alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
index for word
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
index for word
PostPosted: 10/16/2005 9:22 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 9:10 PM
usaCa.gif
I have a 400 page book and another smaller one and they need indexs, which takes forever and is a great stumbling block.  I can make an index using word, but I get overwhelmed trying to figure out how to print it out. So I haven't made it since I can't print it. There has to be a way that I am missing. Anyone in here know?

Also, again I tried to download the google browser bar and agin it shuts down with erro message telling me it is closing it. Would this be my firewall doing this or is it HPs fault?
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
index for word
PostPosted: 10/16/2005 10:51 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:10 AM
texasC.gif
I'm not sure what you mean about the index, fishead.  Are the books on your HDD?  Or have you created the index manally?  What is the problem with printing?   It doesn't print it correctly or it won't print it at all.  Have you got the index in columns?

Not sure about Word, I haven't done anything like that using Word, but I have with Word Perfect.  If you use the Index utility to create the index you of course need the book on the HDD.

About the Google Bar, can you give the exact error?  Can you copy and paste it?  Or open Notepad while the error is up and type the error out if it won't copy and paste.  It would help to know exactly what it says.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
re
PostPosted: 10/17/2005 9:18 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
When I am in word, looking at a chapter, I have the option to make an index to use in word. I want this index printed that I made in WORD, but when i view the document, there is no index to print.

It is in word and not in the book permanently. So the index is great for a book  if you want to read it in WORD, but I cannot print it out or figure out how to do it.

I have made several manual versions of indexs, but I never get finished, it will take years.

As far as my other problem, I know what it is. This pc, when I started it I messed up and didn't start a new user and so now whan I try to add one I lose so much I have a hard time getting it all back so i give up and use the "go back" feature, in a desperate panic state. I'll brave it again soon, last time I got everything back except my mail, but I think I figured it out where it goes. The error is the "we have encounted and error and must close program, do you want to send hp and error report?". I've had this a zillion times, like when working with video footage. Over work it or go too fast and it can error easially. I fill up the 160 gig hd sometimes.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
index for word
PostPosted: 10/17/2005 10:41 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:10 AM
texasC.gif
I'll see what I can find out about the index problem, fishead, I didn't even kown that Word offered to create an index for a document.  I'm still not sure if you can SEE the index it creates or not?  I really don't see how it can create an index by itself, how would it know what you want to index?

Do you actually see an index that has been created, fishead?  If so can't you highlight it, copy and then paste into a new page and print that page?

Quote:
As far as my other problem, I know what it is. This pc, when I started it I messed up and didn't start a new user and so now whan I try to add one I lose so much I have a hard time getting it all back

I have done that!   Made such a mess I couldn't even get Windows to load.  Wanted a password and user name ....  Nightrider helped me with that, he knows how to fix it.  You might ask him to help.  It would help to be in AIM or Yahoo Instant messenger so the can tell you step by step what to do.  You can fix that for good.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
index for word
PostPosted: 12/15/2005 4:05 AM Reply with quote
Sparrow
gdatuk
Sparrow
Posts 22
Word Cnt. 870
BDay Nov 15
Sign Scorpio
Local time: 1:10 PM
indiaC.gif
here is how u create an auto matic index or rightly called as TOC..table of contents

first format all ur heading and subheading to be heading 1 or heading 2 or heading 2. they must not be as normal fonts

then insert>reference>tables and indexes> choose tab table of content...choose format u want and press ok....

its done!
View user's profile Find all posts by gdatuk Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Google Talk
re
PostPosted: 12/18/2005 5:23 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I missed these replies. First off, making the index, table of contants etc is very easy to make. The problem is - how do I print the index I make? It still holds. Looking for answer. I could get a screen shot, then scan it in as text, but that seems ridiculas, there has to be a way. I haven't spent any more time on my book, but when I do, if I ever figure it out, I will post the answer here.

As far as the other problem, of not having myself as a user on my pc, and when i do add myself, I lose everything, and I am able to get most things back, but its my website program and email that are hard to find while in a panic attack trying to get back up and running. I think I found where the email lays, so its a matter of getting enough time and courage. If I would have done it when I first bought this thing, it wouldn't have been a problem. I lose favorites, all data, everything has to be transfers by pulling it out one thing at a time, and a good way to corrupt files.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC