 | [Solved] Installing phpBB |  |
Posted: 05/29/2007 8:51 AM |
|
|
|
|
|
| Citation |
| Posts |
1253 |
| Word Cnt. |
68,166 |
| BDay |
Nov 9 |
| Sign |
Scorpio |
| Sex |
 |
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:55 AM
|

|
|
|
|
 |
I'm starting another site and I can't believe I am again having trouble with the install. I filled out the required fields but I get 'cannot connect to database'
Why can't I do this??  |
|
Last edited by Karen on 05/30/2007 6:15 AM; edited 1 time in total |
|
 |
 |
| Back to Top |
|
|
 | Re: [Solved] Installing phpBB |  |
Posted: 05/29/2007 10:17 AM |
|
|
|
|
|
| Caravan |
| Posts |
282 |
| Word Cnt. |
31,380 |
| BDay |
Apr 14 |
| Sign |
Aries |
| Sex |
 |
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 01, 2006
Local time: 3:55 AM
Location: Denver, PA
|

|
|
|
|
 |
It can be a little tough sometimes. I installed a test phpBB3 the other day and it took me awhile to get the settings correct.
Have you created the database? Then created a user and gave that user all privileges in the new database? |
|
|
 |
 |
| Back to Top |
|
|
 | Re: Installing phpBB |  |
Posted: 05/29/2007 11:28 AM |
|
|
|
|
|
| Citation |
| Posts |
1253 |
| Word Cnt. |
68,166 |
| BDay |
Nov 9 |
| Sign |
Scorpio |
| Sex |
 |
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:55 AM
|

|
|
|
|
 |
I created a new user just in case, I've tried different server port numbers too.
If I select MySQL 3.x I get the plain message, if I select the 4.x/5.x I also get errors Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
I'm glad you have trouble too iyswim...I'm beginning to feel like I can't do anything right with my sites anymore  |
|
|
 |
 |
| Back to Top |
|
|
 | Re: Installing phpBB |  |
Posted: 05/30/2007 6:01 AM |
|
|
|
|
|
| Citation |
| Posts |
1253 |
| Word Cnt. |
68,166 |
| BDay |
Nov 9 |
| Sign |
Scorpio |
| Sex |
 |
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:55 AM
|

|
|
|
|
 |
Still having trouble
I use the IP addy for the Database Server Hostname / DSN: and it went to a page telling me about FTP'ing my config file or downloading it, so I chose to try FTP'ing it and then I got this message
| Quote:
|
|
Your admin username has been created. At this point your basic installation is complete. You will now be taken to a screen which will allow you to administer your new installation. Please be sure to check the General Configuration details and make any required changes. Thank you for choosing phpBB 2.
|
but when I click 'Finish Installation' I get the install page again. I tried that again and I got an error message about a table being filled in already (can't remeber what it said now )
I just looked at my database and I have 30 tables there, but where do I access the actual board files?  |
|
|
 |
 |
| Back to Top |
|
|
 | Re: Installing phpBB |  |
Posted: 05/30/2007 6:14 AM |
|
|
|
|
|
| Citation |
| Posts |
1253 |
| Word Cnt. |
68,166 |
| BDay |
Nov 9 |
| Sign |
Scorpio |
| Sex |
 |
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:55 AM
|

|
|
|
|
 |
Ahh sorted it now  |
|
|
 |
 |
| Back to Top |
|
|
 | Re: [Solved] Installing phpBB |  |
Posted: 05/31/2007 3:06 PM |
|
|
|
|
|
| Site Admin |
| Posts |
30757 |
| Word Cnt. |
2,628,690 |
| BDay |
Jul 28 |
| Sign |
Leo |
| Sex |
 |
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 3:55 AM
Location: St Pete, FL
|

|
|
|
|
 |
The easiest thing to do on a new install is to set the permissions on the config.php file to 777. Then after completing the install, set the permissions back to 644 or else anyone can read how to connect to your database and the hackers could do a lot of damage. Then the next step would be to delete the install and contrib folders, as you disovered...
You should choose the MySql 4-5 option too since MySql 3 is a very old version...
 |
|
|
 |
 |
| Back to Top |
|
|
 | Re: [Solved] Installing phpBB |  |
Posted: 05/31/2007 3:14 PM |
|
|
|
|
|
| Citation |
| Posts |
1253 |
| Word Cnt. |
68,166 |
| BDay |
Nov 9 |
| Sign |
Scorpio |
| Sex |
 |
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:55 AM
|

|
|
|
|
 |
| Nightrider wrote:
|
The easiest thing to do on a new install is to set the permissions on the config.php file to 777. Then after completing the install, set the permissions back to 644 or else anyone can read how to connect to your database and the hackers could do a lot of damage. Then the next step would be to delete the install and contrib folders, as you disovered...
You should choose the MySql 4-5 option too since MySql 3 is a very old version...
|
Ah I never looked to see the settings  |
|
|
 |
 |
| Back to Top |
|
|
 | Re: [Solved] Installing phpBB |  |
Posted: 05/31/2007 4:12 PM |
|
|
|
|
|
| Site Admin |
| Posts |
30757 |
| Word Cnt. |
2,628,690 |
| BDay |
Jul 28 |
| Sign |
Leo |
| Sex |
 |
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 3:55 AM
Location: St Pete, FL
|

|
|
|
|
 |
I'm not surprised. That's not a blatantly obvious thing to do, so I imagine that most people fail to do it before attempting the board install. I bet if you install another forum in the future, you might remember to do it. It's all part of the learning curve...
 |
|
|
 |
 |
| Back to Top |
|
|
 | Information |  |
|