alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
CRON is ON!!!
Goto page: 1, 2  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Announcements Add To Bookmarks
CRON is ON!!!
PostPosted: 04/24/2005 5:20 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 4:41 AM
peace.gif
I successfully implemented CRON jobs for all the Newsfeeds forums.  I currently have it set to automatically pull newsfeeds for all of our newsfeeds forums every four hours starting at 3 AM.  So as of now, the Newsfeeds forums will be updated 6 times per day, every 4 hours:  3 AM, 7 AM, 11 AM, 3 PM, 7 PM, & 11 PM EST...

I can change the automatic CRON updates to hourly or any other periodic value if requested...

headbang

Last edited by Nightrider on 05/06/2005 4:13 AM; edited 1 time in total
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: CRON is ON!!!
PostPosted: 04/24/2005 7:40 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 2:41 AM
texasC.gif
Great.  The newest of the new.  We should never be lacking for something to read.  Now if you could create some extra time that would be nice.  LOL

Thanks, Nightrider.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/25/2005 2:43 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
With the CRON jobs running, anyone who reads the Newsfeeds forums won't have to wait for me to run the process whenever I had the chance.  The process should now be more dependable than the morning newspaper and no matter when we look, the news in our forums should be up-to-date within 4 hours or less...

As I've mentioned before, if anyone knows of any other newsfeeds that they would like to see pulled into our community, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will do what I can to achieve that goal...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 04/25/2005 2:10 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
Local time: 3:41 AM
usaCa.gif
Duh!  What do I have to do to recieve the news feeds (He asked sheepishly)?  I already know of course but just for other's benefit.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Bobby Send private message   Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/25/2005 3:13 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
To join any open group in our community, simply go to the Usergroups link in the menu above or in the Navigation bar on the left.  Currently we have 12 Newsfeeds forums and one spoof and discussion group for and about SE.  If you want access to all 12 Newsfeed forums, simply join the Newsfeeds... Group.  If you only want access to some of the individual newsfeeds, you can join each one separately...

If you need additional help in joining these groups, don't hesitate to ask and I will be more than happy to assist you...

headbang
PostPosted: 04/28/2005 10:16 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Spider
Citation
Posts 3792
Word Cnt. 212,332
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
blank.gif
I just wonder what advantages I have as a subscriber to a newsgroup. How do I get the news? The problem I have is that the forum is rather slow, as I have said before, and thus I want to avoid to go into different forums since I am a little impatient... It takes about 3 seconds before the pages start to load after hitting the link or the forum name!

Anyway, do I get the news in my email? In the PMs (Not PMS!)? I seem to be able to access them all with no problem as it is now...
View user's profile Find all posts by Spider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map Google Talk
PostPosted: 04/29/2005 9:57 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Spider, I just checked and it doesn't appear that you are a member of any of our available groups.  If you join a group, that gives you access to the related forum(s).  The Newsfeeds group gives you access to ALL of the Newsfeeds forums (12 forums so far).  If you only want to see a few of the Newsfeeds forums, you can join each individual group and only those will appear on our Main Index page...

If you join the Newsfeeds group, you will see all the newsfeeds forums that are updated every 4 hours.  You should be able to receive up to date coverage of sports, International & National news, Arts, Jokes, Odd stories, etc.  Our Newsfeed sources include BBC, NYT, Reuters, USA Today, Yahoo, Boston.com, Gigglestop, Joke Crazy, etc...

If you know of any news sources that you would like to see fed into our community, I would be happy to include them too.  Just let me know what you want and if they offer XML or RSS newsfeeds, I will include them here...

I can't do much about the delay that you see.  For me, a 3 second wait for a page would be awesome.  My pages usually take 11 seconds or more to load.  Since I use Opera, I open multiple pages at once so I can be reading one page while the others are loading.  When I am done with the page, the next few pages are always loaded, so I rarely have to wait for anything to load.  So even with an 11 second or more page load time, I don't really notice...

munky2
PostPosted: 04/30/2005 2:53 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Spider
Citation
Posts 3792
Word Cnt. 212,332
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
blank.gif
Thanks NR! I realize that you can't do much about the delay and that is OK. Just one clarification; It's not the loading of the page that takes "time" but for the page to start to load! Once it has started, it loads fast. And that delay is only happening here. But your advice is good! I use opera too.

munky2
View user's profile Find all posts by Spider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map Google Talk
PostPosted: 04/30/2005 3:38 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
The instant you press the Submitt button, the code transmits a request to run queries on the Hosts server.  The page can't even begin to load until the Server responds back with the results of the queries.  So if the host has a slow Server, it can slow down the time it takes before the page can even begin to display anything new.  That's what I am guessing is happening...

If you look at the bottom of each page, you can see the percentage of time spent on SQL and PHP.  It would be interesting to hear what numbers you are seeing for each.  It looks something like this:

Page generation time: 12.8635s (PHP: 57% - SQL: 43%) - SQL queries: 59 - GZIP enabled - Debug on

So did you join any of the Newsfeed groups???

munky2
PostPosted: 04/30/2005 4:09 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Spider
Citation
Posts 3792
Word Cnt. 212,332
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
blank.gif
Page generation time: 9.808s (PHP: 41% - SQL: 59%) - SQL queries: 71 - GZIP enabled - Debug on
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Announcements