alt : test.swf
Welcome to RCF - WHF
4fx3.gif 
Contact the Webmasters of RCFContact   Invite a friend to Join usRecommend   Chat in IRCChat   EZ Template Change OptionEZStyle   Listen to Internet Radio while you browse...iRadio   See your private message.Login for PMs   Important LinksLinks
Member Website LinksWeb Links   Play/View our GamesGames   Register.Register
calendar_open_closeCalendar 
Ordered a new pc, look out windows 7
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC Add To Bookmarks
Ordered a new pc, look out windows 7
PostPosted: 03/16/2013 4:43 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
Sex Sex:Male
Local time: 8:47 PM
usaCa.gif
Ordered a new pc, look out windows 7 here I come.

After researching and considering refurbished I decided it was too risking so I bought a new hp from hp direct. It is plenty large enough . Here is some details:

p7qe

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64
• 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
• Integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics [DVI-I & DVI-D, DX 10.1]
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
Re: Ordered a new pc, look out windows 7
PostPosted: 03/16/2013 4:53 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
Sex Sex:Female
Local time: 6:47 AM
texasC.gif
Wow, sounds like it's loaded for bear!  Good for you, Dave

blob8
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/18/2013 10:59 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
Already having regrets, I missed the part about adding more usb ports for $10 and hp won't let me change the order, even though it won;t be done for weeks. I will have to buy a hub for $90 and then they said they will refund me $30 after I get the pc. Now I worry of I do this it will count as a rebate and I may not be able to send it back if it's a problematic dud.

Pcs these days are much larger and faster, but after researching I find many people have problems right out of the box, on all the brands I checked on including dell. Check ebay for refurbished pcs, it is an endless list.
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by fishead Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map Visit poster's Blog
PostPosted: 03/18/2013 11:35 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Geez.  I wonder why they couldn't just add a PCI card.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GIC250U-5-Port-USB-Card/dp/B0000683E1

I know what you mean about the reviews, they can drive you nuts.  Some people will love a product and others hate that very same product.  

The refund on the hub shouldn't count as a rebate on the PC, it's a separate item.  Or will that be something built in?  I'm assuming the hub is separate and something you would plug into the PC?

And here are a bunch of Customer reviews

If your PC comes with Norton and you don't want it don't do as the guy did and remove using Add and Remove Programs, go the Norton web site and get a tool to completely remove it.

I think you are going to LOVE the PC, Dave.  Don't worry.

blob8
View all pictures posted by this userView user's profile Find all posts by rb2d2 Send private message   Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
PostPosted: 03/19/2013 4:57 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I have been reading up on it wondering if I couldn't add a card or a part, but from what I found it can't be done. I think the whole usb (& other) port panel would have to be switched, which is too late for now without great expense. I might get the pc sooner than 4 weeks too. The $30 give back is coming off the pc for some reason, they will put it back in my account. They sent me a letter today explaining it all so I feel better about that.

As far as norton, sounds like w7 problems right from the start, I will keep that in mind, but you have to take a grain of salt with some of those reviews.

I also read where with this external port box that I shouldn't use external Hdd with it because power could fluctuate and thats the whole reason I bought it. So I will have to use this second pc as my main instead of the new one maybe. But it has 4 gb of ram, dual proc etc and is plenty fast enough for my work. It's my video pc anyway. But the new one will be great for online, lightning fast.

Thank you for contacting HP Home & Home Office Store.

I see you have the following concerns:

You purchased the HP Pavilion p7-1380t Desktop PC and found out that it only come with 2 USB Ports.
   You wanted to know if you can add the USB ports.
   You see online that if you will upgrade the Productivity ports with an additional ports it is only cost $10.
   You talk to chat agent and recommend you the $90 for port replicator.
   You need us to do more ports of possible and you will pay the $10.

Here are the answers to your concerns, Dave:

HP Pavilion p7-1380t Desktop PC is a great choice. That is extremely popular and is a top seller here in our store due to its features and capabilities. However, I'm very sorry to know that you have an issue with regards on the USB ports since it only has a total of 2 USB ports and you need to have an additional ports. I'm glad that you emailed us so that I can provide you with some assistance.
    Dave, I understand that your top-rated order is still in product and that you wanted to know if it's possible to add a add more ports. As much as we  would love to do that, however, due to security reasons and the nature of our ordering system, we are unable to amend any order information once it has been submitted. I hope that you understand.
   Indeed, since the HP Pavilion p7-1380t Desktop PC is a customizable machine, you have a privilege to configure it base on  your further features needs. When you configure the machine to have a 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 it will only  cost you additional $10 on the starting price of the machine.
   Since you are unable to configure the machine to have the 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 when you placed an order, the port replicator is really the best option for you to have more Ports . However, I'm sorry that you found it expensive. Yet, I'm glad to see that you already placed an order for the HP USB 2.0 Port Replicator on March 18, 2013. I can see that we already process a $30 credit back to your account. This will be released to the bank once your PC will be shipped, and you should see it on your bank statement within five to seven business days, depending on your bank policy.
   I'm really sorry that it's not possible for us to add more ports on the computer that was already submitted and approved, Dave. Thank you for your understanding and for considering the recommendation. Please contact us back if in case you have a question with regards on the $30 credit back to your account once your PC will ship out.

I hope that this information has been of assistance to you, Dave. If you do have any other question or concern, please don't hesitate to contact us back. I'll be more than willing to further assist you if you have more questions.
[/quote]
PostPosted: 03/19/2013 5:19 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Well the USB Port Replicator seems like a neat item to have.  You can plug in a whole bunch of stuff!

Wonder why they didn't make it 3.0 since that's the coming thing.

You did good Dave!!

sunny
PostPosted: 03/20/2013 3:32 PM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
ya but stuff that should be on the back of the pc to begin with. I don't understand why they don't do it, they have to know people need it.

That thing arrived already, not 5-7 bes days like they said, must have over nighted it. The catch is I can only send it back within 30 days, so the sooner I get it the better for them. The pc wont be in for 30 days. I will have to test it on my other pc to be sure it works ok. It only weighs a few ounces but does come with cords.
PostPosted: 03/20/2013 5:06 PM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Quote:
I will have to test it on my other pc to be sure it works ok.

That's a good idea!  Do it soon.  Plug your monitor in too, make sure that works.  Try as many of the plugs as you can.

blob8
PostPosted: 04/17/2013 10:01 AM Reply with quote
Citation
fishead
Citation
Posts 4813
Word Cnt. 427,864
BDay Oct 23
Sign Scorpio
usaCa.gif
I'm really liking my new pc, it is much faster. At first I was disapointed, it is so much lighter and not much inside, but it performs well. Win 7 is ok, I really don't need any of the fancy stuff which doesn't do what I need it to, but I'll check it out more later. Otherwise its ok. Its hard to learn all new, but going well.
PostPosted: 04/17/2013 10:42 AM Reply with quote
Site Admin
rb2d2
Site Admin
Posts 49593
Word Cnt. 2,756,445
BDay Apr 22
Sign Taurus
texasC.gif
Good for you! Go with the flow Dave and look for the positives.  Less stressful than kicking and screaming and trying to swim upstream.  LOL

You do a lot of computing and know a lot about computers in general, you work hard to learn something new and in the end you succeed.  You will have a work grove worked out in no time.

Best of luck!

wave  blob8  wave
Information
Welcome to RCF - WHF Forum Index -> Talk PC