alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
reformating vista and having problems
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: reformating vista and having problems
PostPosted: 02/11/2012 7:54 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 6:10 AM
texasC.gif
Quote:
I got an email from smart ftp client wanting me to update, and when I did it turned into a 30 day trial,

Yep, has happened to me!  The renewal was only $17 dollars but still....... like you I would like to be warned that my maintenance time has expired and I would have to pay to renew the license if I installed the update.  

I learned where to find out exactly what day my maintenance expires and when I reach that date I just won't update anymore.  Open Smart FTP, click on Help at the top and then click About.  It gives you info on how long you have been using SMTP and when the maintenance expires. In my case it's Nov. 8, 2012

View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/13/2012 5:37 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:10 PM
usaCa.gif
I did see my expiration date, it was 2013... too many people sitting around trying to figure out ways to screw people out of a buck. And how do you like the new ads, gigantic and self collapsing after you are totally annoyed and don't know weather to scroll up or down.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/13/2012 10:30 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
I sure can't explain what SFTP did to you but the guy does have a forum where you can post your questions.  

https://www.smartftp.com/forums/

And sometimes you even get an answer. LOL  I'm joking he always gives an answer.  As far as I can see you should be entitled to updates until 2013.  Might you have installed the update into a different folder from the original one?  I got an update recently and was not asked for a registration number.  The version I have right now is 4.0.1234.0

Ads?  You mean the ones found all over the Net on just about every page you open???!  The worst ones are the ones that cover most of the page and have no X to shut them down, you have to wait until they disappear on their own.  I hate them!  How can they think they will sell you something by being so obnoxious?

violent1
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/15/2012 3:21 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Yes all over the web. I just saw one, I was checking a site and before I even read one sentence an ad popped up covering most of the page and was taking too long to load so I just left. How stupid, I bet they they drive half their traffic away. Our local paper is one of the worst sites with huge ads that interfere with your visit and the pages all take forever to load.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/15/2012 6:13 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
covering most of the page and was taking too long to load so I just left.

Me too!  I do that a lot.  Advertizing on web pages has gotten WAY out of control.  Like you said they cover most of the page, make the page load slow and often don't have an x in the corner to shut them down you just have to wait for it to leave on it's own. Do they really think they can sell you something by annoying the hell out of you??

Still enjoying W7, I think I have 25 days left before I HAVE to validate it.  Even though that SoftPedia site says the install is good for 90 days I don't think that's true because MS says you only have 30 days before you're required to validate and since I don't have a Key to punch in I think that will be the end of it.  

I may be asking you for help with Win7, it sure is different from XP.

Shocked
PostPosted: 02/20/2012 6:31 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I really didn't check out win7, other than a few minutes when I had it on. It was so basic, it didn't have much in it, unlike vista which is loaded with crap. I used youtube videos to help me make it run faster, there is a lot you can turn off from starting up. I don't know how much win7 has but if it is as fast as I thought there isn't the need to shut things off. One thing I always hated about vista is the shadow copy, every time you move a big file it makes a shadow copy. Imagine how good that works with large video folders.... it can crash a pc so bad it has to have a sys recovery.
PostPosted: 02/20/2012 10:14 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
One thing I always hated about vista is the shadow copy, every time you move a big file it makes a shadow copy.

That sounds like a show stopper!  That can't be shut off?  Win7 doesn't seem to have a lot of crap.  Looks like it has a lot of useful tips and tools.  Like I said I'm not ready to trade in my XP yet but I think I could learn to like Win7 a lot.  My only gripe is the way Windows Explorer is now arranged but I think I could get used to that also.  Turns out there are a lot of changes you can make so it looks a lot like XP.

You know what Dave, I think you could load Win7 on a spare HDD and use it up to 30 days without having to validate it.  Just keep putting them off until the time is up then take if off.  Better yet get a copy off that Softpedia site.  They have all kinds of version.  I have Ultimate but after looking at the comparison chart I see that it doesn't have anything more then the Pro version that I would use.  If you purchase a copy of Win7 I think Ultimate costs about $50 more than the Pro and I don't see anything about it that's worth that much.  LOL

sunny
PostPosted: 02/24/2012 7:57 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Quote:
That can't be shut off?

It can be turned off but it's hard to find and sometimes it turns itself back on. That's how vista works.

I have a legal copy of windows 7, it came with my toshiba laptop. That was around the time they figured out that vista was a broken os so the pcs with vista were already on there so I was offered to buy the win7 to install later. I can either upgrade and save a lot of the software that came with vista, or I can just install the win7 complete version. I heard upgrading is no easy task, it takes a lot of time, that's why I haven't done it. If I add win7 complete version, I would need all new drivers etc. and that can also be a pain. I could just load it as a second os and use it to check it out.
PostPosted: 02/24/2012 9:36 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Well Win7 isn't exactly a bed of roses it seems.  I started getting some show stopper errors on bootup about a program not starting and that Windows encountered a problem with a program and would notify me when a solution was found.  And  when I clicked on any icon it said Windows Explore had shut down and needs to be restarted, everything was soooooo slow.   I looked for a solution on line, seems a lot of people were experiencing this same type problem, and found a lot of solutions none of which worked for me nor most any of the posters.

I finally realized AVG was no longer in system tray and couldn't be launched.   I uninstalled AVG and everything was back to perfect!  Everything worked and boot up was super fast.  Then I started getting a notice from Windows that I needed to have a virus scanner installed and running.  Among their offerings was Avast! so I chose that having had it before and liked it.  It downloaded started installing, it got almost to the very end of the progress bar, stopped in it's tracks and then said the Avast update couldn't complete, the program would close and that's just what it did.  Got a note saying Window encountered a problem with the program and Window would let me know when there was solution.  So far I haven't heard from Windows. LOL

It still wants me to install a virus scanner and I'm sure that warning will be there until I do but since it appears there is no way to install a virus scanner I can't comply.  Everything on the PC works great except it won't install a virus scanner for some reason.  I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that's causing this but I don't have a clue.

dontknow
PostPosted: 02/27/2012 7:18 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Well thanks for letting me know, maybe I won't install it. I read where there were quite a few problems with it. I checked your problem and saw where others have the same problem and they are using 64 bit. I didn't see any resolution to fix it. So windows is still selling a broken os.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC