alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Do you have high speed internet?
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: Do you have high speed internet?
PostPosted: 10/30/2005 4:58 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Glenn I
Citation
Posts 2152
Word Cnt. 78,257
BDay Jun 15
Sign Gemini
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 11:13 AM
australC_1xa.gif
I'm on a 512k 10gb broadband plan. Got the first 6 months half price. Got two computers connected to it through a 4 port modem.
View user's profile Find all posts by Glenn I Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 10/30/2005 10:09 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 7:13 PM
texasC.gif
Quote:
The price of Verizon DSL has come down to $14.95 per month here.  That's cheaper than what I pay now for dial-up.  I would switch if it wasn't for the one year commitment...

Go for it, Blake!  You can't beat that price.  You would be actually saving money.

blob8
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 10/30/2005 2:54 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Local time: 9:13 PM
peace.gif
TieDyeQueen wrote:
I think you should have a web page with the computer services that you perform and you should charge money for them. You are good. People would pay!

I wouldn't even know how or where to start.  I've never been much of a businessman and I've never felt comfortable asking to be paid for any service.  I worked as a salaried programmer for years and it was nice not having to worry about the financial details of each task that I completed.  I really need an agent to take care of that stuff for me...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: Do you have high speed internet?
PostPosted: 10/30/2005 9:12 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Glenn I
Citation
Posts 2152
Word Cnt. 78,257
BDay Jun 15
Sign Gemini
Local time: 11:13 AM
australC_1xa.gif
Quote:
I wouldn't even know how or where to start.

Do what I did. Buy frontpage and learn from the beginning. It shouldn't take you long to figure it out.
View user's profile Find all posts by Glenn I Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 10/30/2005 10:03 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
peace.gif
HTMLKit is better, and it doesn't mess up php, CGI, or javascript codes. And it's FREE.....
I mostly just use it to check proper syntax in codes. I do almost all of my HTML from scratch with notepad. (or Wordpad if it's too large...)

But really, I would make you a couple of pages, if you want (free, of course). You just have to give me prices to list, and the text/bkg colors you want. You could go per hour or per MOD or whatever...And the PayPal account gives you a cut & paste button code, so it's simple. I know you like simple! Wink You could even get $ to do web graphics...
View user's profile Find all posts by TieDyeQueen Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: 11/01/2005 1:20 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
What do those things teach you how to do?  I know how to set up business software and I know how to create web pages, but I don't know how to market myself or how to deal with the uncomfortable part when it comes to asking for money for services rendered...

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 11/01/2005 8:34 AM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
peace.gif
Nightrider wrote:
but I don't know how to market myself or how to deal with the uncomfortable part when it comes to asking for money for services rendered...

That's why the prices would be listed on your page, then they already know the prices, and they order online. They wil already see the cost, so you don't have to tell tem. And to market yourself - one way is the same way you advertise this board, sig line. And there's an automated site submission program called AdaURL that you put your info into, select the engines that you wanna submit to and click...And you do it every other month to stay fresh...and of course you know about meta tags. I would put a link on my links page Smile I get a lot of hits...
View user's profile Find all posts by TieDyeQueen Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: 11/02/2005 2:29 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I don't even know what a reasonable price would be.  There is rarely a way to predict how long a job would take, so how do you give an estimate of how much it would cost?  If you charge by the hour, half hour, or quarter hour, what do you do if you devote a lot of time on a project and still don't solve it???

The phpBB Community isn't a great place to advertise.  They just removed my signature and avatar today.  It seems as if I was violating a silly rule about animated sigs and avatars.  I will never understand why the people in charge almost always tend to be so petty at times...

munky2
PostPosted: 11/02/2005 11:42 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
peace.gif
oh crap! i have an animated smilie in my sig there!

On the fee thing - what about only accepting gigs that you know you can do? and in an approximate amount of time.

You are obviously really good with PHP, so maybe you could offer to create web pages or sites that include PHP functionality?
I am just throwing things out here...
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 2:19 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I rarely know beforehand how easy a task will be.  Every problem is different.  I do not know php well at all, but I am getting to where I know phpBB pretty well.  I have yet to write a php program and I am a long ways away from doing so.  Every time I think I'm getting a better understanding of php, I find something that totally baffles me...

I wish I had a PHP developer's manual so I could learn some of the very basic building blocks that you need before you can really understand the language.  I am a Delphi programmer, not a PHP programmer.  There is a huge difference...

munky2
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC