alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
a big thing but not required
Goto page: 1, 2  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
a big thing but not required
PostPosted: 08/06/2007 1:02 AM Reply with quote
Sparrow
Jasso
Sparrow
Posts 33
Word Cnt. 951
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 6:12 AM
swedenCxt1k.gif
Hey Just wondering 2 things.

1.) Hey I just opened a new forum and I've recently installed several mods. I was wondering if its possible to import my old database's users and posts without corrupting the current users/posts and mods that are install. Thanks.

2.) Is it possible to make a flash animation portal using phpbb by installing the attachment mod and then using phpbb fetchall to display it to look more like a portal?
Re: a big thing but not required
PostPosted: 08/06/2007 2:08 AM Reply with quote
Sparrow
Jasso
Sparrow
Posts 33
Word Cnt. 951
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
swedenCxt1k.gif
Oh and also I downloaded your easymod version of the blog mod and I get this:

Critical Error

Could not perform improperly formed COPY command.
./*.* to ./*.*
MOD script line #361 :: FAQ :: Report

Sad lol I tried removing the ./*.* but I think it might overwrite my directories.
PostPosted: 08/06/2007 5:02 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 7:12 AM
peace.gif
Jasso wrote:
1.) Hey I just opened a new forum and I've recently installed several mods. I was wondering if its possible to import my old database's users and posts without corrupting the current users/posts and mods that are install. Thanks.

It might be a problem trying to combine the data from two tables since the Unique IDs will probably collide.  You can't have duplicate user_ids, so if you have a member with user_id in one database, you wouldn't be able to add a record for a member from another database that also has the same user_id.  That could cause a huge mess.  And since the same applies to the Posts and Topics tables, even if you were able to combine them, you might have a problem synchronizing the posts with the members if you had to change user_ids of some members so that you could combine the tables.  It can be done, but it would be a real challenge if you have a lot of records in both databases and tables...

Jasso wrote:
2.) Is it possible to make a flash animation portal using phpbb by installing the attachment mod and then using phpbb fetchall to display it to look more like a portal?

I really don't know what you mean or why you would need the Attachment MOD for part of this scenario.  Can you elaborate a bit???

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 08/06/2007 5:05 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Jasso wrote:
Oh and also I downloaded your easymod version of the blog mod and I get this:

Critical Error

Could not perform improperly formed COPY command.
./*.* to ./*.*
MOD script line #361 :: FAQ :: Report

Sad lol I tried removing the ./*.* but I think it might overwrite my directories.

Try using the EM Friendly copy of the MOD script that I created for everyone:

the_blog_mod_024b_em_freindly.zip

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 08/06/2007 4:24 PM Reply with quote
Sparrow
Jasso
Sparrow
Posts 33
Word Cnt. 951
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
swedenCxt1k.gif
I dont really know how to elaborate on the flash animation portal thing I was going at....you do know what I mean right?

And you would need the attachment mod other wise people can't submit animations....

As for the database mashing, the current database only has 12 users and 400 something posts, as I just made it yesterday, the previous database has 7000 something posts and around 150 users give or take.
PostPosted: 08/07/2007 5:49 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
It would be easier to adjust the user_ids of the smaller database, then merge them than the other way around, that's for sure...

I really don't know anything about the fetchall option.  If it allows you to fetch attachments and display them, then it shouldn't be that difficult to code it to work on your portal page...

dontknow
PostPosted: 08/07/2007 5:09 PM Reply with quote
Sparrow
Jasso
Sparrow
Posts 33
Word Cnt. 951
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
swedenCxt1k.gif
the thing im worried about is, will all my mods get *@$&#ed up when i add in the new users and posts?
PostPosted: 08/07/2007 11:54 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
LOL  I think you are confusing the data stored in your database with the files stored on your FTP Server.  Your MODs will not be affected by the data stored in your database.  The data in your database has no bearing on the code installed on your FTP Server...

Unless you change the structure of your tables and lose some of the tables, fields, and/or config records required by installed MODs, adding members and posts will have absolutely no affect on the MODs currently installed in your phpBB code.  They have very little relation with one another...

headbang
PostPosted: 08/08/2007 1:56 AM Reply with quote
Sparrow
Jasso
Sparrow
Posts 33
Word Cnt. 951
BDay N/A
Sign N/A
swedenCxt1k.gif
*sigh* I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. A lot of the mods I've installed have altered the users table im pretty sure.
PostPosted: 08/08/2007 2:31 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
The only problem you will have is if the destination table structure doesn't match what is needed in your forum.  Copying the data to the tables won't change the structure unless you include a DROP TABLE query in the process.  Then if the tables are recreated or required fields are missing from the table structure, that will pose a problem.  But if you only copy the data from one table to the other without changing any table structures, you should be fine...

headbang
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support