alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
How can I divide my hard disk ?
Goto page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 2:18 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 4:29 AM
peace.gif
this is what I had, and I chose the circled one...

But I guess it'll have to wait. I can't buy a DVD burner.. Sad

Thanks for the help
and the info on partition size helps a ton! I would've made it too big
View user's profile Find all posts by TieDyeQueen Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 3:10 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 6:29 AM
peace.gif
Yes, you chose the right option to install.  Hopefully if it takes 20 CDs to store the image, they will all be good if you ever need them...

Once you get the hdd partitioned, you will be able to store the image there.  Hopefully someday, you will be able to get a DVD burner too so that it won't take so much effort to make a hard copy of the Image...

munky2
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 3:20 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
peace.gif
I have great news!!
Mommy has a memory stick that plugs into USB, and it holds 40GB!
When she goes home(Monday) She will mail it to me! YAY! WOOOOO! Problem solved!
View user's profile Find all posts by TieDyeQueen Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 4:10 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Karen, are you sure that's for storage?  Doesn't that have to do with a camera or something? A reader maybe. Gee, I'm not sure, all this technology is moving way too fast for me!  

I thought the USB storage plugins were Flash Drives.  I don't think I have ever heard them called memory sticks  before

dontknow
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 4:29 PM Reply with quote
Hawk
TieDyeQueen
Hawk
Posts 189
Word Cnt. 10,612
BDay Jan 21
Sign Aquarius
peace.gif
RoseBud wrote:
I thought the USB storage plugins were Flash Drives.  I don't think I have ever heard them called memory sticks  before

Um, yeah, I made a booboo... Embarassed

It's a Flash Drive... I forgot memory sticks are in cameras.. My camera takes a FlashPix card, so I got the stick thingy confused, because the Flash Drive has memory and it looks like a stick dontknow
Rolling Eyes
Re: How can I divide my hard disk ?
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 7:02 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
Local time: 5:29 AM
blank.gif
Quote:
My guide is to keep the majority of my partitions at 20 GB or less.  The smaller the partition, the easier it is to manage and maintain.  It's better to have 3-8 partitions under 20 GB than to have one large one and it limits your risk on each partition.

Why, Blake? How is it easier to manage (or even remember) 8 small partitions, than to manage 3 large ones? New hard drives are humongous, over 200 G, some even 300 G. You'd need 10-15 or more partitions of 20 G or less. Seems to me that'd be harder to manage, and remember what's on what parition.

I have a 200 G hard drive, in 4 partitions -- C: for WinXP and stuff that won't install elsewhere, D: for programs, E: for data, and F: for backups of downloads and stuff. I also have an external hard drive, that's 200 G or so, in 2 partitions. I'm using one for backups, but the other is empty.
PostPosted: 11/03/2005 8:05 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
Nightrider
Site Admin
Posts 30756
Word Cnt. 2,628,678
BDay Jul 28
Sign Leo
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 6:29 AM
peace.gif
Several things make a smaller partition better than a large one.  First, it takes far longer to defrag a large partition.  To run a file search, you have so much more to search through...

If you have a large partition and it fails, you lose everything.  If the data had been shared on several partitions, you would only lose a much smaller amount of data and it would take a lot less to restore backups to that partition...

To create an image, small partition create smaller images.  The larger parttition, the more likely it will be that the image will be split among multiple files, creating the risk that any part could go bad, get damaged, or get lost, destroying the entire image and much more unrecoverable data...

If I devoted more time into it, I imagine I could find a lot more reasons not to use very large partitions.  I would much rather have ten 20 GB partitions than two 100 GB partitions.  As organized as I am, I always know which partition stores my music, which partition stores my backups, which partition stores my install programs, etc...

It's like owning a large house where you know which room to go to when you need something.  The garage stores the car and tools.  The kitchen is for the food and food preporation.  The bathroom, well you know the drill.  I wouldn't want a large house with just one or two rooms.  Why would I want a large HDD with only one or two partitions???

headbang
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by Nightrider Send private message   AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Phoogle Map ICQ Number
Re: How can I divide my hard disk ?
PostPosted: 11/04/2005 5:34 PM Reply with quote
Citation
bigR
Citation
Posts 3489
Word Cnt. 137,488
BDay Mar 5
Sign Pisces
Local time: 5:29 AM
blank.gif
Oh well, I don't make drive images. I store data and software in folders, so I can find everything easily.  I'd rather have a few large partitions than a whole lot of small ones. Wink

Defragging may depend on how fragmented different partitions get. Might take just as long to defrag 10 smaller partitions as 2 big ones. I haven't timed it.
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC