alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
PostFusion
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Re: PostFusion
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 5:31 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 4:39 PM
usaCa.gif
Hi GTAce and welcome to RCF, I have been on lurking as a guest on your forums (after I made my post here)  I own jaddon.com and RCF owners are my very close friends as well as I am friends with many of the members here.

So yes my first thought was your site asking us to install a script to ours did strike me to be concerned and I don't want my friends who have worked so hard building their sites to be scamed!

Anyway I would rather get our questions answered here then at your forums please.

I did not find any detail info on your site about what that install you want your users to install - why is that script needed?  and why do you need to know our statics?  The fact that one of the first things I saw on your site was that we had to install that is what gave me reason to be concerned.
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 5:50 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Glenn I
Citation
Posts 2152
Word Cnt. 78,257
BDay Jun 15
Sign Gemini
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 7:39 AM
australC_1xa.gif
I don't think I will be bothering with this. Membership is increasing nicely and traffic is great. I have a few links placed around different sites and they are proving to be a great way of attracting new members.

Also any new members I get will want to register because they are aviation enthuiasts and not those wannbees who just want to get a few extra points.

I'll stay the way I am.
View user's profile Find all posts by Glenn I Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 6:22 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Local time: 3:39 PM
texasC.gif
Right now I feel the same way you do, Aussie.  I want people posting here because they like the community and feel comfortable with all of us and will share their thoughts, wants, joys and sorrows because they want to.  

I don't know what to think about having people post just so they can get posts on their boards.  Only reason I can see any reason for that would be for someone to be making money via advertising or "clicks"

Don't mean to be ugly or over suspicious GTAce, I'm just being honest and I don't always say what I mean in the best possible way.  But I don't mean any harm.

Maybe with a few questions and answers we may come to know your program better and understand it as a good thing.

sunny

Last edited by rb2d2 on 04/16/2006 6:24 PM; edited 1 time in total
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 6:23 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
Rizzo
Hawk
Posts 178
Word Cnt. 4,784
BDay Mar 26
Sign Aries
Local time: 10:39 AM
newzeaC3.gif
Glenn, i don't think you'll find that that will actually happen. The people sign up to those they are interested in, and there's a big long list, so they'll just skip yours if not into aviation...

FTAce, thanks for coming on and answering questions, that makes me feel really good about this whole thing!! wave

ps. Do i get extra credits for advertising it?  nana
View user's profile Find all posts by Rizzo Send private message   Visit poster's website ICQ Number
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 7:00 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
I am sorry GTAce but I feel the same way as Aussie and RB - well said RB!

I really don’t want or need members who are coming just to get more post or clicks for their site!   My site is not about that anyway - I don't even require my members to have a certain amount of post to get benefits like many other forums do.  

Also would hate to see that happen here - as RB said that they want here, is one of the main reasons I love it here at RCF is because it is a small community where we are all friends, there is a family feeling here and that is what I feel is better then the large forums where there are to many post to keep up with and most don’t even know each other.  That is also my goal for my forums as well.

More members and post does not make a site better.

I also agree with RB we need more info the first impression I got was not good but I am willing to learn more and change my thoughts Smile
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 7:52 PM Reply with quote
Hummingbird
GTAce
Hummingbird
Posts 7
Word Cnt. 909
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
blank.gif
It's totally fine with me if you guys would rather have genuine members who found your forums on their own - I understand that completely and am the same way myself.  The reason I created this system is because I saw a dire need for it.  If you frequent other webmaster forums, you will notice that the post exchanging business is HUGE.  There are a LOT of forum owners exchanging posts...not all do and it's not for everybody, yourselves included, but there are definitely a lot of people who do.

As Rizzo said, it's not as if anybody and everybody will be posting in your forums...there is currently a list of ~120 forums to choose from...this means that members can go through the list of 120 forums and post at the ones they are most interested in.

Regarding the need for installation and statistics.  The whole point of the system is to exchange posts and keep track of how many posts you both make and receive - this way we can give more credits to those who post the most and thus list them higher up...which means they will in turn receive more posts in return.  To collect this information, you place our script on your site.  It consists of two files.  One configuration file, and another file which contains the script.  The configuration file contains one line that you must edit...you don't need to edit any other files - not your forum files and not your database.  As far as the script, your forums, and your database.  All that it looks at and reports back to us is usernames and post counts.  The script itself connects to your database, but it never sees a password and neither do we.  

