alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
reformating vista and having problems
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Re: reformating vista and having problems
PostPosted: 02/05/2012 9:53 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:19 PM
usaCa.gif
I decided to order new recovery disc from hp. I don't know why the disc I made won't work anymore, but thats vista for you. It cost me $16. I think I will keep this laptop and not sell it. If I can get it going, it will make a good backup as planned, thats the only way I can justify having so much money invested in this thing, it will save me from having to buy a new laptop some day.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/05/2012 10:37 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 6:19 AM
texasC.gif
Quote:
I think I will keep this laptop and not sell it. If I can get it going, it will make a good backup as planned

Sounds like a smart move to me.  

I hope the disk you ordered works for you.  On the one forum a guys says he did order the disk and it didn't work either.  Near as I can figure out with most of those problems there seems to be a missing file.

It shouldn't be this hard to recover the system!!  Especially if it's been done before with no problem.  I don't know if MS programs these bugs into the OS or some files just get corrupted by accident but certain problems seem to effect an awful lot of people/computers the very same way.  

I imagine most people never post about their PC problems, just throw the computer away and get another one.  I'm like a dog with a bone and will work on a problem until either I or the PC falls apart.  LOL  Usually I'm successful in finding a solution.  Even if it takes unteen hours.

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/05/2012 2:15 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Ya I agree, something seems fishy that so many people have problems. The win7 loaded no problem at all. That disc is clean and looks new, I can't find any info on how recovery discs can become corrupted, it just doesn't add up, it must be something programmed into vista. I'll let you know if the disc works that hp is sending.

I tried it again and get the same result, same error and then I get the boot error. Its like ms was mad at people and they wanted to declare war and going to teach everyone a lesson with vista.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 02/05/2012 4:33 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Dave, I take it you are using your recovery CD to format your HDD.  

Do you have a separate program on a CD that will partition and format your HDD? Maybe your recovery disk is leaving something behind that is interfering with the setup?

If you no longer have an operating system on you HDD try this free program to partition and format your HDD drive and then try to install Vista again.

EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition

sunny
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/05/2012 5:25 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Might be worth your while to check out the hardware?  The fault may even be the HDD itself.  Read through this article.

BOOTMGR is Missing Error Resolution

dontknow
PostPosted: 02/10/2012 1:38 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Rb, the hd was still partitioned, but wouldn't let me access, it was just stuck. Anyway:

I got my vista disc from HP, it came as 2 DVDs (instead of the one that I had made myself as suggested when I bought it). It did load ok, so the laptop is running again, actually it is still loading crap. It took about 2 hours and counting vs windows 7 only taking a few minutes to load. It loads a whole bunch of crap I don't need or want.

This version of vista is worse than the later version on my newer laptop, it seems.

Now I am wanting to upgrade the newer laptop to windows 7, but I really just don't use the laptops except to go online sometimes.

One other note, I did reformat with the disc I made and had no problem, there is no reason I shouldn't have been able to use it twice. No reason what ever.
PostPosted: 02/10/2012 2:40 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Glad you got it resolved, Dave.  Now you have another computer to use.  Hang on to those recovery disks!

sunny
PostPosted: 02/11/2012 4:14 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
That ended up being an all day job. It took about 4 1/2 hours just to download vista, then a few more hours to uninstall all the junk and configure things.

I don't know why it wouldn't load that recovery partition, but that's vista for you, nothing works like its supposed to.

I'll put this one away and when the other laptop konks out I will get this out again. Its ok for just the internet.
PostPosted: 02/11/2012 5:00 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
I downloaded, burned boot disk and installed what is suppose to be a 90 trial of Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-7-Download-118183.html

You know what, I could get used to this OS.  I'm getting attached to it.  LOL  Not sure I could create all the tool bars in the task bar like I have on WinXP though, I would really miss that.  Still learning but it's beginning to make more and more sense.  Too bad MS even came out with Vista.  They should have returned everyone's money or gave them to option to exchange the license for a Win7.  

However, about the 90 trial, I'm really not sure about that.   When I installed it I had the option to bypass the registration number and later was told it would automatically validate in three days. Today I got the first notice to validate and I chose "Later".  But it does say It has to be validated in 27 days.   Since I don't have a key that will probably be the end of the Trial.

Crying or Very sad
PostPosted: 02/11/2012 5:55 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I was liking win7 too, and may install my copy on my laptop. I may just download the os instead of upgrading and just check it out for awhile.

I got an email from smart ftp client wanting me to update, and when I did it turned into a 30 day trial, but I am good through 2013 so I knew something was fishy. Today it ran out of time and wanted me to buy and wouldn't except my product key. I finally retrieved an old email and was able to get my paid version back. They are sneaky trying to get money out of people.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC