Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index
alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
[Solved] Installing phpBB
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
[Solved] Installing phpBB
PostPosted: 05/29/2007 8:51 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Karen
Citation
Posts 1253
Word Cnt. 68,166
BDay Nov 9
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:54 AM
greatbrE.gif
I'm starting another site and I can't believe I am again having trouble with the install. I filled out the required fields but I get 'cannot connect to database'  Brick wall
Why can't I do this??  Brick wall  Embarassed


Last edited by Karen on 05/30/2007 6:15 AM; edited 1 time in total
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by Karen Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: [Solved] Installing phpBB
PostPosted: 05/29/2007 10:17 AM Reply with quote
Caravan
FTM
Caravan
Posts 282
Word Cnt. 31,380
BDay Apr 14
Sign Aries
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Nov 01, 2006
Local time: 3:54 AM
Location: Denver, PA
usaCa.gif
It can be a little tough sometimes. I installed a test phpBB3 the other day and it took me awhile to get the settings correct.  Embarassed

Have you created the database? Then created a user and gave that user all privileges in the new database?
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by FTM Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Re: Installing phpBB
PostPosted: 05/29/2007 11:28 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Karen
Citation
Posts 1253
Word Cnt. 68,166
BDay Nov 9
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:54 AM
greatbrE.gif
I created a new user just in case, I've tried different server port numbers too.  dontknow
If I select MySQL 3.x I get the plain message, if I select the 4.x/5.x I also get errors Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I'm glad you have trouble too iyswim...I'm beginning to feel like I can't do anything right with my sites anymore Sad
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by Karen Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: Installing phpBB
PostPosted: 05/30/2007 6:01 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Karen
Citation
Posts 1253
Word Cnt. 68,166
BDay Nov 9
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:54 AM
greatbrE.gif
Still having trouble  Brick wall

I use the IP addy for the Database Server Hostname / DSN:  and it went to a page telling me about FTP'ing my config file or downloading it, so I chose to try FTP'ing it and then I got this message
Quote:
Your admin username has been created. At this point your basic installation is complete. You will now be taken to a screen which will allow you to administer your new installation. Please be sure to check the General Configuration details and make any required changes. Thank you for choosing phpBB 2.
but when I click 'Finish Installation' I get the install page again. I tried that again and I got an error message about a table being filled in already (can't remeber what it said now  Embarassed )

I just looked at my database and I have 30 tables there, but where do I access the actual board files?  dontknow
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by Karen Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: Installing phpBB
PostPosted: 05/30/2007 6:14 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Karen
Citation
Posts 1253
Word Cnt. 68,166
BDay Nov 9
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:54 AM
greatbrE.gif
Ahh sorted it now  headbang
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by Karen Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: [Solved] Installing phpBB
PostPosted: 05/31/2007 3:06 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30757
Word Cnt. 2,628,690
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 3:54 AM
Location: St Pete, FL
peace.gif
The easiest thing to do on a new install is to set the permissions on the config.php file to 777.  Then after completing the install, set the permissions back to 644 or else anyone can read how to connect to your database and the hackers could do a lot of damage.  Then the next step would be to delete the install and contrib folders, as you disovered...

You should choose the MySql 4-5 option too since MySql 3 is a very old version...

banana
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: [Solved] Installing phpBB
PostPosted: 05/31/2007 3:14 PM Reply with quote
Citation
Karen
Citation
Posts 1253
Word Cnt. 68,166
BDay Nov 9
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 7:54 AM
greatbrE.gif
Nightrider wrote:
The easiest thing to do on a new install is to set the permissions on the config.php file to 777.  Then after completing the install, set the permissions back to 644 or else anyone can read how to connect to your database and the hackers could do a lot of damage.  Then the next step would be to delete the install and contrib folders, as you disovered...

You should choose the MySql 4-5 option too since MySql 3 is a very old version...

banana


Ah I never looked to see the settings  Embarassed
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by Karen Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Re: [Solved] Installing phpBB
PostPosted: 05/31/2007 4:12 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30757
Word Cnt. 2,628,690
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 3:54 AM
Location: St Pete, FL
peace.gif
I'm not surprised.  That's not a blatantly obvious thing to do, so I imagine that most people fail to do it before attempting the board install.  I bet if you install another forum in the future, you might remember to do it.  It's all part of the learning curve...

headbang
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
 Post new topic  Reply to topic
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1


Add To Bookmarks

 
  
  


  Google

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Page generation time: 0.0672s (PHP: 70% - SQL: 30%) - SQL queries: 51 - GZIP disabled - Debug on