alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
[Solved] phpbb 2.0.18
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
Re: phpbb 2.0.18
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 2:11 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 7:15 PM
peace.gif
rb2d2xp wrote:
Quote:
I may skip this Update.

Can you do that, Blake?  Won't the next depend on this one?

No, it isn't wise to skip Updates, but there is no rule that says that you can't.  A lot of green admins think that they update their boards just by running the DB Update.  It says that it is updated, but the files are still their older version.  Some people just jump from one old version to the newest thinking it's like installing a Windows Service Pack.  It doesn't work that way though...

I could skip this update but I don't really want to.  So I will try to fight it and hopefully someday I will figure out why it hoses up the Test board so badly.  Since the Test board is nearly identical to the live board, this Update would have the same effect on the live board.  I'm not ready to kill the live board just yet...

rb2d2xp wrote:
They have several options, patches and stuff associated with that MOD, and did you scroll down to read that second post?

Yes, I've read all I can find about this Update.  Surprisingly, it still hasn't been added to the MOD Database.  That makes me think that they know this Update is a problem and they aren't quite prepared to deal with everyone's problems.  Usually these Updates are added to the MOD Database the same day they are announced.  I think it's been a week or so now since the announcement...

Brick wall
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 2:28 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
TieDyeQueen wrote:
If you check the preview box then you can look at each file and see what it'll do before it "mucks up" anything. If you don't get any errors you should be cool. AFAIK. Nightrider- that's right, isn't it?

You don't really have to hit the preview option.  EM won't "muck up" anything until you get to Step 3.  No files are modified until you get to that last step.  So if there is any error in Step 1, you can go back, modify the MOD file and try again and keep repeating that until EM can get through the whole MOD without any errors, at which point, you can continue to Steps 2 and 3...

After completing Step 3, you go test everything to see if it's still working.  If not, you download the MOD backups folder, remove the .txt extensions from each file, then upload them back to your server, overwriting the existing files.  That gets you back to where you were before installing the MOD or Update.  That's what I had to do with this Update and there were a lot of modified files, especially since I have 12 templates on this board.  It took me about 15 minutes to get the Test board back up and running again, which is a very long time for me...

TieDyeQueen wrote:
This was the only error that I had:
Code:
Critical Error
FIND FAILED: In file [templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl] could not find:
<textarea name="signature"style="width: 300px" rows="6" cols="30" class="post">{SIGNATURE}</textarea>

between "signature" and style there is no space in the find part. My board already had that corrected, so I just took that FIND/REPLACE out of the MOD and everything went smoothly!

I'm thrilled to hear that you were able to figure this out and get the 2.0.18 Update installed.  You've learned a lot TDQ...

I suspect the conflict on the Test board was with the M2F Utility, but since there was very little information to work with, it might be very difficult to figure out.  There was only one small error message that meant absolutely nothing...

Brick wall
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
phpbb 2.0.18
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 2:36 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 6:15 PM
usaCa.gif
Quote:
That makes me think that they know this Update is a problem and they aren't quite prepared to deal with everyone's problems.  Usually these Updates are added to the MOD Database the same day they are announced.  I think it's been a week or so now since the announcement...

Ok now your scaring me again  Shocked  should I attempt this update?  or not?  dontknow

Quote:
A lot of green admins think that they update their boards just by running the DB Update.

Embarassed I am a green admin, do you mean they just use the install file included in the update and then not install with em?
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
phpbb 2.0.18
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 2:40 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
Local time: 5:15 PM
peace.gif
I will send you good vibes and hope thast you can do it...Maybe if you take a break for a day, you can go back to it fresh...you know how it is when you see the files over and over again, and they all get mixed up in your head!
I just added the part about my error, in case someone else got the same one. My MODs are pretty common, I think, so whatever one corrected the space issue in mine can effect a lot of others' I'm guessin'.
I can't imagine having as many MODs as you do! I checked out your MOD page yesterday and it blew my mind!!
View user's profile Find all posts by TieDyeQueen Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 2:53 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Jaddon wrote:
Ok now your scaring me again  Shocked  should I attempt this update?  or not?  dontknow

Since you plan to backup all of your files and since you are using EM to install it, you have very little to worry about with this Update.  If this Update causes the same problems on your board as it did for my Test board, then you can restore the EM backups in a relatively short time.  Since you don't have 12 templates on your board, then you won't have to rename so many files in your backups folder if need be so you would be back up and running in less time than it took me.  Chances are, you won't need any of your backups and the 2.0.18 Update will work fine on your board.  I'm hoping for the best...

Jaddon wrote:
Embarassed I am a green admin, do you mean they just use the install file included in the update and then not install with em?

You're not nearly as green as some of them that I have seen.  Yes there are some who think that they are done once they run the DB Update.  They have no clue that the files need to be updated too.  I have seen that more often than you can possibly imagine...

Shocked
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 2:58 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
TieDyeQueen wrote:
I will send you good vibes and hope thast you can do it...Maybe if you take a break for a day, you can go back to it fresh...you know how it is when you see the files over and over again, and they all get mixed up in your head!

I had no problem with the files being mixed up or anything.  I successfully installed the Update on the Test board, but the board threw a blank page with only one line at the time referring to M2F.  It wasn't the typical error message and there was no clue what file caused the problem or what line to look at.  All that was there was the M2F name, which is one of the very nice utilities installed on this board which I use all the time.  Hopefully there will be some discussion about this in the M2F discussion.  I don't remember whether it came from phpBB or phpBBHacks.com though...

TieDyeQueen wrote:
I can't imagine having as many MODs as you do! I checked out your MOD page yesterday and it blew my mind!!

Yep, last time I checked, I had installed over 720 MODs into this community.  That was several months ago, so that number may be much higher now...

headbang
phpbb 2.0.18
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 3:15 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
Quote:
You're not nearly as green as some of them that I have seen.
 Well thats only because I have you helping me Mr. Green  - without your help and everything you have taught me - my board would be well it would not be lol
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
phpbb 2.0.18
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 6:04 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
the install went ok for me - I did not crash my board at least lol

But now when we post the post appears in the description and the description shows up as the post. the two are switched  dontknow
phpbb 2.0.18
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 8:34 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
Do you still have this problem Jaddon?  Now I'm confused whether your PM that you figured it out was before or after you found this problem???

dontknow
phpbb 2.0.18
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 10:57 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
I did figure it out Smile  took a while but I did.  After sending you the first pm a staff of mine figured out that the post and description was switched.  What we typed in the description would show up as the post, and what we typed in the post would show up as the description after submitting the post. crazy I know.  Shocked

Ya the second pm – my happy pm I sent to you after I fixed it!
headbang   Thanks to what you have taught me! Smile
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support