Since you cant see the Privacy Policy and Agreement as a guest, I'll post it here.  *NOTE* This Privacy Policy might not be up to date - it is up to date at the time of this post, but no later.

Quote:
Privacy Policy and Usage Agreement

Before downloading, installing, and using PostFusion, you must understand and agree to the following:

This privacy policy is intended to inform you, the PostFusion user, of AdminFusion's information management practices including the types of information gathered, how this information is used and safeguarded, and the degree to which you may control the maintenance and sharing of your information. Your use of any of our information or services constitutes acceptance of this Privacy Policy and the Terms of Use, which is hereby incorporated by reference.

Privacy Policy

PostFusion will collect two types of information: that regarding your own forum and that regarding your account on participating forums.  Forum name, description, software, and version will be collected from your forum.  In addition, you will place our script on your server and provide us with the location.  The only information collected from participating forums will be your username.  With this information, PostFusion will calculate various post counts which will then be displayed for public use.  You specifically provide this information on a voluntary basis.  No personally identifiable information will be collected by PostFusion.

This information can be collected, correlated, and used by third parties, and may result in unsolicited messages from other posters or third parties. Such activities are beyond the control of AdminFusion and are not subject to this Privacy Policy.

Usage Agreement

* By participating in PostFusion, you do so at your own risk.
   * PostFusion is released as-is, with no warranty.
   * The modification of PostFusion files is strictly prohibited unless otherwise told to do so by AdminFusion only.
   * Tampering with the collection process is prohibited.
   * AdminFusion is not responsible for the misuse of files provided.
   * Information collected and displayed via PostFusion is for the use of AdminFusion and AdminFusion only.
   * If you are found violating any of the above rules, you will be removed from PostFusion and subject to removal from AdminFusion.

If you agree, please click "I Agree" below.

I want to add, PostFusion is not the only thing we do...it is merely one part of AdminFusion.  AdminFusion is the site as a whole and is the majority of "what we are about".  We've been around for 6 months and PostFusion has been around for 4 months.  We would have nothing to gain and everything to lose if PostFusion were to be a scam...but being that it is part of our already established community and that PostFusion itself has already had 200+ participating members with 13k+ posts and no security or privacy issues, I don't see it happening in the future Wink

Again, not trying to persuade you by any means...I'm just simply answering the questions you have here...if you still have more, let me know.
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 9:28 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
Thanks GTAce for taking the time to post that info for us! Smile  I think you should make your Privacy Policy and Usage Agreement available for guest to see by hiding it to guest makes it look like you are hiding something.  Don't you think guest who are considering joining should be able to read the privacy policy and any other info needed BEFORE they join?  Just my thoughts since that is what caused most of my concerns as a guest I can see you want to install a script on my site but I have to join to get the details?

As I guest I was able to read your topics and post which I did read many, you do have a lot of good info on there for webmasters great tips on how to advertise sites.  I just don’t agree with the trading of post but you do have lots of good info on your forums.
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 9:37 PM Reply with quote
Hummingbird
GTAce
Hummingbird
Posts 7
Word Cnt. 909
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
blank.gif
Thanks Jaddon

You are probably right about the Privacy Policy thing and guest access...that is something we will take care of in a future release.

Regarding the trading of posts, hey, I agree with you.  However ironic it may sound, I don't like to trade posts either...I think that there are better ways to get your forums going - but the fact of the matter is, a whole lot of people like to exchange posts, so I've made it easy for them to do so.

You're not the only one who chooses not to do it though Wink
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 10:26 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Local time: 3:39 PM
texasC.gif
You're right, GTAce, as you say it's not for everyone but for some it can be very useful and valuable.   If your message board has a lot of advertisement then membership, activity and traffic is very important.  Vital as a matter of fact.

Seems like a good program you have going, I wish you much success.

Check this out!

blob8
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 04/16/2006 10:46 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
GTAce wrote:
Thanks Jaddon
Regarding the trading of posts, hey, I agree with you.  However ironic it may sound, I don't like to trade posts either...I think that there are better ways to get your forums going - but the fact of the matter is, a whole lot of people like to exchange posts, so I've made it easy for them to do so.

You're not the only one who chooses not to do it though Wink

Your Welcome Smile

Wow that is ironic that you dont like to trade post lol but it does make me feel better that you understand why we would not want to. Smile

As I said before the info you offer on your forums other then the trading of post I did find very useful, some I have already been doing but there is tons of info you have there.

Could we join your forums without taking part in the post trading?
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support