alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Added Table, Row, Column BBCodes
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Announcements Add To Bookmarks
Added Table, Row, Column BBCodes
PostPosted: 11/12/2004 11:25 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 7:42 AM
peace.gif
This MOD enables our members to easily create tables in their posts without requiring them to use the table, tr and td HTML tags.  The Table related BBCodes are a bit simpler to understand than their related HTML tags...

Each table is REQUIRED to have a start and end BBCode table tag.  But neither the column nor row BBCodes tags use an closing tag...

i.e.

Compose Window Code for a table with 2 rows and 4 columns...

[table][row][col]test column1[col]test column2[col]test column3[col]test column4[row][col]test column5[col]test column6[col]test column7[col]test column8[/table]

Displays as:

test column1test column2test column3test column4
test column5test column6test column7test column8

There are a few limited attributes that you can set.  I don't know exactly what's available, so you may want to play around with them to see what you can get away with...

Compose Window Code for a table with 2 rows and 4 colored columns...

[table][row][col color=red]test column1[col color=yellow]test column2[col color=blue]test column3[col color=green]test column4[row][col color=pink]test column5[col color=aqua]test column6[col color=maroon]test column7[col color=purple]test column8[/table]

Displays as:

test column1test column2test column3test column4
test column5test column6test column7test column8

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: Added Table, Row, Column BBCodes
PostPosted: 11/13/2004 11:19 AM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 6:42 AM
blank.gif
Thanks, Nightrider! Tables are very useful, and this looks like an easier way to code 'em.  I'll play with it later, but wanted to ask about the columns. In HTML those would be cells, rather than columns. I guess the looser row/column/cell coding allows that?
PostPosted: 11/13/2004 2:08 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I'm not quite certain what you are asking bigR.  I talked to the developer of the Table BBCodes last night and he verified that the color attribute is the only one available in his Table BBCodes.  He said that he would look into adding a few other attributes, but was trying to keep them as simple as possible to make it easier for everyone to understand.  I asked him for the width attribute too but there is no guarantee that he will ever add it...

For very simple Tables, the Table BBCode option would be the easiest.  But if you really want to get fancy with a table, the HTML route is the way to go for now...

If I've misunderstood what you are saying, can you give me some example code of what you would like to do???

wave
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 11/13/2004 10:37 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
blank.gif
Please, Nightrider, you're doing a wonderful job as admin. Don't worry about the table codes, they'll work fine, and I'm happy to have what looks to be an easy way to do tables.

I was just commenting that the columns in BBCode would be called cells in HTML. You see in your example above the red test column 1 is above the pink test column 5. Those would be cell 1 above cell 5, both in the same column, in HTML.  In HTML you have the table row, then cells, and you use a column span attribute when a cell is more than one column wide, but you don't have a column tag as such.

I was just noticing the differences between BBCode and regular HTML, not requesting any changes. As you may have noticed, I seldom use HTML or BBCode in my posts. I'm curious about stuff, not unhappy with it at all.
PostPosted: 11/13/2004 11:28 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
The developer of the Table BBCodes told me today that he would look into adding the additional attributes to his BBCode tags just for us and us alone.  He really wants to keep the default for everyone else simple though.  He seems like a very nice guy who will bend over backwards to make us happy...

He called the cells Columns in his BBCode.  He thinks that most people can understand that better than the HTML terminology.  He's not trying to completely mimic the HTML tags.  He's developed what he feels is a nicer, more user friendly method.  For very simple tables, I have to agree with him...

I told him that the Table BBCodes probably won't be used much in our community though.  They are available just in case...

headbang
PostPosted: 11/14/2004 2:28 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
blank.gif
>>The developer of the Table BBCodes told me today that he would look into adding the additional attributes to his BBCode tags just for us and us alone.<<

Oh my... I didn't mean to be a pest, just my curiosity. He really doesn't need to add anything to the table BBCode; I think it works fine as is. I don't want to make more work and hassle for him! Sad
PostPosted: 11/14/2004 4:45 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
peace.gif
I basically told the developer the same thing.  He may go ahead and make the modifcations anyway though.  That's how many Open Source developers are.  A great many have this overwhelming desire to please, so they go out of their way to make others happy and never ask anything but positive feedback in return.  I don't think it upsets them when we make constructive requests...

headbang
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Announcements