alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
MODs Installed in RCF...
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Re: MODs Installed in RCF...
PostPosted: 08/08/2006 11:28 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 11:23 PM
peace.gif
armyqt wrote:
I just want to start over.  But I have 75 members and I don't want to have them re-register.  dontknow

You can start over without losing any of your data or members.  I suggest creating a parallel board, upgrade it to how you want it, then switch it back so that your members would be using it.  If done correctly, your members would never know that anything changed.  I would be happy to help you with this...

Here are the instructions for starting over by using the same phpBB folder name, but you can also follow similar steps in creating the parallel board that you can upgrade while your members are still using the board that you plan to get rid of.  Once you get the Parallel board to a point where you are ready to bring it live, it only takes a few small steps to switch it over.  Chances are, your members would never notice, especially if you do it during a slow period...

phpBB Starting Over - Retaining Data

Ok, it isn't a problem starting over with your phpBB code and retaining the data in your database.  This is what you would do...

Replicating phpBB Install

What I do when I want to reload all the files on a server is this:
  1. Create a backup of your current config.php file
  2. If you are upgrading to a newer phpBB version, run the update_to_latest.php file in your browser from your phpBB root folder
  3. upload all new phpBB files,
  4. overwrite config.php with your backup
  5. delete contrib and install folder
  6. upload all new unmodified templates and images
  7. install EM
  8. reinstall all MODs using EM

It's fast and easy and you retain all of your data in your database...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 08/08/2006 12:59 PM Reply with quote
Sparrow
armyqt
Sparrow
Posts 12
Word Cnt. 522
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
Local time: 10:23 PM
virginCf_c7a.gif
Thanks for the info.  I would definitely need your help on this. But let me ask this again.  Before I installed EM, I did a back up and saved it on my PC.  If I restored that backup, will it get rid of EM and all the installed mods?  If so, this would be so much easier for me.  I'm really intimidated by the steps you've outlined above.  Embarassed
View user's profile Find all posts by armyqt Send private message   Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 08/08/2006 2:43 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Yes, if you made a backup of your phpBB files before installing EM and the MODs, then restoring it would eliminate everything that you've installed since, except of course for the database entries.  The database is not a problem though...

Don't be intimidated by what I wrote.  Since you will be creating a parallel board, leaving the live board intact while you are creating it, there will be no chance to damage anything.  Just created a new folder, upload the phpBB files to it, then we can go from there...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 08/08/2006 5:57 PM Reply with quote
Sparrow
armyqt
Sparrow
Posts 12
Word Cnt. 522
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
virginCf_c7a.gif
Ok so do the back up and then create the parallel board.  Please forgive me I've I'm being redundant.  I just do not want to muck this up.
View user's profile Find all posts by armyqt Send private message   Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 08/08/2006 6:39 PM Reply with quote
Sparrow
armyqt
Sparrow
Posts 12
Word Cnt. 522
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
virginCf_c7a.gif
I really screwed things up now.  The restore back up didn't work.  It deleted all of my new 12 members that signed up in the last couple of days and all the posts.  EM is STILL installed and now I can't log into it because it won't take my password.  I need some serious help.

Oh and on top of that, all the garbage mods are still installed as well.  Rolling Eyes
PostPosted: 08/08/2006 10:55 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
You weren't supposed to be restoring your backups to your Live database.  You want to restore it to your new Test database.  if you have a good database backup, we can recover what you have lost...

Shocked
PostPosted: 08/09/2006 8:13 AM Reply with quote
Sparrow
armyqt
Sparrow
Posts 12
Word Cnt. 522
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
virginCf_c7a.gif
Thanks.  Are you online right now?
PostPosted: 08/09/2006 9:41 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I am now...

headbang
PostPosted: 03/16/2007 6:47 PM Reply with quote
Glider
MistaChy
Glider
Posts 245
Word Cnt. 8,270
BDay Oct 9
Sign Libra
Local time: 9:23 PM
blank.gif
Would you recommend the advanced bbcode box. do you have it installed on your site, cause i dont see all the options that are listed in the description of the mod. would this mod be good for me or is it one i might not want?
View user's profile Find all posts by MistaChy Send private message   Visit poster's website
PostPosted: 03/16/2007 10:14 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
No, I don't recommend the Advanced Bbcode Box MOD unless you don't have a need to add additional BBCode MODs.  With the Advanced Bbcode Box MOD everything is cast in stone and there is no way to add additional buttons to it.  It looks nice though...

munky2
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support