alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
TV on my PC
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
TV on my PC
PostPosted: 11/24/2005 6:25 AM Reply with quote
Sparrow
GrayDragon
Sparrow
Posts 24
Word Cnt. 1,392
BDay Jun 23
Sign Cancer
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:19 AM
usaCa.gif
Hello everyone,
I have an HP pavilion, XP, 120gid hard drive, 520meg RAM, 128meg Vidio card. I have a ton of usb slots and a few slots that I don't have a clue what they are for. I give this info so maybe it will help if someone has an answer:
I know I have tv in capabilities, where I can watch tv on my computer and record also. What I don't know is how to hook it up.
I think it may have something to do with a tv in/out card or something like that but I don't know if I have one, where to look to see if I do or what to do with it if it is there.
The reason I am interested is that my wife is forever watching shows I don't like. I do like being in the same room with her and being a good husband (smart is more like it), I let her watch what she wants. If I could get my computer to play tv, it would be great.
Oh yes, I also use cable and RoadRunner internet.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
GrayDragon.
View user's profile Find all posts by GrayDragon Send private message   Visit poster's website
TV on my PC
PostPosted: 11/24/2005 1:10 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 9:19 AM
peace.gif
It sounds like you are real close GrayDragon.  Did the InTV come with the PC or did you buy it?  I would think that all the software is already installed if it came bundled with your PC.  You would look for the link that launches your TV...

If you installed a Video or TV card, then you may need to install the software still.  The hardware should have included an install CD or DVD.  You would want to install it...

If you already have the software installed yet all the channels are blank, you will want to go into Settings or Preferences, whatever they call it, and there should be an option for it to Automatically Scan all channels.  Once it has finished scanning, you should be able to go to any channel simply by typing in the number...

You already have RR connected, but you might have to run a separate cable to your video or TV card.  You can buy a splitter for the cable for almost nothing at Radio Shack or your local PC or hardware stores.  You will also need a second ethernet cable to go from the splitter to your Video or TV card.  You should be able to find where that plugs in at the back of your PC.  It should only be able to go in at one spot...

What type of InTV hardware do you have???

We are running the Thanksgiving Welcome message today at the top, but tomorrow, look forward to seeing your name in lights at the top of our board...

Laughing
Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Welcome to RCF GrayDragon

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing
Laughing

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
TV on my PC
PostPosted: 11/26/2005 6:11 AM Reply with quote
Sparrow
GrayDragon
Sparrow
Posts 24
Word Cnt. 1,392
BDay Jun 23
Sign Cancer
Local time: 8:19 AM
usaCa.gif
Thanks NightRider,
What I had to wind up doing was to go out and buy a tv tuner card. It is now installed, hooked up and I am watching tv as I type this. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to install and use the remote control that came with it....lol. That is not important however and I will figure it out.
Thanks for your help and a big thanks for the banner, it was very nice.
See ya,
GrayDragon
View user's profile Find all posts by GrayDragon Send private message   Visit poster's website
TV on my PC
PostPosted: 11/26/2005 7:33 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I'm glad this is all worked out now, GrayDragon.  I've never seen an InTV PCI card that came with a remote.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.  I always connected them to VCR players and used the VCR remote to change the TV channels...

You might have noticed that I moved your Welcome Topic to IMO.  There were several other members who wanted to meet and greet you too.  You might want to take a look if you get a chance...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
TV on my PC
PostPosted: 11/29/2005 10:17 AM Reply with quote
Hummingbird
viking16
Hummingbird
Posts 6
Word Cnt. 155
BDay Feb 5
Sign Aquarius
Local time: 5:19 AM
flag_blk6_1.gif
Another idea I saw this on black friday I forget what it is called but you it has alot of letters on the top of the box and it connects to your cable box. What it does is it watches TV and sends it over your home network (or though your internet connection) and you see it on a URL (a website) Kinda cool huh. But I forget the name. I am sure the evil CompUSA will have it.
TV on my PC
PostPosted: 11/29/2005 2:12 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
That is neat.  If you can think of the name, that would probably help several members here.  That sounds better than installing a TV PCI card in each PC...

Applause
Found it
PostPosted: 11/29/2005 3:20 PM Reply with quote
Hummingbird
viking16
Hummingbird
Posts 6
Word Cnt. 155
BDay Feb 5
Sign Aquarius
Local time: 5:19 AM
flag_blk6_1.gif
the product is called Sling Box

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-technical-specifications--pi-2147159.html
TV on my PC
PostPosted: 11/29/2005 4:21 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Wow, that is kewl.  Too bad it's so expensive.  It would also be a problem for people like me who are still using dial-up but for people on a cable modem, that would be teriffic.  It sounds like if you can find some URL links that are probably already out there, you could watch cable TV that someone else is broadcasting to the Net so you wouldn't even have to buy the box...

headbang
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC