alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Watching video and pc crashed
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: Watching video and pc crashed
PostPosted: 03/26/2012 10:35 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 8:29 AM
texasC.gif
Dave, just read all your posts.  To be honest I don't have a clue to what is going on or what you are doing.  Sorry.  If there are files on that HDD you want to save you better save them now.

It sounds horrendous, have problems been piling up for quite some time? From what little I can understand it does sound like a HDD problem but if it was I think it would have died completely by now.  I don't think it's malware.

What do you mean Acronis disk won't work?  If you put it in the DVD tray and reboot the machine what happens?  

If the PC will boot up with the Acronis True Image disk and ATI sees the HDD then ATI can format the HDD.  Sometimes you have to give Acronis a lot of time to show up on the screen after rebooting.  Maybe even 10 minutes.

wave
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/26/2012 10:40 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Dave I don't understand what you were saying about Acronis.  Did you sometime in the past create an Image of your HDD or the C partition using True Image and you would now like to restore that Image?

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/27/2012 7:32 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 10:29 PM
usaCa.gif
I have been taking notes so I can remember. The acronis opens fine, and I was watching a how to video as I was going but mine went in a different direction, I wasn't seeing the same options as the video when I was in there a ways. But thats how its going, everything is not working properly. I just did a quick summery:

-------------------------

Basically what is happeneding is the pc reboots after its open for 3-10 minutes. I can't open anything, its like it opens part way and then it never opens again. The pc either freezes up or reboots on its own. It won't let me open avg but I can still get a scan started but it reboots after a few minutes. Here is what has happened:

pc crashed while watching a video
rebooted and it ran a chkdsk (its runs this about every other boot)
couldn't open firefox, can't open IE
couldn't uninstall firefox, says it's open
ran a system scan, at about 21% it rebooted
reboot, scan, rebooted at 20% or so
can't open avg
reboot, get windows auto update...?
no matter what I do it reboots after a few minutes or freezes up
try to use sys restore, reboots, same thing, didn't help
try to do a recovery, won't work
try a repair, get error messages, won't complete
reformat, reboots to original windows
reformat, gets stuck at the last minute, hard boot, opens old windows.
Look in drive j, 2nd HD, and there is windows in there
avg is updating

I am thinking the hd is bad. I really could use a larger one anyway, this is only 300 gig. I really hate to buy right now because prices are up.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 03/27/2012 8:32 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Western Digital® Caviar® Black™ 1TB SATA Desktop Hard Drive

1TB storage capacity
   3.5" Hard Drive for desktop PC and Mac® computers
   Serial ATA (SATA) 3Gb/s interface
   Dual processor to maximize performance

$99.99

This is the best deal I have found so far, at staples so no shipping.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 03/27/2012 10:38 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I tried unplugging the secong HD so I would know whats going on and reformat failed, it picked up toward the end. Gave lots of error code I wrote down.

I unplugged the main hd (which I see is ied, and 2nd hd is sata) and plugged the second one back in and rebooted.

Windows opened, my old os with all my files and everything was saved. It isn't crashing, although it wouldn't find driver for the cd drive I replaced.

So it does look like its the HD. I don't see where I can use another sata so I may have to go with pata like the original is. It even has wiring for 2nd hd with the ied, I don't know why I thought I needed sata other than there was a hookup, so I had bought the wires to use it.

So I am looking at getting a new HD and then figuring out how to get my original set up onto the new HD. I did take notes so many I can retrace what I did. I think it was the repair or something.
PostPosted: 03/27/2012 10:56 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
I had just typed a large post for you when in the meantime you posted again.  I was wondering about those two copies of Windows and was going to suggest you unplug the first HDD and see if it would boot from the second one.

If you can find a ATA/IDE HDD that would be good if you intend to ever install XP on there.  It's might be next to impossible to install XP on a SATA HDD.

sunny
PostPosted: 03/27/2012 11:32 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Code:
So I am looking at getting a new HD and then figuring out how to get my original set up onto the new HD.

Dave, why not just use that SATA HDD with working Windows as your main one?  SATA works a lot faster then ATA.  You can use the new one to store your videos and other large files.  

sunny
PostPosted: 03/27/2012 12:30 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I disconnected the main hd and using the smaller one. At first it worked ok but now its doing the exact same thing. I can't do a virus scan, it reboots soon after it starts. Looking on line I see talk about ram card and I did put one in recently, but I doubt thats it. I don't think its the hd after all.

It won't let me reformat, it just wants to die and be junked I guess. Its over my head. I may have to hire someone or just get a new pc. It seems beyond repair.
PostPosted: 03/27/2012 12:47 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I pulled that new ram card and now running a scan, and its got further than it has before, no reboot yet.
PostPosted: 03/27/2012 12:59 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
As far as the sata, why would hp have the hd on ied when it could have used sata plug that is handy...?

also:
how-to-diagnose-bad-ram
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC