alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Main Index Page Update - FIXED!!!
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Bugs/Suggestions/Comments Add To Bookmarks
Main Index Page Update - FIXED!!!
PostPosted: 04/22/2005 9:27 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 10:58 AM
peace.gif
Believe it or not, our Birthday Girl caused our recent problems with the Main Index page without even knowing it.  It seems that her birthday today tested code that had not been tested on our board, and as many of you found out, the test failed badly...

This bug first affected rb2d2xp because her birthday was approaching and it apparently was attempting to wish her best wishes leading up to her big day.  Apparently yesterday is when the code tried to start telling everyone else that today would be rb2d2xp's birthday, so they started experiencing problems with the Main Index page too.  Being that today is the official day, EVERYONE, including myself, was able to enjoy this little bug along with rb and NO ONE was able to see the Main Index page...

This bug would have gone away on its own tomorrow and would have remained quiet until the next birthday approached.  At which point, I would have gone nuts trying to figure it out once again.  I'm glad I found this now rather than later...

Happy Birthday Rosalie...
occasion7  occasion6  occasion9  occasion4  occasion1  occasion4  occasion9  occasion6  occasion7
Happy Birthday Rosalie...

Last edited by Nightrider on 04/24/2005 5:14 PM; edited 1 time in total
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: Main Index Page Update - FIXED!!!
PostPosted: 04/23/2005 3:03 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 8:58 AM
texasC.gif
Sure go ahead and blame it on me.   crybaby

But I am glad you fixed it, I was beginning to think I would never again see the index page.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/23/2005 12:13 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Since the error message was so non-specific, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to figure this one out.  I was worried too.  If it hadn't been for CL's Happy Birthday post to you, I wouldn't have had a clue what to look for since rolling back the MODs that I've added for the last week didn't fix the problem...

Thanks to CL, the problem is now fixed.  Of course the bug would have gone into hiding at midnight and would have laid in wait until the next birthday came along.  I'm not sure I would have made the connection the next time that bug raised its ugly head since the birthdays are spaced so far apart...

Now I don't have to worry about it and I can reinstall the MODs that I have removed trying to fix this...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 04/23/2005 9:42 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
"If it hadn't been for CL's Happy Birthday post to you, I wouldn't have had a clue what to look for ....." NR

Please explain how CL's posting the birthday greeting gave you a clue as to what was going on?

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/23/2005 11:33 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I was basically out of ideas of what to check next.  I knew that you were having a problem before I was and gradually everyone else had the problem too, including myself.  Since I had all the latest MODs that I had installed removed again, I knew that something had to be happening that had to have been working correctly for a while and that something in the code that hadn't been accessed prior to the last few days had suddenly come to life.  Then when I saw CL's birthday post to you, I had an aha moment.  The birthday MOD was kicking in to do something new like a birthday email to everyone or something...

When I checked the Index page, sure enough there was code to send an email message to you and everyone else on your birthday, and it was failing badly.  I removed the code and everything worked again.  I really got lucky on this one...

By midnight, the error would have gone away on its own and I might not have had a clue why.  The bug would have laid in wait until the next birthday came along and then the same problem with the Index page would reimerge again.  With the birthdays spread apart, I may never have put two and two together and figured this out.  Like I said, I got lucky on this bug.  I hope there aren't any other untested lines of code anywhere on this board containing a bug that is waiting to hit us just like the Birthday MOD did...

headbang
PostPosted: 04/24/2005 12:23 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
"I hope there aren't any other untested lines of code anywhere on this board containing a bug that is waiting to hit us just like the Birthday MOD did..."  NR

If there are I'm confident that you can handle them if and when they pop up!

sunny
PostPosted: 04/24/2005 1:50 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I'm glad you're confident about that.  This was by far the most difficult problem I've encountered on this board to date and I really got lucky finding and fixing it.  I admit that it shook my confidence a bit.  It sucks having no idea of what went wrong and why with very few hints leading me in the right direction...

munky2
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Bugs/Suggestions/Comments