alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Ordered a new pc, look out windows 7
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: Ordered a new pc, look out windows 7
PostPosted: 08/30/2013 11:55 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 12:09 AM
usaCa.gif
firstpage 2000 crashes all the time in windows7. It freezes up a lot too. Kindof thinking about buying win xp for this pc.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 08/30/2013 4:25 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 10:09 AM
texasC.gif
Quote:
Kindof thinking about buying win xp for this pc

You may be asking for a lot of trouble.  Just read around.  

If that machine came with Win7, the drivers for the mobo, graphic card, etc were made for Win7.  There may not be any for XP. Before you buy anything I would go to the PC manufacturers web site and see if there are drivers for a XP operating system.  

To find out the exact brand and name of your components install and run Belarc Adviser.

I found this for you to read, it says it better than I ever could and you get advice along the way

Downgrading Windows 7 to Win XP

I think there are several pages

Brick wall
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 08/30/2013 4:37 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
They quit developing 1st Page 2000 before Win7 came out, it's not surprising it won't work with Win7.  I think the last update was around 2003 or there abouts.

Try Googling: Free HTML editor for Win7.  I don't have it anymore but at one time I did have Coffee Cup and it was OK.  

wave
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 09/02/2013 5:32 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I do have xp on that pc that came with vista and I had to contact hp about getting drivers.

I have tried all the top html editors and don't like any of them. Coffee cup was ok until it expired and then most things were then disabled. I am just using 1stpage 200 on my older pc that had trouble with it when IO was using that pc. It works ok for now.

This w7 stalls out all the time, even on the internet. It stalls out in most all programs at sometime or other. Sometimes it's lightning fast, other times it stalls out. It has a mind of it's own. Kind of reminds me of vista, who knows whats going on in the background. Most people think all that is normal because they haven't had xp or they don't use a pc for work. It stalls out in photoshop a lot, it says program not responding, but then wait a minute and it comes out of it. Been doing that since out of box.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 09/02/2013 7:06 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
It stalls out in photoshop a lot, it says program not responding, but then wait a minute and it comes out of it. Been doing that since out of box.

I think I would have sent it back right away and have them deal with it.

However, that's of no help to you now is it?  Only thing I can recommend is read what others have done to solve the problem and try a few of the solutions to see if one works for you.  There is definitely something on the PC that is causing your problem, Dave.  Finding it can be time consuming but it can be found.

win 7 program not responding

Do you happen to have two anti-virus programs running in the background at the same time?  Even if you have only one try uninstalling it and see if that makes a difference. Unplug from the internet first if you worry about getting infected.

Should you find a solution please come back and let us know.  Even if you don't find a solutions come back and tell what all you have tired and maybe we can find something else to try.

sunny
PostPosted: 09/08/2013 9:17 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
rb, I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, I researched and read where people had a lot of trouble with w7 and w8 was even worse  we all knew that. But like you said, xp can be trouble since it's so old these days so what is someone to do... there isn't any choice but to have to go with w7 or w8 at some point. I was surprised I didn't have more trouble, I was expecting the worse.

I have had some improvements, usually these are absorbed quickly and taken for granted, but some things are better than xp. Also the size of this computer is doing what I bought it for, which is handle my photo shop work. It is lightning fast when working with large image files. The RAW format can be almost a gig each, (times hundreds and thousands). XP was wait and delay, it was maddening. So it's things like that that I am happy with. I guess you find out siome day, you may not want to go back to xp since you don't do the video work I do etc.

Getting back to first page 2000, since it worked for months and then decided to crash all the time I decided to try it again and see if I could figure something out, and I did. It crashed when I used split view or preview. This is ms explorer by default, and I liked it that way so I could view with both browsers since I don't use W.E. Well I decided to use my ftp uploader to view the pages as I worked and it worked fine that way, no crashes; then it came to me that I could try to switch the default browser to firefox in 1st page and so I did and now it doesn't crash anymore.

So it appears to be a ms browser problem and not 1stpage. (knock on wood).

I do need updated drivers etc but I am reluctant to try that again since it crashed in ff so bad I had to do a  sys restore. But then that could make things worse, not better.
PostPosted: 09/08/2013 11:25 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
I know Dave, sometimes it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

So far XP does all I want of my PC but you're right one day I may have to upgrade to Win7.  And you are right that I don't do all that you do with videos and graphics.  I don't have any of those expensive high powered programs that you have either.

I'm glad you found a work around for 1st Page.  That's good news.  

Installing newer drivers can sometimes mess up the PC I'll grant you that.  Thank goodness for System Restore!

This is the thing, Dave, sometimes a manufacturer will discover a problem with their product after it's been  released and the only way they can correct it is to release new drivers for it.  Getting new drivers from the maker of the PC is one options but I would recommend going to the web site of who ever made the component.

For instance to get drivers for you graphic card I would go to the maker of the graphic card that is installed in your PC.  If you think you might need updated drivers for the mobo/chipset go to the site of the mobo maker.  You will have to know the exact model of the item.

Use Belarc to find the name and model numbers of the graphic card or mobo.

See next post

sunny
PostPosted: 09/08/2013 11:41 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Lets consider the mobo.  Belarc tell me this about my mobo ....(main circuit board)

I Googled: Drivers for X7DWA mobo and got this:

I clicked on Download the lastest drivers and utilities on the right of that image, you will have to plug in some info like the OS you're using and then which drivers you're look for (I select ALL)

Once you submit your info you will get a list of all Drivers and Utilities that are available.  The set up to getting your information will be different from mine but work the same way.

PostPosted: 09/08/2013 11:46 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Yes, it does take time and sometimes you will need to try more than once to find what you're looking for.  Just be sure it's the manufacturer web site you are on and not some 3rd party site.  My mobo is a Supermicro so I make sure I'm on the Supermicro site.

Now that I've confused you all that I can I have to shut down my PC because a thunderstorm is come up and I hear thunder and lightening strikes.  Don't want to kill my baby!  LOL

sunny
PostPosted: 10/01/2013 1:59 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
How is it going with the PC these days, Dave?

dontknow
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC