alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Get going with Windows 8 Release Preview
Goto page: Previous  1, 2
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: Get going with Windows 8 Release Preview
PostPosted: 02/17/2013 7:50 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 6:53 AM
texasC.gif
Well after viewing that video fishead linked to I have absolutely no desire to try Win8.  I have messed with Win7 quite a bit and I think I could live with it if I had to.  But I don't think I would like it.

I bought a Vista OS desktop PC at a garage sale for a very good price, by waiting until the next day, and it is a LOT like Win7 so I'm working my way through it slowly but surely.  However not sure I could live with it on daily bases.  

If one were to just use a few standard programs, surf the internet and do email almost any OS would do.  I use the Control Panel and filing system (Explorer) a LOT, sometimes several times a day.  Especially the files.  Vista and Win7 screwed that up big time!  I could easily live with everything else but I hate the filing system with a purple passion.  

violent1
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/18/2013 9:38 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
Local time: 7:53 AM
usaCa.gif
RB if I saw that video before using win 8 I would be feeling the same way as you.  but the guy in that video is either clueless or greatly exaggerated about win 8.   There are no random pop ups as he describes in the video.  I did get a few ads come up but that also happens with any store bought comp.  When my dad first got his new come with xp there where ad pop ups on it.  

I use control panel alot to, it took me about 2mins to find control panel.  Its really not that hard to get to once you find it. lol  Its also easy to move your control panel to your start page.  Its easy to customize your start page.  Right click does work.

The start button has moved to a side panel and it instead of being a pop up list its now a whole page like in tablets or on your phone. Which gives you more room and control to put what you want.  Or you can think of it as a second desktop with all your shortcut icons so your main desktop stays clean which I did not like icons on my desktop.

He talks about closing pages I figured that out in only a couple of mins as well.

The file explore is easy to if its what your talking about, you can also pin each part of it to your start.  Like if you use the download file a lot you can pin it to start.  Pretty much can pin anything to the start page.

Last edited by Jaddon on 02/18/2013 10:47 AM; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/18/2013 10:22 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
Here is a pic of my start page, I am liking this start better then the old one although it did take a little to get out of the habit of clicking in the lower left corner for it. LOL  click on the pic to make it bigger so you can see it better.   Notice control panel and all the other cool tools I use often that now I have my start customized to my needs I can get to them easier then I could with past wins.

I am still learning win 8 only have had it for about 2 weeks now.  So far I am liking it alot.
View user's profile Find all posts by Jaddon Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/18/2013 1:25 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
I must say your positive view/description of Win8 makes it a bit more appealing.  Maybe I'm just stuck in a rut and want to stay there rather than relearn stuff when it's not yet necessary.  Like I said I've learned to like Win7 to an extent but still miss the ease of navigation I find in XP.  The file system I was referring to is Windows Explorer.  SS below.  I use it a LOT.  Maybe not every single day but several times a week.  I like the way I can open folders on several partitions and everything is still in view so I can copy/move from one partition to another with ease.

View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/26/2013 7:03 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:53 PM
usaCa.gif
I still have vista on my laptop and it works fine. But I have not changed my mind about it, it gave me heart problems I swear, from all the stress of trying to use it to do my work. It fought me at every turn. I only use the laptop for internet so it just appears to be ok. Thats why ms had all those ads about "I helped design w7", because they did hear about it from everyone, it is a broken os and can not be used to do any serious work. It destroyed my new pc in no time and I had to buy xp so I could do my viseo work.

After looking into buying a new pc, I checked things out about w7 and you can download a program or buyy the more advanced w7 to have a feature where it incorporates xp, so you can download older software without so much trouble. Now what does that tell you...? I trust what that guy says in that video because I have been there, as have so many businesses that got rid of vista and w8 sounds just like vista.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/26/2013 7:09 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
and it wasn't the pop up ads, it was the pop ups that made me read every word and answer before I could continue. If you just click ok anyway, it might delete all your files for you. It was things like returning my configurations right back to where they were, not letting me control my own computer. Just thinking about it makes me ill. It is not a work computer, its an internet computer.

Also - It was things like cloning any large files that are moved, can you imagine what happens when you are moving huge video files? The hd can run out of space and it will then fry the computer. Try turing that off and it turns itself back on and if you don't check, hd is full and black screen.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/26/2013 8:44 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Hummm, sounds like you've been there, done that and got the T shirt, Dave.  As much work as you do with videos and pictures you should know how well an OS works.  I believe you.  sunny

I must admit I've not done much work on the Vista I have except mostly internet stuff.  I got the PC at an estate sale for a very good price along with a box of stuff that was probably worth more than the PC was originally.  LOL  

I don't think anyone had used the PC at all for two or more years, it had about 80 or 90 Windows Updates waiting to be installed.  I installed a few programs, malware scanners, Gadwin, Thunderbird, Firefox, etc. and all work fine.  I've looked around some, changed some settings, ran some tests, disabled some features ..... but couldn't tell you where to find anything yet.  My biggest gripe is Windows Explorer.

I have an install of Windows 7 that I've messed around with when I was bored and had nothing else to do.  It's a bit more user friendly then Vista and I think if I was forced to use it I could manage.  

Thanks for all the feedback on your experience, Dave.  That could prove to be useful.  

sunny
PostPosted: 02/27/2013 10:06 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Jaddon
Citation
Posts 3160
Word Cnt. 157,169
BDay Mar 11
Sign Pisces
usaCa.gif
I have never tried Vista I went from XP to win 8.  I have tried win 7 a little its what my boyfriend has on his laptop.

RB win 8 does have file explorer its one click to get to. Its icon is right on the start page see pic in last post you will see it.  You can also pin it to the bottom task bar for easy access when on your desktop.  I dont have as much on my comp as you do yet anyway since I have only had it a few weeks but here is a pic of it.

My daughter just bought a laptop its also has win 8 while helping her I noticed that hers has some differences from mine.  Her laptop is Asus mine is Acer so depending on the brand you buy it will be set up with different apps and options.  For example mine has a button to shut  down that you can pin to your start page or where ever you want hers does not have it.  I am wondering what brand the man was using on the video maybe that brand adds more popups to theirs.
PostPosted: 02/27/2013 1:15 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Maybe after adding all my partitions I could get a bit more comfortable with Windows Explorer in Win8.  I have 8 partitions over 2 HDDs.  

Also I've changed some things from the original setup.  Since I want to keep my OS partition as small as possible (for backup, restore and defrag reason) I've moved the two usually largest folders, Downloads and My Documents, to different partitions.  Downloads doesn't matter but you can't just "move" the My Documents folder to another partition.  You have to do a certain way and there are instructions on the internet for that.

Should the OS become corrupted or go South for some reason and I don't have a recent backup I can just reinstall the OS on it's partition and all my other stuff is still safe on the other partitions.  

However I'm sure there are plenty of people that will tell you regardless of how careful you are with backups and safe guards there are still ways to lose everything.  LOL

occasion9
PostPosted: 03/15/2013 8:21 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I talked to a guy who works on computers and he told me that vista was thrown together while win 7 was being put together. He likes w7 and says its much better than xp. He also said w8 is bad like vista.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC