alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
I lost my sound and my sound program!!!
Goto page: 1, 2  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
I lost my sound and my sound program!!!
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 2:56 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:26 AM
usaCa.gif
I lost my sound on my computer Thursday.  After running all sorts of checks and determining that my speakers were not the problem I decided to uninstall and reinstall my sound program and its drivers.  I went to Control Panel/Add/Remove and found my sound program, nVIDIAnForce2, highlighted it and clicked remove.  Then I inserted my nVIDIAnForce2 series Utilities CD and reinstalled my drivers.  But this CD did not contain my software for my nVIDIAnForce2 sound card.  I had this computer build in October 03 locally and kept all the installation CDs that went with it.  Evidently they did not give me the installation for the sound card.  Realtek AC97 is showing now as my sound program.  Will I have to go back to the builder and get the installation CD for nVIDIAnForce2?  If you respond to this problem please SPEAK UP because I don't have any sound.  Thanks.
crybaby  crybaby  dontknow  dontknow  Shocked  Shocked
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Bobby Send private message   Phoogle Map
Re: I lost my sound and my sound program!!!
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 7:53 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 9:26 AM
peace.gif
The following link should be the correct page to obtain your nVidia nForce2 audio and video drivers.  This download is for W2K and XP.  If you are runing W98, then we will have to do some additional research:

Windows XP / 2K - Audio Driver

Whatever you do when installing drivers for devices on your PC, don't ever force them.  If the install complains, there is usually a good reason.  Installing the drivers anyway could lead to device failure, so be very careful before ignoring any warnings...

Here is other related software that you might need or want:Let me know if this helps or whether we need to do some further research...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 9:18 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
usaCa.gif
I went to that site and D/L the drivers to my "My Downloads" folder.  I want to see if I am proceeding correctly before I do anything else.  Last night I found a CD that was sent home with my computer when I had it built in October 2003.  It is entitled "nVIDIAnForce2 series Utilities CD.  Listed on it are:

Drivers                                    Utilities

*nVIDIA Chipsets/                    *Norton Internet Security 2003
                                              *DirectX 9.0 for Windows* for 9X/Xp/Me
*ATA 133 + Raid/                      *Adobe Acrobat Reader ver5.05
*USB 2.0/                                 *EasyTune 4 System Enhancement Utility
*MS,SD & SCR/ *Audio/             *@BIOS Online BIOS Flash Utility
*Network
*Serial ATA
I D/L the Drivers from it.  Right now Add/Remove has nVIDIAnForce Drivers listed.  Before I ran that CD nVIDIAnForce was listed as my sound and audio device in the Control Panel under the Sound and Audio Icon but now there is no reference anywhere on my computer.  Should I remove the existing nVIDIAnForce Drivers from Add/Remove before installing the drivers that I just D/L from the site that you posted?  Also, an icon for "Sound Effect" has appeared in my System Tray that was never there before.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Bobby Send private message   Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 9:51 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:26 AM
texasC.gif
Bobby, I think Blake has gone to bed.  Your CD list looks pretty much the same as mine;

My Add/Remove also has nVIDIAnForce Drivers listed.  I don't have a sound card, my mobo came with onboard sound, did yours also?  The "Sound Effects" is a little program where you can play around with sound effects. If that's your kind of thing then keep it.  I removed it, last thing I need was something else in my tray.  

If sound doesn't appear in your Device Manager than I would think the drivers were not installed properly.  First of all you could try doing what you did before by removing the entry in Add/Remove, reboot, and try downloading those drivers from the CD again.  My CD has an Express options and I think the last time I had a problem with drivers I used that.  If you look at the list of your drivers on that CD it will tell you which ones are installed.  Well... at least mine does.  If your does than click the ones that aren't installed.

If you have not already done so you might want to read this page.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000208.htm

Here is a excerpt from the article:

Missing sound card section.

If you are missing the "Sound, video and game controllers" category in device manager, it is likely that the sound card drivers are not installed properly
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 10:28 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
usaCa.gif
Hi Rosalie,   In my Device Manager I have a catagory of Sound, Video and Audio.  Before I uninstalled the Drivers from Add/Remove last night, nVIDIAnForce was listed as a sub-category under Sound, Video and Audio in my Device Manager.  It is gone now.  installing theShould I have another CD for nVIDIAnForce sound card in addition to the Drivers CD that I have?  Evidently I have a sound card since it was listed as nVIDIAnForce before I got to messing with it.  Messing with it is a highly technical term us computer gurus use.  Should I uninstall the "nVIDIAnForce Drivers from the Add/Remove list and then run my drivers CD or install the drivers that I D/L from the site that Blake posted?
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 10:29 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Bobby, are you sure that Sound in Device Manager showed nVIDIAnForce?  Or just under Display Adapters.  I have NVIDIA geForce and here is what shows up in my Device Manager. I have Realtek AC'97 Audio under Sound, that's my onboard sound chip.

Image Shack is down right now so I had to got with this crappy image displayer. LOL  Click the thumbnail to enlarge

View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 10:37 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
LOL, looks like we were both posting at the same time.

I'm just wondering if you might have removed the wrong the wrong drivers from Add/Remove.  Happened to me one time.  Did you try just installing all the drivers from you CD?  I DO have two CDs I have to use to reinstall my mobo drivers.  Which are the ones you are installing BTW.

To complicate matters, in addtition to the nVIDIA onboard, my Video card is an nVIDIA and there is a driver on there that has to be installed when installing the drivers from the MOBO CD.  If you have tried reinstalling all your drivers and it didn't help, try that first download Blade pointed you  to.

BTW, I hope you DID NOT install any nVIDIA drivers that Windows Update offers!  That's what messed me up one time.  NEVER install any drivers from Windows update
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 10:46 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
And YES, if you DO have a sound card then you should have a another CD for it besides the mobo CD.
PostPosted: 03/19/2005 8:00 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 9:26 AM
peace.gif
Well, has there been any progress on this yet???

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 03/20/2005 3:48 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Bobby
Citation
Posts 5352
Word Cnt. 902,182
BDay Jun 19
Sign Gemini
usaCa.gif
I think that I have progressed to the point that I realize that it's time for me to take my computer to someone who knows what they are doing to get it fixed.  I went to a birthday party at one of my nieces and her husband is a semi-literate computer person.  He explained how to tell if I had a separate sound card or if it's built in to the MOBO.  I looked on the back of my tower when I got home and I evidently don't have a separate sound card.  I went to Add/Remove and removed the nVIDIAnForce drivers again.  When I put my driver CD in my CD Rom drive I get the message that my drivers for nVIDIAnForce are "installed" as well as the other drivers listed on my CD.  Total confusion!!  I don't understand why it wouldn't be a simple matter to determine if you have a separate sound card in your computer.  It looks like it would be listed somewhere.  Like in my Belarc Advisor or my AIDA32 program.  I'm looking at my Quick PC Installation Guide which is a picture of my MOBO and I see a "nVIDIA nForce 2 Ultra 400 shown in the center of my MOBO.  I guess that's my sound card?  I'm going to call the company that built my computer on Monday and see when they can work on mine.  This has gotten above my expertise.  I thank you for your help but I'm just not advanced enough to even answer your questions.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC