shut down all by itself so it seems to me that it was shut down by something that didn't want to be detected.  I hope I am wrong...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 05/23/2005 1:51 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
blank.gif
That's what I'm worried about, too, Nightrider, that Bobby may have gotten infected by some virus or worm. I sure hope a reboot fixes the problem.

Bobby, just in case the machine is infected, or to check and make sure it's not, here are a couple of online virus scans:
Trend Micro's free housecall - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Symantec's free online check - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langi d=ie&venid=sym

Or go to the Symantec site, and click on the image in the lower right of the page that sasy "Check for security risks" - http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html
PostPosted: 05/23/2005 8:41 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
usaCa.gif
Sorry to take so long to reply but this is the first time today that I have been able to get to the TalkPC section of the forum.  I could go to the Rosebud Forum page and TalkPC but it would never load the answers to my topic.  I am on a slow dialup (26.4 kbps) and I suspect an overburdened ISP which is probably the problem.  I don't usually have this much trouble going to a page.

Yesterday morning my NAV Autoprotect would not enable and had no icon in the SystemTray.  I have Norton SystemWorks 2004 which is paid up until 10/11/05.  After trying all of the suggested troubleshooting tips and none them worked as they should have I decided to uninstall the Norton SystemWorks and reinstall it.  But.........I cannot find my original CD with NSW on it.  I tried using the System Restore but kept getting the message that it could not take my computer back to the requested Restore Point because I had made no changes.  After three attempts I gave up and called Symantec's Support Section (Hindu Branch).  Boy that was an adventure!  I wanted to obtain a replacement CD for NSW 2004 but was told that they would not give or sell a replacement CD.  I was told that I would have to purchase NSW 2005.  By that time I was totally frustrated and aggrevated with my Hindu Brethren and asked him if he was familiar with the phrase "NO WAY IN HELL'?  I haven't given up on recovering NSW 2004 yet.  If I could get the System Restore to work correctly would it restore my NSW 2004?  Oh I installed AVG Free and ran a virus check with no virus found.  If you can think of a way that I can recover my NSW 2004 piease let me know.  Thanks.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Bobby Send private message   Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 05/23/2005 8:42 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
usaCa.gif
Sorry to take so long to reply but this is the first time today that I have been able to get to the TalkPC section of the forum.  I could go to the Rosebud Forum page and TalkPC but it would never load the answers to my topic.  I am on a slow dialup (26.4 kbps) and I suspect an overburdened ISP which is probably the problem.  I don't usually have this much trouble going to a page.

Yesterday morning my NAV Autoprotect would not enable and had no icon in the SystemTray.  I have Norton SystemWorks 2004 which is paid up until 10/11/05.  After trying all of the suggested troubleshooting tips and none them worked as they should have I decided to uninstall the Norton SystemWorks and reinstall it.  But.........I cannot find my original CD with NSW on it.  I tried using the System Restore but kept getting the message that it could not take my computer back to the requested Restore Point because I had made no changes.  After three attempts I gave up and called Symantec's Support Section (Hindu Branch).  Boy that was an adventure!  I wanted to obtain a replacement CD for NSW 2004 but was told that they would not give or sell a replacement CD.  I was told that I would have to purchase NSW 2005.  By that time I was totally frustrated and aggrevated with my Hindu Brethren and asked him if he was familiar with the phrase "NO WAY IN HELL'?  I haven't given up on recovering NSW 2004 yet.  If I could get the System Restore to work correctly would it restore my NSW 2004?  Oh I installed AVG Free and ran a virus check with no virus found.  If you can think of a way that I can recover my NSW 2004 piease let me know.  Thanks.
PostPosted: 05/23/2005 11:53 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Local time: 7:26 AM
texasC.gif
Well, Bobby, you do have an image of your HDD don't you? On your external HDD?  If worse comes to worse you can restore that.

Here is info from MS about System Restore, which you have most likely already seen but just in case you haven't

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/syst emrestore.mspx

The first site seems to be the best one, I hope it helps.

Also looked for help with your Norton, hoping there was a way to get a replacement.  Does this sound familar?

Norton SystemWorks 2004 Professional

I am extremely disappointed with Symmantec's customer service and support, which is basically nonexistent unless you pay them almost as much as you paid for the software in the first place. (They also outsource all their technical help and it is often VERY hard to understand the person who you are paying (dearly) to help you.

if you lose the key (or became unreadable in my case, they refuse to provide your customer information and will charge you $25 to send you a new CD you don't need! Incredible, but true.

http://www.spywareguide.com/shop/az_detail_B0000C8Y0V.html
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 05/24/2005 12:24 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Local time: 7:26 AM
texasC.gif
Bobby, didn't you say you just got a Lexmark printer?  

This may not have anything to do with your problem but I have run across some postings where the file <ezprint.exe> that comes with Lexmark printers has been blamed for killing checkpoints for System Restore.  

When you installed your printer were you asked to shut down or disable System Restore?  If so did you remember to turn it back on after the install?

Bobby, if you uninstalled Norton System Works 2004 and you don't have a CD I don't think there is a way to recover it unless you restore the image you and your nephew created a while back.  

Shocked
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 05/24/2005 2:52 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
blank.gif
I'll second what RB said. If you've already uninstalled NSW, without the original CD you can't install it.

The easiest route may be to stick with AVG, even though NAV is paid up. One down side to that is losing Symantec's Speed Disk, which defrags a hard drive much faster than Windows' defragger.

A second route, that might be harder for you in a rural area, is to find a store with a sale on NSW 2005 and buy it that way. I've bought versions for $10 after rebate or for only the sales tax. Much cheaper than buying through Symantec!
Update on Norton AntiVirus problem.
PostPosted: 07/07/2005 1:20 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
usaCa.gif
After uninstalling Norton SystemWorks 2004 and being unable to find my NSW CD and being told that I could not purchase a replacement CD, I installed AVG.  I did send Norton Support a letter thanking me for finally convincing me to get away from their products and never use them again.  I did ask them why after saving money by using non-English Indian Support people they still had to charge so much for their products.  I eventually found my NSW CD but am through with Nortons forever.  I never did find the problem my NAV but it doesn't matter now anyway.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC