alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Best way to clean up?
Goto page: 1, 2  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Best way to clean up?
PostPosted: 08/14/2006 6:48 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
Rizzo
Hawk
Posts 178
Word Cnt. 4,784
BDay Mar 26
Sign Aries
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 3:35 PM
newzeaC3.gif
I want to remove quite a few mods from my forum. I have over 112 installed, so to use Easymod to uninstall all and then reinstall all is going to take forever, but is this the best way?

OR, do i write an uninstall version of whatever it is (oppposite of the install process) and do it that way?
View user's profile Find all posts by Rizzo Send private message   Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Re: Best way to clean up?
PostPosted: 08/14/2006 6:49 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
Rizzo
Hawk
Posts 178
Word Cnt. 4,784
BDay Mar 26
Sign Aries
newzeaC3.gif
Or do i just start again altogether wth a clean install, install what i want on that, and then copy database over?
View user's profile Find all posts by Rizzo Send private message   Visit poster's website ICQ Number
PostPosted: 08/14/2006 7:29 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
Local time: 9:35 PM
usaCa.gif
Rizzo wrote:
Or do i just start again altogether wth a clean install, install what i want on that, and then copy database over?

That sounds like the fastest and easiest way to do it if its possible to do it that way and copy only the data without the mods. NR might know if it can be done if not thenĀ I would try doing it that way first.  Just don't delete your older board for a few weeks until you know for sure the new one is working ok.
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 08/15/2006 2:52 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 10:35 PM
peace.gif
Unless most of the MODs that you want to remove were installed last, then it would probably be easier to start over from scratch.  Just build a parallel clean copy of phpBB 2.0.21, add all the templates that you plan to use, install EM, then install the MODs that you want to include...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 08/16/2006 11:41 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
Rizzo
Hawk
Posts 178
Word Cnt. 4,784
BDay Mar 26
Sign Aries
newzeaC3.gif
I've started doing this now Smile Thanks!
PostPosted: 08/17/2006 12:42 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I imagine that now that you have a lot more experience, this will go a lot easier the second time around...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 08/27/2006 9:50 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Karen
Citation
Posts 1253
Word Cnt. 68,166
BDay Nov 9
Sign Scorpio
Local time: 2:35 AM
greatbrE.gif
How would I build a parallel copy?
Do I have to have it hosted?

Thanks  wave
View user's profile Find all posts by Karen Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 08/27/2006 1:48 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Unless you are short on space on your FTP Server, you can build your parallel board on the same domain that you are using now.  IF you want to build from scratch, then you would just upload a fresh copy of phpBB to a new folder and install it into a new database.  Then you could restore your current board database backup into the new database.   Then after a few settings changes in your phpbb_config table, you could begin updating the new board just like your other board...

If you want to create an parallel board identical to what you have now, which is good for creating a Test board, you could follow these instructions:

Creating Test phpBB Board

I can give you enough to get started.  

1. The first thing you want to do is download all of your board files and folders to your PC.  
  2. Next, create a folder on your server called Test...
  3. Upload all of the board files and folders that you just downloaded to your PC back to your new Test folder...
  4. Create a new Test database
  5. Open the Test config.php file in your favorite editor and modify the dbname, dbuser, and dbpasswd settings to match your new Test Database
  6. Create a database backup of your Live board database from your ACP...
  7. Restore your new database backup back to your new Test database.  This will probably take a long time.  You will probably need some help with this step unless you are very familiar with phpMyAdmin...
  8. Modify phpbb_config table settings in your Test database that contain a full or partial board path to match the URL path on your new board

Your new Test board should be good to go at this point.  My instructions above may take some time to accomplish, but it is worth it to have a Test board available to test install new MODs that you want to install on your Live board.

headbang
PostPosted: 08/27/2006 2:49 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Karen
Citation
Posts 1253
Word Cnt. 68,166
BDay Nov 9
Sign Scorpio
Local time: 2:35 AM
greatbrE.gif
Thanks for that I have made a note.

You rock for advice!  headbang
View user's profile Find all posts by Karen Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 08/29/2006 4:57 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I've been really overwhelmed with support requests lately so my response times have suffered significantly.  If you need any help with creating a Test board, please don't hesitate to ask.  Hopefully I will be able to help you in a timely manner if needed...

munky2
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support