alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Haphazard marking as read
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Bugs/Suggestions/Comments Add To Bookmarks
Haphazard marking as read
PostPosted: 02/24/2005 4:41 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 5:22 AM
blank.gif
Some threads are being marked as read when I return to the forum list, some aren't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason which ones get marked and which don't, some I've posted in and some I haven't.

I noticed a couple other changes. The note at the bottom of the page, showing how long it took to generate the page, and what percentage was the forum software and what the database search, is an interesting item.

After posting a message, the page to choose to return to forum list or view message is gone. I have no real preference on that, just noticed it's gone.
Re: Haphazard marking as read
PostPosted: 02/25/2005 12:00 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Local time: 4:22 AM
texasC.gif
I noticed that read and unread markings are out of whack also.  And like you say there is no no rhyme or reason to it

Also after posting you are returned to the thread you posted in without being asked.

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 02/25/2005 1:26 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 6:22 AM
peace.gif
It's probably going to be difficult, if not impossible, for me to figure out why there is a inconsistency in the thread marking functionality.  I think Catmando noticed the same thing early on, so this problem may have been with us right from the beginning.  Hopefully when phpBB version 3 is released, these problems will disappear...

I added a MOD to monitor Page generation times.  I would like to figure out how to improve the performance of the community, if possible.  With this new information, I can see that there are a lot of queries being run before any pages can be displayed.  I would like to analyze the queries and see if it would be possible to improve or remove many of them.  I can't make any promises though...

I also added a MOD that removes the extra step between posting the message and returning to the thread.  If you normally choose to return to the View Topic page, there are no extra steps.  When the topic page displays you would click on the link at the top to return to the Forum.  So basically this new mod removes one mouse click for those who prefer to return to the thread, while it replaces one mouse click with a different mouse click for those who prefer to return to the forum.  That middle step, which is now gone, has always bothered me and seemed totally unnecessary...

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 02/25/2005 4:47 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
Local time: 5:22 AM
blank.gif
The mark as read problem started for me just yesterday, or whenever I posted this thread. Before that, the threads were marked properly. What has been weird for me all along is that sometimes when I hit the Back button in my browser, it retrieves the previous page from cache, and sometimes it updates from the server.

Good luck with the SQL queries, that sounds messy.

That middle step didn't bother me. I usually clicked the link to return to the thread list, but for the puzzle times I waited to see my post and make sure the image loaded. The new system is fine.
PostPosted: 02/25/2005 5:39 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 6:22 AM
peace.gif
The inconsistent thread marking problem may be related to the removal of the middle step where you can decide to return to the topic or the forum.  It also seems to be causing a missing subject line in the email topic notifications.  This has been brought to the attention of the developer and hopefully (s)he can correct it.  If not, I can always roll back the changes...

Here is the discussion about these new problems in the phpBB forums:  [2.0.11] Redirect User Fix

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Bugs/Suggestions/Comments