alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
I lost my sound and my sound program!!!
Goto page: Previous  1, 2
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: I lost my sound and my sound program!!!
PostPosted: 03/20/2005 4:52 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 10:04 PM
peace.gif
If you had a separate sound card on your PC, you would see it inserted in one of your PCI slots.  That is where the cards are installed and where you would connect your audio cables if it existed.  You would also find your Modem card installed there.  If you have been plugging into your mobo, then you have onboard sound, which means that that audio drivers would be included with the Motherboard (mobo)...

You should be able to remove all of the nVidia nForce2 entries in your Device Manager then reboot.  Windows should recognize new hardware and you would want to tell it to search for the drivers.  If the drivers are installed on your PC, it will install them.  If not, you would then get a chance to point it to your CD...

If on the first attempt, Windows found the drivers but this fails to restore your sound, you would then want to go through the whole process again, but this time when Windows recognizes the new devices, you would point it to your CD rather than letting it find the drivers itself. ..

If you have both onboard audio as well as a PCI Sound Card, your problem may be in your BIOS.  You will want to go into the System BIOS during the POST process.  That is when you first turn the PC on.  You can usually enter the BIOS by pressing one of the following keys, it varies depending on make and model:  DEL, F1, F10, ESC, Ctrl+C.  There may be others as well.  If these kew sequences don't work, then we can do some additional research on your PC to determine what you would use.  As soon as you turn the PC on, just repeatedly hit the appropriate key until you enter the BIOS pages...

Once you get inside the BIOS, you might find settings for your Audio.  I recently had to disable a setting for the PCI Sound card so that a friend could hear sound on her PC.  She had both onboard sound and a PCI Sound card installed which caused a conflict because both were enabledin the BIOS...

Stick with us Bobby.  We will make you into a PC expert in no time if you just don't give up...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 03/20/2005 6:43 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
Local time: 9:04 PM
usaCa.gif
Are you still there Blake?  I just went to my Device Manager and SM Bus Controller had a yellow question mark beside it.  When I went into it, it said that the driver was not installed for the SM Bus Controller.  Should I install the driver for it and from what source?
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Bobby Send private message   Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/20/2005 7:12 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
usaCa.gif
Additional information:  I have not had an entry for nVIDIAnForce2 since yesterday afternoon when I uninstalled it from my Add/Remove.  I rebooted twice anyway just a few minutes ago but never got the "New Hardware" popup balloon off my system tray with the choices of how to obtain the drivers as I had before.  Before I got the choices of obtaining the drivers from within my computer, go online and get them or get them from my CD.  Now I don't get that option.  Would not having drivers for my SM Bus Controller have any connection?
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Bobby Send private message   Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/20/2005 8:04 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 10:04 PM
peace.gif
If you have a yellow exclamation mark next to any entry in your Device Manager, that means it's not installed.  You want to delete all entries with the yellow mark and reboot.  Windows should recognize new hardware and you should give it the chance to search for the drivers.  If at that point it can't find them, let it search from your CD.  Hopefully it will find what it needs and install everything correctly.  If not, if you don't choose to skip the hardware install, then it will add the yellow marks back into your Device Manager...

When your nVidia audio drivers are installed correctly, it probably should look something like this in your Device Manager...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 03/20/2005 11:01 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
usaCa.gif
I uninstalled the SM Bus Controller with the yellow question mark in front of it from the Device Manager and rebooted.  The green "New Hardware found" prompt never came up from my System Tray as it should have.  It had poped up earlier but now will not now.  So I inserted the CD that I described to you earlier and the window that came up said that all 5 drivers listed were installed.  Next I inserted a CD labeled Motherboard Drivers into ny CD Rom and got exactly the same window with the same writing as with the 1st CD.  The second CD was written on with a marker pen.  This was created by the person that built my computer I'm sure.  I feel like the further I go the more off-target I get.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC