Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index
alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
DNS Stuff and Guest Posting
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support Add To Bookmarks
DNS Stuff and Guest Posting
PostPosted: 05/28/2007 9:50 AM Reply with quote
Citation
KeeKee
Citation
Posts 940
Word Cnt. 48,215
BDay Mar 4
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Mar 20, 2006
Local time: 3:13 AM
usaCa.gif
When I went on the kitchen board this morning I saw in admin who's online that several forums were being viewed (by guest) the ip was the same for all.

I clicked on the IP and it goes to the trace site but when you do the whois you really just get servers I don't understand how you could check out a person doing this    once I did see google so knew it was their bot.

I also noticed that under forum location it said "posting a message" well I don't allow guest to post on any forum so is this a bot trying to post and the system just kicks it out or doesn't except it?

in the last 2 minutes it shows logging on viewing profile, viewing memberlist, posting message etc it's all over the board.
I thought maybe it was the other admin but she is not answering PM.

I'M SOOO CONFUSED !!!!!

38.99.13.117

OrgName:    Performance Systems International Inc.
OrgID:      PSI
Address:    1015 31st St NW
City:       Washington
StateProv:  DC
PostalCode: 20007
Country:    US

NetRange:   38.0.0.0 - 38.255.255.255
CIDR:       38.0.0.0/8
NetName:    PSINETA
NetHandle:  NET-38-0-0-0-1
Parent:    
NetType:    Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS.PSI.NET
NameServer: NS2.PSI.NET
Comment:    Reassignment information for this block can be found at
Comment:    rwhois.cogentco.com 4321
RegDate:    1991-04-16
Updated:    2005-10-05
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by KeeKee Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: DNS Stuff and Guest Posting
PostPosted: 05/28/2007 11:12 AM Reply with quote
Caravan
FTM
Caravan
Posts 282
Word Cnt. 31,380
BDay Apr 14
Sign Aries
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Nov 01, 2006
Local time: 4:13 AM
Location: Denver, PA
usaCa.gif
Hmm, I don't think I have ever seen that kind of bot.

I get the google and other bots just like you said. Next time you want to look up an ip, try this site. This is what I use and it's much more user friendly for what you are trying to look up.

http://www.maxmind.com/app/lookup_city

When it shows the guest (bot) to be logging on, posting a message, viewing profile, even sometimes looking at forums that you have closed down to people that don't have a certain amount of posts. All that really is happening is the computer bot is clicking on the links. That's what they do, go through pages upon pages clicking on all the links of your sites pages. Since you have a post reply button numerous places on the forum, the bot is going to be clicking on it, and when they do all the get is the log in screen, or whatever screen comes up if you click on something you can't see as a guest. Even though phpBB shows (sometimes tons) of guests as logging in, viewing profiles, ect. they are not actually accomplishing it. I'm not sure why it sometimes shows so many at one time. I just kind of assumed it was because the bot is going much faster than phpBB is refreshing or whatever it's called, so that's why it shows them in so many places at one time.

So i think that's pretty much how it works, I am still pretty new to this stuff as well so this is just how I think it all works. I am still very curious to hear nightrider and everyone else thoughts on this as I could be wrong on some things.
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by FTM Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Re: DNS Stuff and Guest Posting
PostPosted: 05/28/2007 3:28 PM Reply with quote
Citation
KeeKee
Citation
Posts 940
Word Cnt. 48,215
BDay Mar 4
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Mar 20, 2006
Local time: 3:13 AM
usaCa.gif
Well at least that makes sence to me.  Then whoever this "Performance Systems International" is they have been on the board for a long time today.

I checked one other IP and it came up as MSN according to the link FTM gave me.

BTW thanks for the link FTM.
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by KeeKee Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: DNS Stuff and Guest Posting
PostPosted: 05/29/2007 2:24 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30757
Word Cnt. 2,628,690
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Joined: Sep 25, 2004
Local time: 4:13 AM
Location: St Pete, FL
peace.gif
FTM wrote:
I am still very curious to hear nightrider and everyone else thoughts on this as I could be wrong on some things.

I think you explained it better than I could have.  I'm no expert on this topic either so everything you stated makes perfect sense to me...

Applause
Back to Top
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: DNS Stuff and Guest Posting
PostPosted: 05/29/2007 10:01 AM Reply with quote
Caravan
FTM
Caravan
Posts 282
Word Cnt. 31,380
BDay Apr 14
Sign Aries
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Nov 01, 2006
Local time: 4:13 AM
Location: Denver, PA
usaCa.gif
Oh cool!  headbang  Your very welcome for the Link KeeKee.  Heart
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by FTM Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Re: DNS Stuff and Guest Posting
PostPosted: 05/29/2007 10:10 AM Reply with quote
Citation
Karen
Citation
Posts 1253
Word Cnt. 68,166
BDay Nov 9
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Female
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Local time: 8:13 AM
greatbrE.gif
FTM wrote:
Hmm, I don't think I have ever seen that kind of bot.

I get the google and other bots just like you said. Next time you want to look up an ip, try this site. This is what I use and it's much more user friendly for what you are trying to look up.

http://www.maxmind.com/app/lookup_city

When it shows the guest (bot) to be logging on, posting a message, viewing profile, even sometimes looking at forums that you have closed down to people that don't have a certain amount of posts. All that really is happening is the computer bot is clicking on the links. That's what they do, go through pages upon pages clicking on all the links of your sites pages. Since you have a post reply button numerous places on the forum, the bot is going to be clicking on it, and when they do all the get is the log in screen, or whatever screen comes up if you click on something you can't see as a guest. Even though phpBB shows (sometimes tons) of guests as logging in, viewing profiles, ect. they are not actually accomplishing it. I'm not sure why it sometimes shows so many at one time. I just kind of assumed it was because the bot is going much faster than phpBB is refreshing or whatever it's called, so that's why it shows them in so many places at one time.

So i think that's pretty much how it works, I am still pretty new to this stuff as well so this is just how I think it all works. I am still very curious to hear nightrider and everyone else thoughts on this as I could be wrong on some things.


Ditto  headbang I know my members used to get quite worried seeing all these guests viewing closed areas but eventually they understood about Bots.  flower
Back to Top
View user's profile Find all posts by Karen Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
 Post new topic  Reply to topic
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Area 51 - phpBB & Easymod Tech Support

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1


Add To Bookmarks

 
  
  


  Google

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Page generation time: 0.0698s (PHP: 71% - SQL: 29%) - SQL queries: 45 - GZIP disabled - Debug on